Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 11:39 PM

77 posts, read 90,015 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I need a little help. We are looking for a permanent place in Dallas area but as of right now nobody will take our 3 dogs so we are going to be staying in our rv instead of hotels. we have depleted all of our savings in hotels. But the biggest thing is finding a place close to North Dallas High School, 3120 N Haskell Ave, Dallas, TX 75204. We have a daughter going there who is in ROTC and we don't want to move her till we are sure where we are going to be. Most RV parks I am finding are 30 minutes away or more by car so that means no bus and our work schedules will be difficult to swing dropping her off and picking up.

If anyone knows of any places that is dog friendly long term stay we have a 5th wheel rv 2012 so in descent condition. I would greatly appreciate it and any suggestions thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 11:56 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
30 min away is not considered much of a commute in the DFW area.....even if you find something in Dallas (likely in a scary neighborhood) you’ll probably be driving 20 min to get to the high school. However, there should be a DART bus between Mesquite and Dallas that might make this place workable in a stretch. http://www.plantationplacerv.com

Old 11-01-2017, 12:43 AM

Thank you will look into this place. I know the buses do go a distance because we are near Candlewood in the lovefield area and she gets a bus so will have to see if I can get bus routes maybe we will get lucky

Old 11-01-2017, 01:14 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
All I can find anywhere near North Dallas High School are Timberstone Mobile Home Park which is on the other side of 35, Sunset Mobile Home Park south of 30 and Dallas Mobile Home Park also south of 30. I don't know which high schools serve any of them and that can be a concern. Since you have been staying in hotels I assume you have been working through the McKinney-Vento assistance act to keep your child at North Dallas? I'm not sure how that works if you move her out of the attendance zone. RV parks within the city Dallas are far and few between. Wishing you luck in your search!

Old 11-01-2017, 02:49 AM

Haven't heard of that we have been staying in extended stay so were able to use as a permanent address. But will check that out too thank you for all the info. And yes I see there are not many in Dallas was just hoping not to shuffle around too much. We are putting our dog through training as a therapy dog for PTSD for a family member so that may help us find a place eventually but have to do something for now.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:23 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcm1232 View Post
Haven't heard of that we have been staying in extended stay so were able to use as a permanent address. But will check that out too thank you for all the info. And yes I see there are not many in Dallas was just hoping not to shuffle around too much. We are putting our dog through training as a therapy dog for PTSD for a family member so that may help us find a place eventually but have to do something for now.
Staying in an extended stay you may very well qualify under the act. Request a meeting at your daughter's school and bring it up. Educators and school officials don't want your child shuffled around anymore than you do. Stability is a huge key to education.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:34 AM

59 posts, read 71,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Staying in an extended stay you may very well qualify under the act. Request a meeting at your daughter's school and bring it up. Educators and school officials don't want your child shuffled around anymore than you do. Stability is a huge key to education.
If you are currently in an extended stay hotel, your daughter should be able to stay at North Dallas through McKinney-Vento:

https://www.dallasisd.org/Page/47537

If you end up living outside of the North Dallas attendance zone, it should be straightforward to transfer in through DISD's newly revised transfer policy. It allows transfers into most schools that are not overcrowded (and North Dallas is not listed at overcrowded). It is even possible to transfer in from out-of-district:

https://www.dallasisd.org/studenttransfers

Definitely talk with school officials to make sure that you are following the protocols, but she should be able to stay at North Dallas as long as she doesn't have discipline or attendance problems, or failing grades.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:42 PM

461 posts, read 509,103 times
Mobile home parks are not the same as RV parks. Mobile homes are more permanent and those parks don't usually let you stay in an RV there. My father stays in an RV park in Forney which is 25 minutes from Dallas. Probably 45 minutes to North Dallas depending on traffic. If you could just get to Eastfield College in Mesquite your daughter could catch the bus. But it would take a long time to get anywhere that way. You won't find any RV parks nearby unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas