Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 02:05 PM

113 posts, read 113,698 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some a place to stay for a month until I can get on my feet. I recently moved to Dallas with around 5k and looking for temporary stay while I look for a job. I'm looking for part time work also but more concern with full time in tech. I'm staying in a hotel right now in Addison but looking for another location soon. I've checked roommate.com, craigslist, and went to a couple meetup groups to meet others. Anyone know places that would be less than $230/week. I'm not looking for anything fancy just somewhere there isn't going to be a lot of problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 06:37 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenm85 View Post
I'm looking for some a place to stay for a month until I can get on my feet. I recently moved to Dallas with around 5k and looking for temporary stay while I look for a job. I'm looking for part time work also but more concern with full time in tech. I'm staying in a hotel right now in Addison but looking for another location soon. I've checked roommate.com, craigslist, and went to a couple meetup groups to meet others. Anyone know places that would be less than $230/week. I'm not looking for anything fancy just somewhere there isn't going to be a lot of problems.

Try Googling for hostels, they are very cheap

Cheap Dallas Hostels - Search all Hostels in Dallas at Hostels.com

Old 09-18-2017, 10:02 PM

537 posts, read 598,098 times
Renting a room off Craigslist or another similar site would be a good option. Many people are renting rooms for as low as $400/month if not lower.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:00 PM

113 posts, read 113,698 times
The jobs I'm looking at are between $18 to $22 an hour for a full time position. However some are wanting to pay $16. I don't have kids, don't go out much, and live cheaply. What areas would be best to live in. I know it depends where I work but want might be good locations. I'm planning on renting after a month of waiting for a couple paychecks. Rent I'd like it to stay around 800 and below. That is not including utilities but I will figure that out later.

Anyone think that $16 an hour would be an OK wage for starters just for 6 months to a year?

Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
The only way you will find $800 or below in a safe area is if you are roommates or renting a room from someone.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:43 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
You need to live close to your work. Commuting long distances gets expensive. Hopefully you can find a roommate or rent a room from someone nearby to minimize your expenses.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 AM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenm85 View Post
The jobs I'm looking at are between $18 to $22 an hour for a full time position. However some are wanting to pay $16. I don't have kids, don't go out much, and live cheaply. What areas would be best to live in. I know it depends where I work but want might be good locations. I'm planning on renting after a month of waiting for a couple paychecks. Rent I'd like it to stay around 800 and below. That is not including utilities but I will figure that out later.

Anyone think that $16 an hour would be an OK wage for starters just for 6 months to a year?
You need to work backwards. Plug $16 into an online salary calculator to calculate your net weekly pay for Texas. Multiply by 52, divide by 12, to get your avg monthly pay (note some months will pay less than others due to # of Fridays in the month, so you'll need some cash for a cushion for shorter months).

Start subtracting all your expected monthly costs. Don't forget about 1x charges that come up like your annual car registration, insurance, oil changes, etc. etc. Put aside $100-$200/mo for miscellaneous expenses you might not think about.

What's left over is what you can afford for rent.

You'll want to rent near where you work. If not, you'll need to add more to your monthly budget for gas/tolls/maintenance etc.

For $800 rent you'll probably need to be a roommate somewhere, or live in a less desirable area. Look for less desirable areas that are still safe, use the Trulia crime map to help you. With no kids, you don't need good schools, so that might help you out. Would drive by the neighborhood to scope it out as well.

I have no idea if $16 is an ok wage for starters - the important thing is if it's enough to pay all your bills after doing the exercise I just mentioned. Ideally you'll want 3-6 months of reserve expenses in case anything unforeseen happens as well.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: