Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:50 PM

21 posts, read 35,830 times

Advertisements

Another thing I find different in DFW(compared to NE) is multiple builders building houses in the same subdivision. It gives buyers lot of choice in terms of builder, plan, lot etc. However, in some subdivisions I find some highly reputed and one or two not-so-reputed builders building in the same community. For e.g. I came across a neighbourhood that has Highland and First Texas homes. While Highland seems to have a great reputation and resale-ability, First Texas doesn't seem to have the same reputation. If I like Highland home in such a community, can I go ahead buy it? Does the presence First Texas homes bring down the value of Highland homes in the long run?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 08:10 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
Gee I thought First Texas had a good rep

Old 10-03-2017, 07:59 AM

3,066 posts, read 8,404,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYfaninCowboyLand View Post
Another thing I find different in DFW(compared to NE) is multiple builders building houses in the same subdivision. It gives buyers lot of choice in terms of builder, plan, lot etc. However, in some subdivisions I find some highly reputed and one or two not-so-reputed builders building in the same community. For e.g. I came across a neighbourhood that has Highland and First Texas homes. While Highland seems to have a great reputation and resale-ability, First Texas doesn't seem to have the same reputation. If I like Highland home in such a community, can I go ahead buy it? Does the presence First Texas homes bring down the value of Highland homes in the long run?
You can take the most reputable builder and least reputable builder and place them in the same development with the real difference between the two being the Construction Supervisor running the build! Seen that plenty of times and even two different supervisors from the same builder being vastly different in quality.

As for the resale value of the home with a builder with a supposed not so good reputation only time and the other owners actions will tell. Even a well constructed home needs to be properly maintained and if they are not they can just as easily bring down property values and resale potentials. Of course the resale values can also be hit by any number of factors inside and outside of that development.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:13 AM

445 posts, read 413,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYfaninCowboyLand View Post
For resale, you will not have a problem finding buyers for reputable builder's homes. However, comps usually suffer for the better homes and less reputable builder's homes get the benefit. This is because the appraisers just pick recent sales from the neighborhood to come up with average price and does not care about who built it.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:15 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,741,813 times
We have a variety in our neighborhood including Grand.

This year when I protested my taxes I learned that the quality of builder will forever affect your appraised value. At least in Collin County. I have a Sotherby and it is listed with different level code than Grand or Goodman (now K Hov). And we are assessed more because the quality of initial materials was higher than what the other two used. And they base that on the initial permits.

Other things we've noticed is the people who purchase cheaper houses seem to not maintain them as well. Not all by any means but the percentage is definitely higher than with the Sotherby, Shaddock, Park Avenue, M Christopher etc homes in our neighborhood.

Caveat our M Christopher are all from when Cleve Adamson was with the company and not the recent stuff.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:21 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,741,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
For resale, you will not have a problem finding buyers for reputable builder's homes. However, comps usually suffer for the better homes and less reputable builder's homes get the benefit. This is because the appraisers just pick recent sales from the neighborhood to come up with average price and does not care about who built it.
We had a realtor in our neighborhood for years and she was very good about pulling comps from the same builder. I know who built every home in my neighborhood and I'll be requesting that as well when we eventually sell. Plus our realtor lives nearby and also knows the neighborhood well enough to understand the request.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 AM

21 posts, read 35,830 times
Thank you for your replies. My observation is also that comps will suffer and it has to be carefully managed when it is time to sell. This adds another complexity to the decision making process.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:44 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Gee I thought First Texas had a good rep
They do. They usually offer a little more value for the money. I'd highly recommend First Texas.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:14 PM

445 posts, read 413,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
We had a realtor in our neighborhood for years and she was very good about pulling comps from the same builder. I know who built every home in my neighborhood and I'll be requesting that as well when we eventually sell. Plus our realtor lives nearby and also knows the neighborhood well enough to understand the request.
I didn't mean realtor comps, I was talking about appraiser comps that the lenders use - either for resale or refinance. If the lender's appraisal comes in lower than contracted price, the buyer comes back to seller and asks for lowered price.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:22 PM

537 posts, read 597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
You can take the most reputable builder and least reputable builder and place them in the same development with the real difference between the two being the Construction Supervisor running the build! Seen that plenty of times and even two different supervisors from the same builder being vastly different in quality.

As for the resale value of the home with a builder with a supposed not so good reputation only time and the other owners actions will tell. Even a well constructed home needs to be properly maintained and if they are not they can just as easily bring down property values and resale potentials. Of course the resale values can also be hit by any number of factors inside and outside of that development.
This is so true and is why you can't generalize the quality of any particular builder.

DR Horton for example gets a reputation as a lower quality production builder, but some of their construction supervisors have also done stellar work on multi million dollar homes, and they also do great work on the little $250k homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas