Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:18 PM

140 posts, read 178,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I have an apartment in Tysons that I reside in about one week per month at this point (with the rest of the time in Houston) and none of that is true. SafeTrack has been done on the Silver Line, the Metro is much more reliable than it has been...
not really

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.81205ca15299
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 02:20 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I guess then Boston makes sense.

Just sticking to U.S. cities, here are my most likely guesses:

Atlanta
Boston
Northern Virginia
Austin or Dallas
North Carolina (Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte)

Maybe Pittsburgh or Chicago, and even Denver, depending on how far away they want to be from Seattle...

I don't think TX is as much of a long-shot as people think. I'm not saying it's a favorite, but with the recent Whole Foods merger and all the other recent Corporate relocations here, and the two airports, I have to think it's at least in their sights.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM

63 posts, read 80,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
These all make sense. I will also add:

San Francisco
Austin
Denver
Phoenix

If Dallas, I would look to Irving area.....
Raleigh, RTP area should definitely be in top contenders list.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:37 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Just sticking to U.S. cities, here are my most likely guesses:

Atlanta
Boston
Northern Virginia
Austin or Dallas
North Carolina (Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte)

Maybe Pittsburgh or Chicago, and even Denver, depending on how far away they want to be from Seattle...

I don't think TX is as much of a long-shot as people think. I'm not saying it's a favorite, but with the recent Whole Foods merger and all the other recent Corporate relocations here, and the two airports, I have to think it's at least in their sights.
Prior corporate relocations here were motivated by different forces/reasons. Cheapness being the main one. A workforce being the other.

This HQ will be looking to be "an equal" to the Seattle one and knowing that... its hard to see how Texas cities can beat out the other contenders. They have some things going for them, cheapness still being one, but are missing a lot from that list.

The main one being a 50k strong Tech/Software savvy workforce LOCALLY with a steady stream of STEM graduates form reputable STEM schools in the region waiting behind them. This isn't a relocation from their current HQ like Toyota was.

Also, workforce diversity is a very big thing in software development. A global workforce is essential. Texas, Global... STEM...logistics...

I don't see it. But money may talk. We'll see.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:37 PM

537 posts, read 597,625 times
According to WFAA today, Amazon is looking to open up their 2nd HQ somewhere in the midwest or rust belt. Not Texas.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:46 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Prior corporate relocations here were motivated by different forces/reasons. Cheapness being the main one. A workforce being the other.

This HQ will be looking to be "an equal" to the Seattle one and knowing that... its hard to see how Texas cities can beat out the other contenders. They have some things going for them, cheapness still being one, but are missing a lot from that list.

The main one being a 50k strong Tech/Software savvy workforce LOCALLY with a steady stream of STEM graduates form reputable STEM schools in the region waiting behind them. This isn't a relocation from their current HQ like Toyota was.

Also, workforce diversity is a very big thing in software development. A global workforce is essential. Texas, Global... STEM...logistics...

I don't see it. But money may talk. We'll see.
True...those are fair points

Old 09-07-2017, 03:28 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
I'm surprised no one mentions the Amazon-Whole Foods merger DAYS AGO.
It is very possible that Amazon HQ2 will be in a metroplex full of Whole Foods, so that it can supervise the operation closely.
DFW, Chicago, Boston could be good candidates.

Good point...Texas is the home of Whole Foods.I think Boston and Austin will be on the top of the list with Dallas being a close 3rd option at this point.

Last edited by CREW747; 09-07-2017 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 03:47 PM

149 posts, read 162,980 times
NY is the front runner in This race. Its tech prowess is demonstrated by, among other things, the fact that it's Google's second biggest location.

Also, the fact that Israel's most prestigious tech school has partnered with Cornell on the new tech center is huge. Those institutions, together with Columbia, and nearby Princeton and Yale, are unbeatable.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:10 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,898 times
"Under a “decision drivers” part, Amazon asks cities to identify incentive programs available for HQ2 including tax credits/exemptions, relocation grants, workforce grants, utility incentives, permitting, and fee reductions. Amazon notes that “the initial cost and ongoing cost of doing business are critical decision drivers.”

It's going to go to the lowest bidder so I doubt that will be Texas.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:21 PM

455 posts, read 578,191 times
They will run from Texas when they find out how backwards it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas