Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 11:30 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
There's an interesting dynamic in Dallas in that half of the people that go out in Uptown don't actually live there. They come from surrounding neighborhoods and suburbs. Yes, people that do live in Uptown actually go out there, but after the initial few months of living there they go to surrounding hoods.

I've lived Downtown, Uptown and in the M Streets right off of Greenville. Most of my neighbors had their usual spots in the neighborhood, but most people ventured out elsewhere on weekends. Uptown folks ventured over to Deep Ellum and Knox/Henderson, Downtown people to Deep Ellum, Knox/Henderson folks to Lower Greenville and vice versa.

Downtown is a pretty good option if you work in the area and live within walking distance of Main Street, which is almost always active these days with a pretty solid selection of places to go...if not, you might be better off choosing a different neighborhood. Addison is solid too, but I've never known anyone to choose it over the other neighborhoods I mentioned if they worked downtown or in uptown and they could afford to live within a 5 mile radius.
Fair enough...I'll admit I probably am projecting a bit of my preferences onto the advice. My job is in Addison so, for me, there's not enough in downtown to justify living in downtown and driving up the Tollway everyday. If my job WAS downtown, I'd probably think differently. I also admit I'm not in my 20's, so some of the nightlife is lost on this bitter old Gen X'er...

OP did mention they were more inclined to be suburbanites than downtowners, so that was part of my thinking of suggesting Addison - suburban feel but still with nice amenities and still a somewhat youngish crowd so they won't feel out of place. And, if the fiance's job ends up being up in Plano or Frisco, my guess is they'd easily trade a shorter drive 5 days/week.

In any case, I think with the info so far they'll be able to make a decent choice for themselves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 02:38 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
There's an interesting dynamic in Dallas in that half of the people that go out in Uptown don't actually live there. They come from surrounding neighborhoods and suburbs. Yes, people that do live in Uptown actually go out there, but after the initial few months of living there they go to surrounding hoods.

I've lived Downtown, Uptown and in the M Streets right off of Greenville. Most of my neighbors had their usual spots in the neighborhood, but most people ventured out elsewhere on weekends. Uptown folks ventured over to Deep Ellum and Knox/Henderson, Downtown people to Deep Ellum, Knox/Henderson folks to Lower Greenville and vice versa.

Downtown is a pretty good option if you work in the area and live within walking distance of Main Street, which is almost always active these days with a pretty solid selection of places to go...if not, you might be better off choosing a different neighborhood. Addison is solid too, but I've never known anyone to choose it over the other neighborhoods I mentioned if they worked downtown or in uptown and they could afford to live within a 5 mile radius.
This is very true. I live in Uptown, but more often than not venture out to other areas on the weekends.

I do echo your thoughts on Main St. in Downtown. It has a nice community feel to it as well.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:52 PM

19 posts, read 19,662 times
Thank you everyone for all the replies!

I think we are going to give it a try to Addison, specifically 15777 Quorum.
I am waiting for some questions I have to be answered and I will apply right away.

Maybe someday my fiancee and I can return to a full suburb, when we are ready to buy, someday lol

Old 10-31-2017, 10:30 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times
MZAMOT, I think 15777 Quorum will be a good start for you. I don't know the inside of the apartments, but the neighborhood is a good blend of restaurants and shops within walking distance, a bunch more within a very short drive, and other people around your own age. The location is also near enough stuff you'll likely go to that you'll feel it's convenient. All said, you're likely not signing more than a year lease. You can always get a feel of the area and decide a year from now to do something different.

Welcome to Texas - a place that offers a decent amount of opportunity and relatively low cost of living (at least low cost to other places such as the coasts).

Old 10-31-2017, 11:29 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzamot View Post
Hello!

She does not have a job yet. I do work, remotely, as a consultant for a company in North Carolina. We're both System Engineers, automation, software developing, etc.

The budget we have in mind is around ~1300 + utilities. We are looking for a one bedroom apartment, around ~500sqft to 700sqft. Looking online seems a reasonable amount.

Honestly, we more suburban than city life. Even here in Seattle we live in a suburb rather than the city (city was 2k to 2.5k a month in Seattle, 1.6k-1.8k in the suburbs). We do like to get out from time to time, but we can drive for that.

I heard plenty of companies with tech jobs are in Plano, Irving and Downtown. As I am remote I don't mind, but being close to most jobs would be ideal (for her). I know DTX is really spread out and companies are not really concentrated in one place, but at least we can try lol
Do you mind saying where you live now for comparison? Not everyone in Seattle prefers urban...but it sounds like Addison is a good choice for you.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:41 PM

19 posts, read 19,662 times
I am moving out of Mercer Island to Addison!

Old 11-05-2017, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 497 times
Addison is a great, central location and there might even be job opportunities within it. Several of the apartment complexes in Addison usually have good specials going on and typical base rent isn't too steep. You might also consider the Las Colinas area. Its a suburb of Irving and there are several brand new properties with killer deals and they all have access to the DART transportation system. Plus it's super easy to get to the airport from there.

Feel free to DM me if you'd like me to run a quick search on Addison and/or Las Colinas to look for current specials or compare pricing, amenities, etc. I'd be glad to help out!

Last edited by DFWApartmentLocator; 11-05-2017 at 12:54 AM..

Old 11-07-2017, 01:27 PM

455 posts, read 578,681 times
You are going to really miss Mercer Island. Addison is just blah.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:17 PM

113 posts, read 113,698 times
I agree with Addison because there are many young people there. I just moved into the area about a month ago and loving it. But then again I lived in Arizona for most of my life and in Garland, another suburb of Dallas a long time ago.

The area I live in is nice. I live SummerVilla which are nice complexes in a quite neighborhood. If I want to go to the bar or nightlife. I can drive or use Uber to get to the area then go back to my nice quite area.

By the way like some have said, welcome to TEXAS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: