Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 01:09 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times

Advertisements

From my experience, good neighborly traits aren’t exclusive to any group. You can find good, bad, average and indifferent neighbors from every race and ethnicity. Usually, folks are more comfortable to their own ways so they are more critical of neighbors from other cultures but for every bad neighbor, there is a good one.

As BigDGeek said, use kindness so at least between two of you, there is one good neighbor. If you are lucky, in time there will be two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 01:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
From my experience, good neighborly traits aren’t exclusive to any group. You can find good, bad, average and indifferent neighbors from every race and ethnicity. Usually, folks are more comfortable to their own ways so they are more critical of neighbors from other cultures but for every bad neighbor, there is a good one.

As BigDGeek said, use kindness so at least between two of you, there is one good neighbor. If you are lucky, in time there will be two.
We have people that will stop and chat with us when they see us outside...and people who wave at us from across the street and talk trash about us behind our backs because we're not the "pretty people."

If you're surprised by such juvenile antics...trust us...we were too.

Again, I have no burning need to be friends with these people. I like being polite to my neighbors and helping where I can.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We have people that will stop and chat with us when they see us outside...and people who wave at us from across the street and talk trash about us behind our backs because we're not the "pretty people."

If you're surprised by such juvenile antics...trust us...we were too.

Again, I have no burning need to be friends with these people. I like being polite to my neighbors and helping where I can.
That’s a good approach.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:46 PM

769 posts, read 782,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
The mockery and ridiculing and stereotyping of "generic white people", with their trendy kids' names, and their clothes, and their hobbies. And they aren't intellectual enough. Imagine the outrage if someone made comments about generic minority x, and pointed out all the typical stereotypes and how they didn't want them
living in the same neighborhood. Would that be acceptable because it is "honest"?
So now you demand political correctness?! That cuts both ways. Y’all can’t constantly complain about PC but when it suits you cry FOR PC.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:18 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
The good part is that you don't have to worry about asbestos and lead paint--the two biggies. When it comes time to sell the house, you won't have to give out the disclosures to the interested sellers. That's one less thing to scare the buyer and less work for the real estate agent.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:23 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
So now you demand political correctness?! That cuts both ways. Y’all can’t constantly complain about PC but when it suits you cry FOR PC.
No, what I want is the same standard applied to everyone. It's either OK to make random stereotypical
comments based on race or it is not. It shouldn't matter what race it is.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:16 PM

17 posts, read 20,440 times
If anyone wants to PM me their advice on builders I would love to hear it. Wife and I could be considering castle hills area. Not really a fan of paying that much for a house, but when you area already paying $1600 + for an apartment and getting no equity sometimes you may as well consider it.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The good part is that you don't have to worry about asbestos and lead paint--the two biggies. When it comes time to sell the house, you won't have to give out the disclosures to the interested sellers. That's one less thing to scare the buyer and less work for the real estate agent.
I wouldn’t be surprised if a new buyers survey reveals a believe of pre 2015 homes having lead and asbestos issues instead of homes built before 1978. What’s even funnier is that same folks happily buy new homes near battery plants, high voltage power lines, cement factories, city dump, gas drilling wells etc.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
I appreciate variety in my neighbors...as the variety moves out of our area, the same Generic White Couples are moving in. Very cliqueish and snooty if you're not exactly like them. I don't like it at all.
You would like my street, then. In the past year we have had two single guy roommates move in across the street, an Indian family moved in down the way, and a lovely familial group (I think 2 sisters that are teachers and their children) moved in from Puerto Rico last year. There are others that don't fit the "white couple with children" mold that have been here longer, as well.

The irony is no one talked to each other...until three of us planned a block party so we could meet our neighbors. The three female halves of the terrible "white couples with the requisite 2-4 children." Guess we didn't get the memo.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
You would like my street, then. We have two single guy roommates living across the street, an Indian family moved in down the way, and a lovely family group (I think 2 sisters that are teachers and their children) moved in from Puerto Rico last year. There are others that don't fit the "white couple with children" mold that have been here longer, as well.

The irony is no one talked to each other...until three of us planned a block party so we could meet our neighbors. The three female halves of the terrible "white couples with the requisite 2-4 children." Guess we didn't get the memo.
We've had block parties before too and about 80% of the attendees fit the "generic white couple with 2-4 children" mold. No bachelors/bachelorettes showed up; the only single person there was a widow. Two couples where both members were over 50 were there. DH and I were the third-oldest married couple there. Everyone else was mid-30s and younger and boy did we feel out of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas