Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,942 times

Advertisements

Recently moved to Allen from East coast. When we inquired about the schools here , some of our friends mentioned about the charter school in McKinney and how it is better for education than a public school.
We are planning on buying a house soon and thinking of buying it in McKinney , so that it will be near to school. So my question , are the charter schools really better than public schools. Specially McKinney charter school ? is it ok to buy a house in McKinney for that reason ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 05:15 PM

9,545 posts, read 7,004,571 times
Wouldn't your child still have to be accepted at that charter school? Aren't charter school placements done by lottery?

Old 09-16-2017, 11:01 AM

446 posts, read 838,371 times
Are you talking about the Imagine Charter school in McKinney? If so, that is based on a lottery system for admission.

I have heard mixed things about the school. My neighbor pulled his 1st grader after 1 semester (or 2, I forget), because his wife wasn't happy w the way the curriculum was structured. From what he described, it sounds like the early grades aren't as focused on building the basic math/reading/etc. skills. He claimed the early years are more focused on developing the child's "soft skills" wrt behavior, outlook and personality. He was willing to deal w it for long-term success, but the final straw was that his wife was apparently spending 20 mins in the pickup carpool line daily and was sick of it lol.

Generally speaking though, I've met a few parents who tried it and ended up putting their children back in the FISD schools because they weren't happy for one reason or another.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:58 PM

22 posts, read 31,239 times
My child attends Imagine and we are happy with the school. Yes, the morning and afternoon carpools are crazy. Mornings you are supposed to drop the kids latest by 7.30am, else they get a tardy slip (PYP grades). Afternoon carpool lines are pretty long; but moves very quick once the pickup starts at 3.15pm. I have seen great development in my kid, socially and academically. In the last year's STAAR tests, Imagine stood out compared to other MISD schools. The admission is based on lottery system.

I have no experience with the ISDs, but hear they are great as well. Its matter of personal choices.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,942 times
Thanks for the replies.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:55 AM

419 posts, read 548,964 times
Isnt there also half days every Wednesday at Imagine? That would be a deal breaker for me. Ive heard mixed reviews as well. People going for a year or two and then bailing, others who are happy. I think it depends on your academic philosophy.

Depending on where you live in Allen, the schools could be excellent. Evans was just ranked 1st or 2nd in the state by Niche. Whether you put stock in that particular ranking company is up to you. The other elementaries in West Allen are just as highly regarded. Ereckson MS is also very highly regarded.

That said, I'm a New England transplant, zoned to Evans, and my kids are in Montessori instead. I plan to switch them to public in 4th grade.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keribeth818 View Post
Isnt there also half days every Wednesday at Imagine? That would be a deal breaker for me. Ive heard mixed reviews as well. People going for a year or two and then bailing, others who are happy. I think it depends on your academic philosophy.

Depending on where you live in Allen, the schools could be excellent. Evans was just ranked 1st or 2nd in the state by Niche. Whether you put stock in that particular ranking company is up to you. The other elementaries in West Allen are just as highly regarded. Ereckson MS is also very highly regarded.

That said, I'm a New England transplant, zoned to Evans, and my kids are in Montessori instead. I plan to switch them to public in 4th grade.
Many schools in Allen, Plano, Frisco are much better than charter schools or even mediocre private schools (IMO). Take a look at http://childrenatrisk.org/2017-school-rankings/
for ratings, and ratings analysis and make your own jugdement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas