Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:37 AM

212 posts, read 1,154,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutchins View Post
...there are no insults being hurled from others... Noone implied that you were ignorant or uninformed or brainwashed
Maybe it wasn't the intention, but quotes like these:
Quote:
If a family is told that they are high risk or need an intervention in the process, do they take the time to ask for a second opnion or do research on their own? Not usually

it sounds like you are accepting the bill of goods that has been sold to the American public!

That's why every other women leaves with an "I almost died" or "the baby could have died" story. It's good for repeat business and it makes sure you will always be a good, obedient and grateful little patient who will never question THE WAY WE DO IT. Indoctrinated for life.

DO come off as implying that those NOT seeking natural child birth are ignorant, uninformed, and brainwashed, and are insulting to those that made an informed decision to birth in a hospital.
Of course I can't speak for others, but that's the way I read these comments.

Quote:
I don't think it makes people's birth choices 'more ignorant' as you called it...

This is disingenous. Your other posts on this topic imply that you do believe people choosing OB-GYN/Hospital births are making an ignorant birthing decision. Maybe I have more faith in the average american woman than you do, but I think most women are intelligent, educated, and do their homework when it comes to their prenatal and birth care- even if they didn't chose the same birth plan as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 AM

10 posts, read 66,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlosmTX View Post
Maybe it wasn't the intention, but quotes like these:
[/font][/color]

DO come off as implying that those NOT seeking natural child birth are ignorant, uninformed, and brainwashed, and are insulting to those that made an informed decision to birth in a hospital.

This is disingenous. Your other posts on this topic imply that you do believe people choosing OB-GYN/Hospital births are making an ignorant birthing decision. Maybe I have more faith in the average american woman than you do, but I think most women are intelligent, educated, and do their homework when it comes to their prenatal and birth care- even if they didn't chose the same birth plan as you.
Maybe I should have put a smiley there, but disingenous I am not! If you read my previous posts you will find that I had two great natural hospital births before moving out of the hospital setting. I'm not saying that birthing in a hospital is a bad decision, but birthing in a hospital with a provider that doesn't support normal natural birth and expecting to have a normal/natural outcome is counter intuative. Just like a provider (and yes there can be overzealous midwives in hospitals that like to medically manage births too) that says a baby is going to be 9+ lbs. and then baby is born at 5 lb 4 oz (which I saw happen just a few weeks ago). People accept what they hear. If people actually knew the info that ultrasounds have a 2.2 lb margin of error in the later trimesters, why would someone choose to use that as an accurate measure of baby.

I am simply saying that even if you want an epidural, most moms would prefer a vaginal birth to a surgical birth. Avoiding the epidural until labor is established, highly productive, and past 5+ cm helps the mom to achieve that goal. Lack of education gives people false hopes that they will always be given exactly what they want, and that isn't necessarially the case. It does require that parents seek out accurate current information and not just accept that 'What to Expect When You are Expecting' is the end all of pregnancy information.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:37 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutchins View Post
Maybe I should have put a smiley there, but disingenous I am not! If you read my previous posts you will find that I had two great natural hospital births before moving out of the hospital setting. I'm not saying that birthing in a hospital is a bad decision, but birthing in a hospital with a provider that doesn't support normal natural birth and expecting to have a normal/natural outcome is counter intuative. Just like a provider (and yes there can be overzealous midwives in hospitals that like to medically manage births too) that says a baby is going to be 9+ lbs. and then baby is born at 5 lb 4 oz (which I saw happen just a few weeks ago). People accept what they hear. If people actually knew the info that ultrasounds have a 2.2 lb margin of error in the later trimesters, why would someone choose to use that as an accurate measure of baby.

I am simply saying that even if you want an epidural, most moms would prefer a vaginal birth to a surgical birth. Avoiding the epidural until labor is established, highly productive, and past 5+ cm helps the mom to achieve that goal. Lack of education gives people false hopes that they will always be given exactly what they want, and that isn't necessarially the case. It does require that parents seek out accurate current information and not just accept that 'What to Expect When You are Expecting' is the end all of pregnancy
information.
It's awful that I can't rep you for this post. You are so clear, loving and patient in your responses. Did you ever think of writing a book on the subject?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:32 PM

415 posts, read 1,718,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlosmTX View Post
Maybe it wasn't the intention, but quotes like these DO come off as implying that those NOT seeking natural child birth are ignorant, uninformed, and brainwashed, and are insulting to those that made an informed decision to birth in a hospital.

This is disingenuous. Your other posts on this topic imply that you do believe people choosing OB-GYN/Hospital births are making an ignorant birthing decision. Maybe I have more faith in the average american woman than you do, but I think most women are intelligent, educated, and do their homework when it comes to their prenatal and birth care- even if they didn't chose the same birth plan as you.
I'm going to have to agree here. I was told that most likely my two friends had problems because of interventions, without my ever having said what their issues were. I couldn't POSSIBLY know better than complete strangers.

Since my first post, I've become pregnant. I've researched natural birth options in the area and have chosen to go to the hospital due to my risk factors. Although this is what my ob/gyn wants, I didn't blindly accept it. We have opted not to do any testing other than blood tests and ultrasounds (although I'd rather not do those, either) so I want my baby born where there are resources to take care of him, should it be needed.

I'm all for natural, but lets keep in mind that women in Africa and other developing nations who have all natural births have increased risk of fistulas, which can ostracize them from society, get them kicked out of their own families. I wonder who is against medical intervention then...

Old 07-08-2008, 11:59 AM

5 posts, read 21,611 times
Question Please help imme.

Hi, my OB is currently with the Medical Center Plano (15th str & Coit). How good is this hospital for natural child birth and infant care? Please reply asap - if it is good enough I will have to join their childbirth classes starting this weekend.
Thanks!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstpreg View Post
Hi, my OB is currently with the Medical Center Plano (15th str & Coit). How good is this hospital for natural child birth and infant care? Please reply asap - if it is good enough I will have to join their childbirth classes starting this weekend.
Thanks!
They are fine, better than Plano Presby. I've had many students use the hospital with good outcomes, and have a former student that is a NICU nurse there... birthed there 3 times herself for natural births. If you are looking for natural childbirth, the hospital based classes aren't going to empower that option. Most hospital classes, including those labeled 'natural', focus on hospital policies and procedures, when you can have your meds, etc. I'm willing to say that having a baby there can be good, but so much depends on who you choose for your provider, that can truly be the crux of the issue. You should check out info on alternative birthing methods if you really want a good childbirth class. Those that teach in a hospital have to teach what the hospital directs. You can find great classes with independent instructors and get more of the research based best practice standards by going outside of hospital classes. Make sure that your instructor has actually had a birth themselves, and if it is a natural class that they have had natural births themselves... hard to teach how to do it if you've never done it! If you need suggestions of instructors in certain areas, feel free to ask and I'll happily give you some suggestions.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 PM

Thank you shutchins!

My Ob suggested the hospital class since it also includes the hospital tour. However, if they don't support natural childbirth, I would rather not do it at the hospital.

Would you know any classes which support natural birthing in the plano-richardson area? We are currently staying in North east Richardson.

Thanks again!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 PM

If you want to stay in Richardson, check out Linda Worzer www.naturalbeginningsonline.com who is a fellow Bradley Method teacher. She is fabulous, a childbirth educator, lactation consultant, doula, doula trainer, etc... for evidence based classes in your area, I would reach out to her first. If that doesn't work, look at www.bradleybirth.com for other Bradley Inst. in the area, or www.cherishbirth.com who is Delilah Ray (not Bradley, but good teacher). Brenda Shumway teaches out of Lovers Lane Birth Center, and that might be another option. I'm biased, but for info, techniques, and overall education (and success rates), Bradley far exceeds most. If you are more of the hypnobirthing line, you can search out their instructors locally too. Let me know if you need more info!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:47 PM

Thanks again!

Whew! I had an impression that Lamaze was the preferred method for natural birth. Thanks for the links - I want to do something which is cost-effective also.

How do I make sure that I get to have a natural drug-free delivery (that is not induced artificially) even in the hospital? Is a birth plan effective? Is it referred to in the actual situation?

Old 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
shutchins has given you very useful and practical advice.

Bradley is the best natural method - I took classes from Linda's partner, Sharon Mattes over 5 yrs ago. I found it to be an excellent reminder for everything I forgot from 10 yrs ago when I had my first son.

If you truly want a natural birth, you need to be educated on your rights...what you can/can't do and refuse. You will need direction to choose a provider who can help you accomplish your goals. You can find this direction from the Bradley classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas