Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 02:11 PM

43 posts, read 55,497 times

Advertisements

Hi, can you all tell me if there is much of a property tax break for those over 65 in Texas? Does it differ from city to city and county to county? ie, is it different in Houston than in Dallas? We are thinking about moving to the Dallas area and we know that the property taxes are pretty high. Just wondering about how much our taxes would be cut if, for example we had a property valued at $265K and paid around $5500 in property taxes annually, about how much would it be cut when turning 65? (I know they say you get a $10k exemption for school taxes, but I am having trouble with the math).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 02:50 PM

379 posts, read 367,503 times
It varies, depending on what the city council wants to do when it sets the budget. University Park offers an over 65 exemption of $372,000. Dallas offers $90,000. Plano only offers $10,000. You have to look at all the exemptions offered by the taxing jurisdiction where the property in question is located, because cities, counties, and school districts do not offer the same exemptions.

It always bugs me when someone tries to compare taxation in cities by ONLY looking at the tax rate, because tax exemptions vary so much. For example, Dallas offers the optional homestead exemption of 20%, but Richardson doesn't, and Richardson has a much lower tax rate than Dallas. However, if you were to do the math for city taxes on a $100K house in both cities, without disabled or over 65 exemptions, taxes on the house would be a smidge lower in Dallas despite Dallas having a much higher tax rate.

You can find rates and exemptions on each county's appraisal district web site.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:33 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
The Over 65 exemption caps your school taxes, that's it. You first have to purchase the house and deal with the current tax value. Then, once you claim a Homestead exemption on the property, you also put the Over 65 exemption on the property. That means in future years, your SCHOOL taxes can't go up. That doesn't mean your taxes won't go up and your assessed value won't go up. It means your SCHOOL taxes are capped and can't go up.

I'm not sure why the above posted said Richardson doesn't have a Homestead Exemption. EVERY area has a Homestead Exemption, but the amount will different.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:54 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I'm not sure why the above posted said Richardson doesn't have a Homestead Exemption. EVERY area has a Homestead Exemption, but the amount will different.
Don't be so sure. Prosper didn't have a Homestead Exemption until the 2016 tax year, I'm sure there are some areas that do not have one either.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 PM

436 posts, read 578,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lallen1 View Post
Hi, can you all tell me if there is much of a property tax break for those over 65 in Texas? Does it differ from city to city and county to county? ie, is it different in Houston than in Dallas? We are thinking about moving to the Dallas area and we know that the property taxes are pretty high. Just wondering about how much our taxes would be cut if, for example we had a property valued at $265K and paid around $5500 in property taxes annually, about how much would it be cut when turning 65? (I know they say you get a $10k exemption for school taxes, but I am having trouble with the math).
Collin County has a fairly decent online tax calculator that will allow you to select your exemptions.

Find an address you want to model the taxes on, use the tax estimator and select your exemptions. You can run the tax estimator with and with out the exemptions and you can see the tax difference.

Here is an example.
4545 Fargo Dr Plano (only house in 75093 for sale at $265K)
Taxes no exemption $5017
Taxes homestead $4419
Taxes homestead + 65 $4007

Welcome to Collin County, Texas Online

Old 11-29-2017, 09:19 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,124 times
Murphy has no homestead exemption.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:21 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Im over 65 and my tax bill shows a cap in taxes for all four entities I pay property taxes. The major ones I pay or Plano City and ISD and Collin County. They all appear to be capped at the amount of taxes in the year I got my 65 exemption. This experience does not match the words I have heard over time here and elsewhere. Its an extremely good deal in my case as the taxes when I turned 65 were based upon a home appraised value around $200k lower than it is now.

OP though I lived ibefore moving here I can not contrast the over 65 treatment as I did not experience it in Houston where I lived inthe city and Harris County and was in Katy ISD.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:08 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,267 times
I’m not 65 yet but my older neighbors say Plano & Collin are pretty good compared to most places.

In general Richardson(Collin County part) and Plano may have lower exemption than Dallas but overall rate is low and city/school district/County services are many times better than what Dallas offers.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:29 AM

473 posts, read 1,199,440 times
Flower Mound offers $100,000 exemption from taxation once they reach age 65. Their current property tax (2.08%) is relatively low in DFW metroplex. Check with Denton county and Town for the latest information.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:56 AM

712 posts, read 841,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lallen1 View Post
in general, over 65 won't be 'cut' much at all, but will be 'capped' (wont continue to increase as property value increases)... so you'll still be paying ~ $5000/yr even till & when you're 106 !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: