Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:46 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
To be fair, other than their low performing high school and longer commute, I like Allen as much as I like Plano or other suburbs. However, DFW towns are so intertwined that their is really no small town feel or distinction anywhere. You don't even notice when you left one and entered another.
It's pretty sad that other cities are like that. Murphy is very much a small town feel. And it's not just about schools either. People know each other here. They support each other and our local businesses. Sure some are chains, but a lot of those chains are actually franchises owned by our neighbors. We lots of neighborhood events, and city events. People are actually friendly to their neighbors. We support our animal control and know the two officers by name. We have the police and fire out to block parties and our school resource officers are celebrities. Even people on the Wylie ISD side know dancing Officer Fred who serves the PISD elementaries.

Last year we raised $40K in three days to get one of the school crossing guards a new trailer home for him, his wife and the grandkids they are raising.

Oh and one of the folks I met on here who moved into my neighborhood last year came to our HOA meeting last night. He came because he wanted to get to know folks. I'd actually already gotten to know his wife and daughter at our Fourth of July bike parade for our neighborhood.

I wish all communities could be as blessed with the small town feel Murphy has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 02:00 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
Allen High is low performing?

Old 09-20-2017, 02:01 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
I wish all communities could be as blessed with the small town feel Murphy has.
I've always felt it's because most of the suburbs don't have a main street, so civic events happen 'everywhere' and 'everywhere' is essentially placeless.

In a small town, every big event happens near or on main street.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:12 PM

427 posts, read 493,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Allen High is low performing?
It's hobby to few people on this board to say that about Allen and Plano as the best on earth. They talk and talk and talk about Plano and no one gets bored or tired. But if some facts are posted about Allen, it's rude, defensive, marketing, tiresome and what not? and it's funny most of those comments are from people who doesn't live here. Example, this year got about 21 NMSF - definitely respectable and one of the best overall as a district in DFW. May not be great, but no way low performing. If it is low performing, what about McKinney and other schools in Frisco, Prosper, etc.? Then they get into the number of students, %, big high school blah, blah - some how will try to downplay. All hundreds and thousands of people moving here cannot live in West Plano because it has 70 NMSF.

As I said already, repeating again (if you are tired, ignore like Plano posts) Allen high school has all round fantastic facilitates (sports, music/band, IB program, new STEAM center, excellent infrastructure) it's up to individuals to make use of those based on their interests.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 09-20-2017 at 03:14 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 04:01 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
Not a single repeat in their top 10 in the last four years.

Allen is #2 in 2017
Plano was #3 in 2016
Coppell was #8 in 2015
McKinney was #1 in 2014

Pretty clear this is just marketing fodder.
Wrong. Can't speak for Allen or Coppell, but McKinney and Plano have both been ranked highly, and consistently.

McKinney first made the list in 2008 at #14, in 2010 they were #5, in 2012 they were #2, and in 2014 they were #1.

https://www.mckinneytexas.org/1017/1-Best-Place-to-Live

Plano is much the same, they used to rank very highly in the same evaluation tier that McKinney is now in, but now they are not competing directly because Plano is now above 250k people. Money Magazine switches up their Best Places to Live list every year and rotates it from cities under 100k, to 100-250k, and 250k and up. For 2016 they used all new criteria, because there were both small and large cities on their list, but not sure exactly how they measured. For 2017, they were looking at cities between 10k and 100k people.

So obviously, that eliminates McKinney and Plano from consideration this year.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:03 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
You can take it with whatever amount of salt you want. But everything I said are facts. For this year Allen#2 is a fact. If you are tiresome to the facts in few posts, what about the other posts about Plano, Frisco etc. being repeatedly posted on these boards? All of them selling homes?

It is obvious some people can't stand the facts. And that's normal, I understand.
LOL

You're a worse cheerleader for Allen than anyone I've seen for other cities on this board.

Now that's what you call a fact.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:05 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
Not a single repeat in their top 10 in the last four years.

Allen is #2 in 2017
Plano was #3 in 2016
Coppell was #8 in 2015
McKinney was #1 in 2014

Pretty clear this is just marketing fodder.
Was Frisco ever on the list?

Old 09-20-2017, 04:55 PM

427 posts, read 493,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
LOL

You're a worse cheerleader for Allen than anyone I've seen for other cities on this board.

Now that's what you call a fact.
Oh is it? you can say whatever you want, I have no control on that. I got many offline positive ratings for my messages. Each of them have valid points with details. And my responses are based on specific topics and the tone reflects the tone of original poster. Those who cannot stand or constructively answer my points straightforward will brag like you. As it is easy to divert and say something rubbish than to have a meaningful discussion. I don't care though.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:56 PM

371 posts, read 553,647 times
I have no issues with Allen and it's a perfectly nice town. I did take issue with your rudeness towards BigD who is a long time poster here and has provided a lot of valuable insight.

It's fine for you to praise Allen - however, you seem to have a canned response (literally verbatim - parks, STEAM academy, how awesome everything is etc. etc.) for any thread on this board where you come in and boost Allen - hence my question if you were a realtor with a marketing blurb about Allen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
You can take it with whatever amount of salt you want. But everything I said are facts. For this year Allen#2 is a fact. If you are tiresome to the facts in few posts, what about the other posts about Plano, Frisco etc. being repeatedly posted on these boards? All of them selling homes?

It is obvious some people can't stand the facts. And that's normal, I understand.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:22 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I've always felt it's because most of the suburbs don't have a main street, so civic events happen 'everywhere' and 'everywhere' is essentially placeless.

In a small town, every big event happens near or on main street.
True but to be fair Allen has a population of 100,000 with a highway dividing east and west, it's just not possible to creat a small town feel. One school philosophy is bursting at the seams serving football at the cost of academics.

Murphy is a much smaller town with population around 25k, if they try then they can creat a small town feel, however they share schools with Plano, Parker and PISD side of NE Richardson so not one small school feel. I've friends in Murphy, Far East Plano and NE Richardson, around Renner and Murphy Road area, it's hard to tell when you left one town and entered another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas