U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 10:01 AM

11 posts, read 167,050 times

Advertisements

Ok I've seen this thread a million times, but never with the caveat that we're moving with 3-4 horses.

My wife and I are relocating from Arizona to either Austin or Dallas. Now, obviously with horses we'll be on the outskirts of the city, not in it. We're looking to spend a maximum of $250k. Here's what's important to us:

1) Trees/grass. This sounds stupid, but after living in the desert for years, it's something we really want. We don't want to live in the middle of a prairie with nothing to see for miles. I know Austin wins in the scenery department, but from some of the real estate ads I've seen, there are plenty of properties in the DFW that have large trees and grass for both us (landscaping) and the horses for grazing. We just don't know which areas to avoid (prairie towns) or what to focus on.

2) Accessibility of riding trails close by. We trail ride off our property right now which is nice. Not something that's a deal breaker on a house, but somewhat scenic trail rides would be nice (again, trees/grass, etc).

3) Accessibility of amenities. We're looking at a MAXIMUM commute time of maybe 40 minutes to major shopping, dining, etc. We both work from home so a job commute isn't an issue.

4) My wife rides English unless she's trail riding (Hunter Under Saddle). Will she be the only one in Texas? =D Or is there something for her to do there as well?

Basically just looking for some input from horse people about what we might find that Joe Realtor isn't going to know about.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 06:21 PM

11,189 posts, read 24,460,651 times
Aubrey, Pilot Point, and Tioga are MAJOR horse country! Sunnyvale is also excellent for people with horses. Unfortunately, your price range isn't going to buy much in these areas. Most homes and land there are significantly more expensive, especially with enough land for horses. Coppell is quickly becoming NOT horse-friendly any more due to city zoning and developers turning pastures into subdivisions. And again, nothing in your price range.

Check out Sanger. It is more up-and-coming horse country so you can still find good properties there for decent prices. See if you can find places that are on sandy soil. The black clay that much of North Texas has is horrible for horses. It will pull off shoes and makes a nasty mess when it rains!

Austin, while beautiful, has even more expensive real estate than Dallas, and you'll have to go quite some distance from the city to find horse-friendly places. Also watch for rockier land down there. This will make shoes a necessity and they are expensive!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,283 times
Default Dallas Area for Horses

One more idea I'd like to throw out is Northeast Texas -- specifically the Sulphur Springs area. While 70 miles east of downtown Dallas, it's an easy trip (right off of I-30 a major interstate) and there is "town" much of the way in terms of suburbs and smaller towns.
We have the most wonderful sandy soil and tons of trees. We moved out here from the Dallas area last year with our horses and family and love it.
It's also becoming a big horse area, with something going on all the time (the city even has an equine pavillion) and there's a strong horseman's group called Northeast Texas Horseman's Assocation, [url=http://nethorsemen.com]Northeast Texas Horsemen's Association[/url] There's showing, any kind of cattle event you could want, and English. We're close to 3 major lakes, and Cooper has a great horse trail around it. Plus, you are right on the brink of East Texas with the pine trees nearby (we have lots of oak trees on our property, which are really pretty).
Oh, and $250K will still buy you quite a bit out here. Ssshhh. Don't tell too many people how great it is out here Although we have all the amenities (hospital, great schools, even a little airport) it still feels small town.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:21 PM

12 posts, read 37,088 times
Hello,
I read your posting and I live in a Horse community called
Flower Mound. It is a lovely family community with great
schools. We have been here for almost five years and have
loved it. Thanks!

Laurie

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 12-07-2009 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: deleted solicitation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas