Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:44 PM

9 posts, read 10,837 times

Advertisements

We're soon to be new to the area and are looking at some new homes, new builds in the Keller area, but are hearing horror stories about foundation problems.

A coworker suggested not buying new construction in DFW area because of abundant foundation issues.

Do you concur?

I'm finding a much nicer home in a new construction area than in the more established neighborhood we're looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 08:51 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,574,118 times
Foundation issues are everywhere in this area. Very very common whether the house is new or old.
You're going to get tons of replies on this one.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:57 PM

8,610 posts, read 14,914,278 times
There are two kinds of slab foundations in DFW - those that have had issues and those that eventually will. Expansive soils are prevalent all throughout the Metroplex.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:06 PM

9 posts, read 10,837 times
so basically, don't worry about buying new vs. established because it will happen anywhere?

Old 11-18-2016, 09:09 PM

8,610 posts, read 14,914,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiles1611 View Post
so basically, don't worry about buying new vs. established because it will happen anywhere?
If you go with a new build make sure the builder offers a warranty on the foundation. Ours was good for 10 years and we had to have the foundation repaired at year 7.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:21 AM

40,956 posts, read 49,248,569 times
West of DFW Airport (Keller) has much less issues than east due to the Sandy soils. I've seen very little problems in that area in my 20 years of showing houses.

Most issues are due to homeowner neglect and a poor watering program.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:07 AM

210 posts, read 276,935 times
We had foundation problems in Carrollton TX. had it fixed by adding concrete piers and raising it back to level again. This was 13 years ago, we went by to see the home recently all is still okay. We have purchased and built 2 new homes since then, no foundation problems with either one. One was in S.E. Frisco (11 years) the one we are in now is in west Prosper (2 years), just be sure if you buy a new home, be certain the builder offers a 10 year HOW warranty with a perimeter foundation watering system (even if you have to pay for it) find a more reputable builder, if the builder will not have it installed for you. Highland Homes built our 2 latest homes for us and provided the watering system as part of our home's features in Prosper, it is well worth it, just be sure and set the automatic sprinkler for it to run.

Most foundation problems can be prevented just by your simple DIY, walk around the foundation and if you notice extremely dry areas along the perimeter or separation of the soil and grass around the perimeter, water immediately and add a little topsoil to fill it in, if the separation is really bad, don't overdue this. Lived in Dallas all my life and I've seen homes 50 - 100+ years old, never having any foundation problems, so don't be afraid to buy new (ask current homeowners once you have picked a neighborhood if they are aware of issues). I ALWAYS go visit in person with the city's Home Building Inspector(s) for the area and ask them also (ask if they are aware of any lots with fill dirt, these are highly unstable, do not build your new home on fill dirt), I did that in both Frisco (inspector worked exclusively where we planned to build and he directed us to the lots that were the best ones to build on and showed us where the fill dirt lots were he even took out the plat map so we knew exactly which ones to choose he was a good ole country boy with boots and a cowboy hat but he knew his stuff) and in Prosper. Some extra tips, try not to build on slopes or on a lot that has high retaining walls, look for a flat lot with a slight slope for good drainage away from the home all around it (don't let water pool next to the home or between yours and the neighbor's home).

Lastly, I always recommend a new home, you can get the latest energy saving features, updated electrical, you can pre-wire the entire home with Cat-6 cable for high-speed Internet and ask about the latest building and smart home technology. Enjoy coming home and not having to worry about repairs or future updates. New is the Smart Choice!

Happy home hunting and Happy Thanksgiving! :-)

Ray

Last edited by Fiber Guy; 11-19-2016 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: added verbage

Old 11-19-2016, 09:02 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,724,115 times
Why don't homes use regular foundations in this area? On the east coast and in the Midwest, buying a home with a slab foundation is usually a sign that the home was poorly built.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:30 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times
A post-tensioned slab, properly maintained, is very stable. You are sure comparing EVERYTHING here unfavorably with "back East."

Old 11-19-2016, 10:07 AM

8,155 posts, read 8,370,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Why don't homes use regular foundations in this area? On the east coast and in the Midwest, buying a home with a slab foundation is usually a sign that the home was poorly built.
By "regular foundation" you must mean basements. We have a high water table and shifting soil so basements would be seriously compromised. That said, there are some homes with basements and crawl spaces but they are few and far between. In Arlington, there is a section called Oldfield Village and several of the houses there have basements. I looked at one for sale recently and the basement smelled mildewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas