Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:38 AM

242 posts, read 357,603 times

Advertisements

suggest you look at an official map and look on MLS what taxes you pay. If you look at the map cottonwood is outside of Frisco City limits. Developers lie all the time that is why you need to be careful.

GIS Interactive Map | Frisco Economic Development Corporation

The reason they didn't like it is smaller lots and the apartments built nearby go to the local schools. Little elm made the destiny much higher then frisco and was not in line with what was planned. Little Elm and hackberry in general is not Frisco even though developers will say it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,158,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco19542 View Post
suggest you look at an official map and look on MLS what taxes you pay. If you look at the map cottonwood is outside of Frisco City limits. Developers lie all the time that is why you need to be careful.

GIS Interactive Map | Frisco Economic Development Corporation

The reason they didn't like it is smaller lots and the apartments built nearby go to the local schools. Little elm made the destiny much higher then frisco and was not in line with what was planned. Little Elm and hackberry in general is not Frisco even though developers will say it is.
This person is right, that neighborhood is technically Little Elm. Check out DentonCAD's website. Here is a property in the neighborhood. https://www.dentoncad.com/home/detai...8774&year=2018. If you scroll down to taxing jurisdictions, you'll notice it's Town of Little Elm. It is rather deceptive that Meritage (and others) tout it as Frisco.

Little Elm's choice to build all those apartments despite Frisco ISD's disapproval impacts both Little Elm and Frisco residents if their kids go to FISD schools servicing those areas. I've noticed some people (not suggesting that about the person I'm quoting) seem to be a bit snobbish about the whole Frisco vs Little Elm city limits thing. Like "oh, I would never want to live in Little Elm" even when Little Elm kids are in the same schools and there are some really nice Little Elm neighborhoods. To be honest, the schools will be the biggest driving factor for resale. This house is in Frisco ISD, so you're good there.

One thing to note, OP, is that Little Elm city taxes are higher than Frisco. 2017 rates for Frisco were .44660 and Little Elm is .657671. Something to keep in mind.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I don't usually say never, but I'm imagining this would never happen.
Correct. Rezoning ISD's requires residents to vote to move districts. No one is ever going to vote to leave Frisco schools for Little Elm's.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:23 PM

480 posts, read 841,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmonkey View Post
Oh wow! This is really helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to write all this. I will definitely keep this in mind. My realtor said Meritage Homes is a good builder. Not great, but good for a production builder. I didn’t know your realtor put them in the “careful” list. May I ask if you know why? I’m happy with their floorplan and could live with the layout they have. I’m just more concern about their quality. Like will I have pumping issues or foundation issues before its time?

Again, thanks for all your suggestions. I definitely like the one regarding counter height for bathrooms. I didn’t even think about that.
You're welcome. I type about 120 when properly caffeinated, so it didn't take very long to get that posted. :-)

Totally not clear on why he marked them that way, but we're using him so that we can apply his rebate to help cover our closing costs. He may have even thought of them as sub-par because their realtor percentage was inferior. Definitely do your research by googling things like "buildername sucks" or looking at the complaints at the BBB. Even solid builders like K. Hovnanian can build a turkey.

Builders often refer to the taller bathroom counters as "executive height."

My biggest suggestion, really, is to make sure you're getting miles out of your money. You might not be shocked to find that the worst mistake new home buyers make is when they think "oh, xx dollars in the mortgage, no big deal," so they get a little options-happy. In most cases you're thinking about 360 payments, so it's beguiling to think about $3,000 as $8.33 a month. But that's still 3 grand, and you'll be paying property taxes on it, so spend options money wisely.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:32 PM

20 posts, read 24,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
This person is right, that neighborhood is technically Little Elm. Check out DentonCAD's website. Here is a property in the neighborhood. https://www.dentoncad.com/home/detai...8774&year=2018. If you scroll down to taxing jurisdictions, you'll notice it's Town of Little Elm. It is rather deceptive that Meritage (and others) tout it as Frisco.

Little Elm's choice to build all those apartments despite Frisco ISD's disapproval impacts both Little Elm and Frisco residents if their kids go to FISD schools servicing those areas. I've noticed some people (not suggesting that about the person I'm quoting) seem to be a bit snobbish about the whole Frisco vs Little Elm city limits thing. Like "oh, I would never want to live in Little Elm" even when Little Elm kids are in the same schools and there are some really nice Little Elm neighborhoods. To be honest, the schools will be the biggest driving factor for resale. This house is in Frisco ISD, so you're good there.

One thing to note, OP, is that Little Elm city taxes are higher than Frisco. 2017 rates for Frisco were .44660 and Little Elm is .657671. Something to keep in mind.
Oh wow! Thanks a lot! Good to know. It is very deceptive of Meritage to say it’s Frisco. I emailed the salesperson and this was his respond.

“Legal, contract, mailing,and zip code all our FRISCO ADDRESS

The building jurisdiction .ie permit issuance is Little Elm

Taxes are slightly lower”

So even if it’s in Little Elm, is it taxed as Frisco? I’m confused. Is he correct? I’m more wary that he lied about Little Elm than the actually location itself. I think the location is actually pretty nice but I don’t like that he never mentioned it’s actually in the city of Little Elm.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:37 PM

20 posts, read 24,987 times
Quote:
Oh wow! Thanks a lot! Good to know. It is very deceptive of Meritage to say it’s Frisco. I emailed the salesperson and this was his respond.

So even if it’s in Little Elm, is it taxed as Frisco? I’m confused. Is he correct? I’m more wary that he lied about Little Elm than the actually location itself. I think the location is actually pretty nice but I don’t like that he never mentioned it’s actually in the city of Little Elm.
I just talked to my realtor and he also said school is the driving factor so as long as it’s in the Frisco ISD, the property should be fine.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:20 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,158,364 times
Quote:

Typically, at least where you will be, there are 3 taxing jurisdictions: city, county, and school. Other areas have community college taxes, hospital taxes (like Parkland in Dallas County), or MUD taxes. So in your case, you know it will be Frisco ISD taxes, regardless of city. That's the majority of your taxes. Your county will also be Denton, regardless of city. Your city, based on DentonCAD's site, is Little Elm. Plus the salesperson said the permits are coming from Little Elm. You only get permits from a city if you are actually doing work in that city.

That being said, I have friends that live right on the Keller/Fort Worth border. They can get mail delivered to their house using either city. Google maps will also find their house using either city. But they pay taxes to only one city.

I live pretty close to that location (off Eldorado between 423 and Teel) and I agree, I like the area too. If you like the area and the pricing/value of the house, I wouldn't be too caught up in the actual city. You plan to make this a long-term home and I don't think you should worry too much about resale value

Old 12-28-2017, 03:34 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,566,327 times
Quote:
Thanks for responding!

1. Okay, thanks for letting me know. I was worried about rezoning boundary lines and the lower score in the elementary and high school. While they’re still above state average, they’re a bit below district average. I’m more worried in the future if the schools will become bad. I admit I’m more ignorant when it comes to projecting schools. This is our first child and I find I now worry about good schools. I guess I don’t know how often would a school in Frisco ISD suddenly become undesirable.

2. I was told Meritage Homes give a 30K in design center once every year in Dec. I suspect it’s to help their end of year numbers. The 4K extra I was able to negotiate cause of the lot. They have since increased their price by 2K. Also, they’re projected to fill up the subdivision by next spring. Or so I’m told, although the lots were taken pretty fast while we were there. Since most of the subdivision is built already, it’s reasonale to believe that they’ll all be build by next year.

3. The 460-470k is including the structural change I wanted to make, which is a second bath upstairs and covered patio. I want to spend the bulk on hardwood the entire house except for bathrooms and utility room. I’ve lived in houses with carpets and they need to be changed every 10 years, and the process is such a pain in the butt. I also want quartz kitchen countertop, which i read is better long term. Is there anything else that you fill I should get?
That’s a lot of “I was told” in a half million transaction. What I will say is that builder reps can be some of the shadiest people to deal with, so I always approach what they say and try to prove it wrong.

Good call on sticking most of the upgrades to structural. But you might want to price the difference on the hardwood. I had one new build that was way cheaper to just have them lay down the cheapest carpet and talked them into using the thinnest coat of mastic on the tiles, then laid my own wood about 8k cheaper.

Another home (different builder) was less of a delta and I got them to credit the tile and do a stained concrete.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:02 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times
Sounds like you've decided on Meritage. My.02 is that there are about a dozen builders I'd pick before them if I had an option.

Be sure to do an Inspection before your big walk through towards the completion of the house.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:20 PM

242 posts, read 357,603 times
There is a big difference in insurance rates between little elm and Frisco. Also the building permit and other code enforcement is less strict in little elm . Not only you may not be able to use amenities in the city of Frisco. For some people it is a big deal.

Frisco PD and fire also is much more responsive then little elm as well. They will not be patrolling your neighborhood.

The fact that it isn’t actually is Frisco but little elem will also effect resale value. You will never get the same value .

Mertitage is not a great builder and I would run from them if there lying to you and saying it is located in Frisco. Be careful and make sure you compare little elm neighborhoods in FISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas