Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,148 times

Advertisements

I am graduating from college in the next few months and plan to move to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area because my family is relocating. I think it is a good opprotunity to move to a bigger city but not be completely alone.

Any suggestions on good paying entry level positions? (I was thinking admin. assistant or call center type jobs)
Also inexpensive but centrally located apartments or homes?

Finally I live in Pensacola, grew up in Tallahassee which are comparativly small cities, has anyone gone from a medium size city to this area? Whats the biggest problem you had adjusting to this are?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times
what about your parents where are they working/living when they move--
why do you want to pay for an apt when you don't have a job or friends--are they opposed to your living with them for immediate future and saving some money even if you get job--

what is your major in college? surely you can try for something more than admin asst or call center--why type of degree are you getting?

check out recruiters coming to your campus--which ones have facilities/offices in Dallas area--get interview slot

talk to your major professors--if you are a decent student--maybe they have contacts in this area that could be helpful...
if you belong to a church in your home town--network with those people for contacts in this area--

check out your alumni office before you graduate--find out any grads from your college living in this area--try to network with them about job possibilities

Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,148 times
As much a I love my parents I haven't lived with them for 5 years so I don't really think that after graduating college that I would want to live with them again.
I also feel that if I had my own apartment then I could meet people easier than living at home!

I will be getting my degree in Public Relations. I have been trying to look for post grad. jobs but don't seem to be having any luck.

I enjoy telemarketing (for the most part) and just want to get some kind of job that can get me over to the area then begin the search for a better job. I feel that would at least give me some income and possibility for advancement. I know it will be easier to find a job if I am actually living in the area as opposed to 10 hours away.

I also know that the economy is not doing well and many college graduates are having trouble finding a job as it is. So I am open to anything... do you know anyone who wants to hire a Public relations major in the next year?

I have tried to make contacts with people through school and other networks but no one really seems to know anyone in this area. I go to the University of West Florida which is a small school (only 10,000 people enrolled) so there aren't as many networking opprotunities as say Florida State or something.

And really I want to know what it is like to live and work in the area.

So any advice/help with networking! would be apperciated. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: