Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:27 AM

31 posts, read 45,461 times

Advertisements

Dallas has a pretty poor girl to guy ratio. West coast seemed worse than here and east coast (DC and Atlanta in my experience) much more favorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 09:45 AM

57 posts, read 153,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
I think Dallas or to be more precise the DFW area is a great place and Dallas the City really offers everything one would expect from a big city, IMHO.

You said you zeroed in on Plano and a few posts/answers in this thread also suggested it or verified Plano as a good choice.
I will not argue against that, I too think Plano, especially around Shops at Legacy or even perhaps Downtown Plano, is worth a look.
There is also Watters Creek in Allen. Richardson's City Line or Frisco Square which are similar although smaller.
They all are upcoming or small urbanish little islands, which are generally clean, safe and offer some things to do and some cases even have a grocer near by for shopping necessities.

To be clear out of all these mentioned above Shops at Legacy is by far the biggest

But I would like to mention 2 things to consider.

Plano, Frisco, Allen and Richardson etc. are essentially (Plano perhaps excluded) suburbs.
Most of theses places (as of now if I am not mistaken) have no public transportation (rail anyways), except for downtown Plano and City Line Richardson.

So after you have seen all the things those places have to offer and it will not take that long, whenever you wish to enjoy the City as in Dallas you will have to drive. Not saying that as a negative but just something to be aware of.

Also and perhaps more important, you said you are 35 and single. Now I'm not presumptuous enough to guess your dating habits. But for arguments sake let's say you go for the classic 7 year gap thing as max in each direction, it is my opinion that finding single women in their late 20s or 30s and above in these places/suburbs could provide a challenge. Most in that range are either already married with children or in a pretty committed longterm relationship.
Most single women there seem to be either girls actually, still in their teens, or early to mid 20s at best, going to college perhaps.

If that is no issue great. If that is something you would have to consider then perhaps either some compromise like Addison, which is closer to Dallas and with transit connection (DART) or "proper" Dallas or some of it northern neighborhoods might provide a better arrangement for you.

Something like Downtown, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Lower Greenville etc.

Just my 2 cent.
Thank you, this is fantastic info. As for dating age ranges, I try to avoid the 20s crowd these days unless it's just for fun/NSA, but I'm also not too big on the divorced with kids gig. I'm fully aware that the one benefit I'll be leaving behind in South Florida is the sheer number of hot women between 30 and 40 who've never been married and no kids -- they're literally everywhere here -- but I'm thinking any city as large as DFW isn't going to have a total dearth, right?

Old 01-11-2018, 09:49 AM

57 posts, read 153,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar1013 View Post
Dallas has a pretty poor girl to guy ratio. West coast seemed worse than here and east coast (DC and Atlanta in my experience) much more favorable.
That's pretty much the way it goes. West Coast (Man Diego, Menver, etc.) is a veritable sausage fest, East Coast (NYC, ATL, SoFla, etc.) is swimming in chicks, and the middle of the country is pretty much 50/50, which honestly is okay with me because, hate to brag, I think I outrank probably 90 percent of my competition on the sheer basis of being in shape and decent looking, having a steady job, and having my s--- together. I just don't want to end up somewhere with a ratio that resembles an Army base in the Middle East.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:42 AM

31 posts, read 45,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Joad View Post
That's pretty much the way it goes. West Coast (Man Diego, Menver, etc.) is a veritable sausage fest, East Coast (NYC, ATL, SoFla, etc.) is swimming in chicks, and the middle of the country is pretty much 50/50, which honestly is okay with me because, hate to brag, I think I outrank probably 90 percent of my competition on the sheer basis of being in shape and decent looking, having a steady job, and having my s--- together. I just don't want to end up somewhere with a ratio that resembles an Army base in the Middle East.
You will probably do fine here then. Dallas can be a fun place if you get out and do things. I've met a lot of people indoor rock climbing for example.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Dallas and Plano are great areas IMO. Lived in Baltimore before moving here and when folks in Dallas complain about humidity I just laugh. Yeah, we occasionally have humid days but nothing like Florida and MD. And although July and August are hot, there's almost always a breeze in my bad yard. Folks here are generally much friendlier than the east coast and customer service is night and day. Folks here actually seem to care about your business! Traffic is a drag but, you're used to that. I think it's a good move. The only place I would consider moving at this point is Colorado but, it is so prohibitively expensive I'll likely stay put. Best of luck.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:02 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times
Quote:
If you are going to bars, most are sausage fests. As soon as a place gets known as having pretty women it gets flooded by guys and the women leave pretty fast and that trend continues.

If your a guy you need to find women in their own comfortable environment, not a bar crowd.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:29 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
Quote:
Hate to point out the obvious, but if you're better than 90% of your competition, why are you single?

I'm guessing if you carry an attitude that you're better than most guys out there, women aren't going to be interested in you no matter where you live.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:33 PM

307 posts, read 363,181 times
Quote:
I'll try to keep this short, but I'm hoping a few of you can take a look at my

What am I looking for?

- A somewhat cosmopolitan area with no dearth of single people.
- A favorable girl-to-guy ratio.
- Room to breathe (I understand that any metro of 6+ million people is going to be crowded in places, but in SoFlo there is physically nowhere to go to escape it).
- A strong economy but a reasonable COL.
- Somewhere the temps drop below 80 for more than two months out of the year and the humidity isn't oppressive.
- Friendlier people.

In my entire life I've only spent one week in Dallas, and that was in 2006 for work, but from what I remember it checks off pretty much all my boxes. I'd love to hear opinions from people who live there, especially if you moved from somewhere else (double-especially if that somewhere else was South Florida).

What does everyone think? Might Dallas be for me? Thanks for your help.

Dallas meets that entire criteria. Specific areas of Dallas of course would suite your interest from what you describe. Here are some specific regions of Dallas metro that are on target:

- Addison (any part)
- West Plano (recently the home of Toyota's HQ which boosted its appeal for the single contemporary lifestyle seekers)
- Uptown Dallas (same as Addison)
- Richardson (specifically a segment known as "The Telecom Corridor")
- Grapevine.

*** Dallas has a booming techno-space (did I just make that word?? lol). I could easily call it the Silicon Valley of the Southwest and would not be too far off ***

Anyway, these are the segments of Dallas metro you want to target. Bear in mind they are just the ones I know about. The truth is, the past 15 years, Dallas has morphed into a contemporary metroplex. Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM

142 posts, read 394,766 times
best place to find women are wine bars or places were they only serve wine lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
If you are going to bars, most are sausage fests. As soon as a place gets known as having pretty women it gets flooded by guys and the women leave pretty fast and that trend continues.

If your a guy you need to find women in their own comfortable environment, not a bar crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: