Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 11:15 AM

537 posts, read 597,625 times

Advertisements

Because it's very unlikely we will get accumulation of snow in time for Christmas, is there any place within a four hour driving distance that might have some beautiful scenery or little downtown shopping areas, and perhaps snow between now and New Years? It looks like it's currently snowing in some parts of Oklahoma. If not, are there any nice little towns to visit in Oklahoma or Arkansas that typically get at least some snow in December or January?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 11:20 AM

480 posts, read 844,757 times
I'd love to know this too - I mean, I can always just tune to the Hallmark Channel and look at beautiful snowy downtown areas for hours, but it's not the same. ;-)

Old 12-22-2017, 11:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
Because it's very unlikely we will get accumulation of snow in time for Christmas, is there any place within a four hour driving distance that might have some beautiful scenery or little downtown shopping areas, and perhaps snow between now and New Years? It looks like it's currently snowing in some parts of Oklahoma. If not, are there any nice little towns to visit in Oklahoma or Arkansas that typically get at least some snow in December or January?
There are but you'd be better off going to Colorado TBH. The Springs are a 12-14 hour drive depending on how fast you go and how often you stop. Totally doable in a day. Tack on another hour or so for Denver.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There are but you'd be better off going to Colorado TBH. The Springs are a 12-14 hour drive depending on how fast you go and how often you stop. Totally doable in a day. Tack on another hour or so for Denver.
I'm aware of this, but I don't have a lot of time off to travel that far. I'm looking more for a place I can make a day trip to.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
I'd love to know this too - I mean, I can always just tune to the Hallmark Channel and look at beautiful snowy downtown areas for hours, but it's not the same. ;-)
We already do this in my household lol. Those movies do get very formulaic the more you watch them.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:25 PM

8 posts, read 18,474 times
NOAA uses satellite data to produce maps illustrating the snow coverage across the lower 48 states. Maps here show that, as of this morning, the nearest snow is well outside of a four hour drive from Dallas-Fort Worth. They also produce forecast maps that currently indicate that only limited areas of the Mountain West, Upper Great Lakes, and Northeast/New England have substantial probability of receiving snowfall in excess of 4" over the next 3 days. You might be able to find some longer range forecasts elsewhere, but I doubt that there will be significant snowfall before New Years anywhere closer than the Rockies.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:53 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Gaylord for a make believe winter or drive to Santa Fe (NM).

Old 12-22-2017, 03:54 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Oklahoma and Arkansas only get snow slightly more often than Texas does. You could also look at northern New Mexico, around Ruidoso. There are some ski areas there.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:18 AM

197 posts, read 229,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Oklahoma and Arkansas only get snow slightly more often than Texas does. You could also look at northern New Mexico, around Ruidoso. There are some ski areas there.
I agree on the statements on northern New Mexico and especially Colorado. Anywhere in the Rocky Mountains will probably be a good bet, although some areas do have dry climates (meaning less snow). Right now it seems that the northern NM locations have little-to-no snow cover, but snow cover seems better in the Colorado Rockies. Somewhere like Aspen would probably meet much of your criteria, if you were willing to go that far, but American Airlines has flights to Aspen from DFW Airport, so you could always fly there if you wanted to.

You won't be getting anything within a 4 hour drive unfortunately.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:05 AM

436 posts, read 578,631 times
Oklahoma has snow today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas