Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 06:32 PM

6 posts, read 12,634 times

Advertisements

Hi, so Im a new college grad and moving from IL to Fort Worth. My job is in the western part of FW, by White Settlement and Westworth.

Im looking for a good area to find a single-room apartment. My budget is around 600 so I dont want to spend too much more than that. Id like to live in a nice, lively area in the mid-cities since Im really interested in the Dallas area too. Ideally, im looking for a place with a more populated suburb, with a younger crowd and interesting places to hang out and meet people (i.e. malls, gyms, restaurants, etc). Also, I am asian, Id like to live in a more diverse place. It doesnt have to be Koreatown or the like, just as a place that has a diverse atmosphere.

One of he more important things is the commute/traffic. Traveling to the west side of FW is going to rule out places like Plano, richardson, etc since I cant even imagine how long itd take to get to work.

Ive been interested in Arlington TX since it seems to fit all of my criteria, but from what I hear, the traffic can get bad considering its in the middle of DFW. How long would it take me to get from Arlington to West Ft. Worth (by white settlement, westworth). Is Arlington still a good choice?

Also, any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,665 times
I actually grew up in White Settlement and now currently live in Arlington. Arlington actually covers a very large area so I would first consider living close to the interstate, take your pick I-20 or I-30. Also, I would try to live closer to the west side of the city. Maybe you could consider East Fort Worth also. Check out apartment complexes off of I-30 and Eastchase Parkway. You can find a decent place to live for $600, nothing great but definitely livable. As far as I know I don't believe the traffic is really too bad headed that direction. What will your hours be? Living in Arlington is still a bit of a drive but it sounds more like something you'll want as opposed to west Fort Worth. There is a large diversity of people in Arlington and many asian restaurants and a awesome and very large Hong Kong Marketplace. I love thai and Pho and there are a good many of these types of restaurants to choose from. I also believe Arlington would be a good location because you are in the middle of Fort Worth, Dallas and many of the surrounding cities, and a hop skip and a jump from the airport, Six Flags, many different malls. etc. Back to work. As far as drive time goes you should expect about a 30-45 minute drive.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 12,634 times
My hours are the typical 9-5 schedule.

One of the other locations Ive been looking into was North Richland Hills, Bedford, Euless area. Any thoughts?

Also, I hear I-30 is under construction. Would that pose a major concern If i considered living in Arlington?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Younger people tend to want to live closer to downtown Fort Worth, such as along Camp Bowie and 7th. The previously mentioned area along Eastchase is good, too.

You really want to stay fairly close to your work or you'll end up spending a LOT of time in the car! I'd recommend not going further East than Arlington, and even then, I'd stay as close to I-30 as possible. HEB will be too far away from White Settlement for a decent daily commute, especially with gas over $3 a gallon!

NRH is great for families, but as a young single, you'll probably find it too boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas