Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 08:38 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,171,990 times

Advertisements

You need to tell us where work is so we can give you some ideas. As was stated, PH, UP/HP are pretty much the least diverse areas in DFW.

For an upper middle class black family (I'm thinking $150-200k?) the most diverse areas I have found in 30+ years of living in various suburbs here would be McKinney. Stonebridge Ranch has some great neighborhoods, but if you're working downtown then McKinney would be a bad commute. Certain pockets of Plano might work as well, the areas around Willow Bend comes to mind.

I would also recommend Las Colinas and North Oak Cliff, though LC would get the nod from me between those two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,793,054 times
Look into Los Colinas. You will see many black professionals in suits and ties. Many black professionals in DFW work in Los Colinas.

Many blacks of all income levels have settled in southern Dallas county in places like Desoto and Cedar Hill. I think you may prefer Cedar Hill. Southeastern Tarrant County also has a substantial black population. South Arlington is very diverse with a substantial black population. I will not be shocked if blacks are the majority in South Arlington by the 2020 Census if not already. Many blacks are settling Mansfield as well. David and Tamela Mann live in Mansfield and they have a show on BET called Mann’s World that is filmed at there Mansfield dwelling.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 12-15-2017 at 01:49 AM..

Old 12-15-2017, 10:53 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,065,558 times
It's nice to see that for the most part, people seem to be finally moving away from trying to steer middle class and upper middle class Black people to the Southern sector, so that they can self-segregate themselves and cut themselves off from most of what DFW has to offer; things that every other races and ethnicities of middle and upper middle class people in DFW enjoy, without people trying to cut them off from "nice things" by concentrating them all in one area...

Old 12-15-2017, 11:01 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,123,672 times
DFW is pretty much about money and lifestyle, skin color isn’t as important. People with money are welcome everywhere.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:19 AM

Nobody ever talks about HEB. HEB is very diverse ethnically and affordable. And I think a very good place to live for all races. It’s the one of the best kept secrets in DFW in my opinion.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:29 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,123,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Nobody ever talks about HEB. HEB is very diverse ethnically and affordable. And I think a very good place to live for all races. It’s the one of the best kept secrets in DFW in my opinion.
I have limited info about that area but heard good things about some of their schools, which obviously is a moot point in OP’s case.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:32 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,065,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
DFW is pretty much about money and lifestyle, skin color isn’t as important. People with money are welcome everywhere.
I agree. But when it comes to Black folks, a lot of non-Black folks have still traditionally tried to steer DFW Black folks to the same area, regardless of what their income level or lifestyle is. A middle or upper middle class Black person who moves to one of the Northern burbs or wherever, though, will be just fine, and will fit in with all the other middle and upper middle class folks who live around them.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,093,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I agree. But when it comes to Black folks, a lot of non-Black folks have still traditionally tried to steer DFW Black folks to the same area, regardless of what their income level or lifestyle is. A middle or upper middle class Black person who moves to one of the Northern burbs or wherever, though, will be just fine, and will fit in with all the other middle and upper middle class folks who live around them.
Exactly.

Black people don't only live on McShann in PH anymore. This is 2017.

(That said, McShann is a gorgeous street most Dallasites couldn't afford to live on anyway.)

Old 12-15-2017, 01:00 PM

8,097 posts, read 8,233,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
HEB are in the mid-cities and the commute to downtown Dallas is typically greater than 30 min during normal commute hours. So, its not likely to be mentioned here. Hurst, Euless and Bedford are also in Tarrant county and are generally considered Fort Worth burbs.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
HEB are in the mid-cities and the commute to downtown Dallas is typically greater than 30 min during normal commute hours. So, its not likely to be mentioned here. Hurst, Euless and Bedford are also in Tarrant county and are generally considered Fort Worth burbs.
Because it’s a Fort Worth suburb it’s considered off limits? HEB to downtown Dallas is 30 minutes compared to McKinney another place a person recommended being 50 minutes away from downtown Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas