Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 06:46 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times

Advertisements

People moving here are going to want to know about this...........

I have four torque wrenches that I keep at one of my businesses and also use on my old cars sometimes. I need low level calibration within +/-5% of each wrench's middle-setting breakpoint and a signed letter stating such and I'll need this done every 12 mos. on 3 wrenches and every 6 on the other.

Anyone know of a near North Dallas machine shop that does this? There is no aerospace, oil and gas, medical, high tech or scientific application just stationary machinery and old cars in play - need pretty good not excellent. I've calibrated my own for years but that's not good enough any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 07:11 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
I would start with Metallurgical Services in Richardson. I doubt very much whether he does this work but he may know who does it.

Also contact HH Mercer in Garland; again, they are a machine shop not a calibration house but may have contacts.

ESSCO is a large national company that does calibrations, but they may either be not interested or exorbitant for a shop with four torque wrenches.

Is it that your clients are now requesting/requiring outside calibrations? Because if not, I have found that a weight and a string work really well; gravity is the most reliable calibration there is. But if you have clients that won't believe the instrumentation is calibrated unless you have a cert, well, there you are.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:30 AM

188 posts, read 230,878 times
Check out SIMCO. They are pretty much the game in town for calibration.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:32 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I would start with Metallurgical Services in Richardson. I doubt very much whether he does this work but he may know who does it.

Also contact HH Mercer in Garland; again, they are a machine shop not a calibration house but may have contacts.

ESSCO is a large national company that does calibrations, but they may either be not interested or exorbitant for a shop with four torque wrenches.

Is it that your clients are now requesting/requiring outside calibrations? Because if not, I have found that a weight and a string work really well; gravity is the most reliable calibration there is. But if you have clients that won't believe the instrumentation is calibrated unless you have a cert, well, there you are.
Thanks, I had hoped you'd chime in.

I have one very good customer who has asked us to do these low level calibrations and thankfully I don't need proper certs at this time. Driving the point home to me though - I grabbed a wrench that hadn't been calibrated in a long time and at mid-point it was off by miles - indicated 75lbs. actually breaking over just over 90.

A shop at Addison airport will do it for me one time but not on an ongoing basis.

I will call the folks you listed.

Thanks again.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:49 AM

422 posts, read 523,695 times
Haven't used them, but these folks: Instrument Calibration Services

Old 01-04-2018, 01:57 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Pricing will be dependent upon the range of torque values your wrenches are capable of, and the type of wrenches you have.

Dallas Calibration Services - DFW, Northeast and Central Texas

They provide a NIST traceable certificate with any calibration done.

For future reference, you can find places like this by searching for NIST calibration services. Not all may certify torque wrenches, but I'm sure most of them do.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:44 PM

130 posts, read 153,900 times
when mine goes bad... i pick up a new one at Harbor Freights for $11.99
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas