U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 04:53 PM

478 posts, read 722,552 times

Advertisements

This place is terrific!

Okay, we've been in Texas for almost 3 weeks now, and while I'll acknowledge that doesn't make me a Texan to the core, I'm pleased to say that almost every dire warning has proven to be completely overstated.

Yes, it's a continental humid climate. If humidity is your problem, go to Phoenix or Vegas. I'm not looking forward to the summer, but 7 million people living here in the metro area aren't all crazy. Somehow they manage. I've dealt with summers in Phoenix with half the population and a lot less to do. If you insist on having a coastal California summer, you do realize that Monterey or Pt. Reyes is unique in the world, right? And you pay for it every day.

Yes, it has a lot of ethnic diversity. I was in Tom Thumb the other day behind an Asian family and an Indian family, and we were all polite to one another. If diversity is a problem for you, I don't have a good answer.

Yes, a lot of services are closed or short-hours on Sundays. If religious people are a problem for you, I don't have a good answer.

Yes, at Costco they have a whole separate little store for hard liquor. If you're totally into going to bars 7 days a week and it bugs you that you have to go a different store for anything harder than beer & wine, I don't have a good answer.

Yes, it seems that every road is under construction. But when they say Dallas or the suburbs have terrible traffic? They don't know traffic. The slowdowns and backups happen - welcome to a metro area - but there are tons of major arterial surface streets or frontage roads that you can use. And because of the moderate cost of housing, you can afford to live closer to work, so a lot of the die-hard commute warriors are in that traffic because they wanted a house that was bigger, newer, and therefore further away from their work. Make better choices, people, and remember that at least in Dallas you have choices.

The people here are magnificent. I've seen people offer so many different kinds of kindness that I am a little shocked. That was how I was raised, and I didn't realize how much I missed it. Seems that you can find good humor everywhere. Don't listen to anyone who characterizes people here by aggressive driving, or by a libertarian sense of how everyone should pull themselves up by their bootstraps, or religion, or anything else. Texans are different, in every good way.

But I'm curious. I have seen so many people here on the City-Data forums presenting a sour disposition about Dallas. Why? Are you just deeply negative and cynical in general? It has to be an act, right? You're just trying to keep people from coming here because you got yours and don't need a bunch of half-witted "foreigners" adding to the line at your favorite BBQ place, crowding the malls, or clogging up traffic with last-second turns?

For anyone outside of Dallas reading these forums who has been thinking about coming here, take the grousing with a pound of salt. This area has a very strong job market, moderate cost of living, and terrific home values compared to any other metro that's worth living in. It has tons of things for families to do, tons of things for couples, tons of things for young people. The soccer fields are always full of kids who somehow manage. And did I mention that the people here are amazing?

No, I'm pretty much convinced that Dallasites are not actually down on the area, or each other. I think some of them don't have a good frame for comparison. Others don't want to deal with any slowdown in traffic, no matter how minor. Others don't want housing costs to go up, or to compete for houses against money from outside of Texas. Still others, well, they're just trying to make sure you don't get the last brisket at Pecan Lodge while they're still in line. It's all good, Dallas folks, I get ya. ;-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 05:19 PM

27 posts, read 26,986 times
You know what, I was thinking the exact same thing. We are moving to Dallas (Prosper to be exact) at months end and I've also taken note that it's actually folks from Dallas who dump on Dallas the most. I've only visited a few times in the summer and have also had nothing but positive experiences. I really don't understand the hate of Dallas from Dallas residents....

Old 12-05-2017, 05:21 PM

3,710 posts, read 2,854,762 times
That's Texas for ya. Dallas is a good town. The entire Metroplex is a nice area. The 4 major metros in Texas, of Houston, DFW Metroplex, Austin and San Antonio are among the best cities in the nation to live in. Even the smaller cities in Texas are good places to live. Waco, Tyler, Corpus Chrisi, Abilene, Amarillo, Lubbock. That's why there has always been so many people moving to Texas ever since it became a state, because It's a good place to live. If Texas is as bad as some people like to make it out to be, not very many people would choose to move here.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:30 PM

2,681 posts, read 2,322,760 times
Are the Dallas dumpers actually FROM (born and raised) Dallas proper or 'The Metroplex?'

My best guess is that this sort of person wants to seem either extra cosmopolitan and boast of their love for Chicago, D.C., NYC etc., once they traveled a bit for work after college.............or...........they have a strong preference for the small-town life and can't stand urban living and "urban" people.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:12 PM

478 posts, read 722,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Are the Dallas dumpers actually FROM (born and raised) Dallas proper or 'The Metroplex?'

My best guess is that this sort of person wants to seem either extra cosmopolitan and boast of their love for Chicago, D.C., NYC etc., once they traveled a bit for work after college.............or...........they have a strong preference for the small-town life and can't stand urban living and "urban" people.
Yes, I guess I could go for that explanation. If I had bought a place in a quiet suburb, only to watch the city grow and spread around and past my area, I might have a bit of nostalgia for how things used to be. In the Bay Area where I spent most of my life, people comment about how Cupertino used to be orchards and small farms back before the tech industry.

I think for my purposes, I need a pair of nostalgia-filtering sunglasses that I can put on when I'm listening to someone's opinions about an area. It's not that they're wrong or lying, but it's certainly not that they're willing to encourage more of the same changes that have left them feeling like the place has been changed out from under them.

I am 100% certain this is the biggest reason so many people say ridiculous things like "we don't need [fill in the blank." Don't need Amazon. Don't need new people moving in. Don't need more jobs, because it'll just draw in those pesky people. Don't need more highways, just encourages the driving idiots to drive. Something enabled THOSE people to thrive, but they can't be bothered to have other people enjoy the same experience?

Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 PM

707 posts, read 939,510 times
Glad you like Dallas, plenty of people don’t. I don’t think anyone portraying a negative view or their opinion of the area is exaggerating. Perhaps to that individual, that’s their honest feeling about the area. Many find Dallas to be congested, lacking any scenic beauty and sprawling. Again, glad you like it but not everyone does.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:18 PM

2,681 posts, read 2,322,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
Yes, I guess I could go for that explanation. If I had bought a place in a quiet suburb, only to watch the city grow and spread around and past my area, I might have a bit of nostalgia for how things used to be. In the Bay Area where I spent most of my life, people comment about how Cupertino used to be orchards and small farms back before the tech industry.

I think for my purposes, I need a pair of nostalgia-filtering sunglasses that I can put on when I'm listening to someone's opinions about an area. It's not that they're wrong or lying, but it's certainly not that they're willing to encourage more of the same changes that have left them feeling like the place has been changed out from under them.

I am 100% certain this is the biggest reason so many people say ridiculous things like "we don't need [fill in the blank." Don't need Amazon. Don't need new people moving in. Don't need more jobs, because it'll just draw in those pesky people. Don't need more highways, just encourages the driving idiots to drive. Something enabled THOSE people to thrive, but they can't be bothered to have other people enjoy the same experience?
Good points. They want to live in a desirable place but can't seem to understand why others would want to live in the same place.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:22 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,828,798 times
When I was looking to move here from Atlanta, I was almost scared to move here based on the opinions on city data. The moment I arrived, I saw that most of it was very exaggerated. I have enjoyed my 8 years in Dallas and don't regret moving at all.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:23 PM

27 posts, read 26,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Good points. They want to live in a desirable place but can't seem to understand why others would want to live in the same place.
self entitlement perhaps? I was here first type of mentality?

Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 PM

10 posts, read 7,650 times
Moderator cut: unacceptable languagealtimas on the road again WHYY? the altimas are what the pirus is to SOcal. you might as well be living in a island now granted this problem is true for 99% of the midwest and southwest but this makes it so if you cant find it in your city your have to fly to the next big city or drive for days in the northeast you can drive to the next big city at noon and still be home for dinner

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-07-2017 at 12:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas