Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 12:37 AM

468 posts, read 468,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Amazon will move where most big companies are wanting to relocate. It will be north of 380 where they have enough land to build a hq that size while that whole area is being prepped up to be the northern corridor of Dallas.
Sure, why not. El Jefe Bezos gots mucho white vans to run shuttles to Deep Ellum so the young techies can party and get funned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 07:47 AM

5,427 posts, read 4,405,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
Amazon now reconsidering NY because of local opposition there.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...02-08?mod=bnbh

Still don't want them here.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:05 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,531,768 times
Amazon announced today that they’re pulling out of the Queens deal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/n...q2-queens.html

Instead, they’ll invest in smaller tech centers in Boston, Vancouver, Austin, Pittsburgh, and Detroit.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:49 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,382,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Amazon announced today that they’re pulling out of the Queens deal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/n...q2-queens.html

Instead, they’ll invest in smaller tech centers in Boston, Vancouver, Austin, Pittsburgh, and Detroit.
wow we missed out again! wonder why Bezos seems to hate DFW?

Old 02-15-2019, 08:03 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,168,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post

From what I understand Dallas, Plano, and other cities weren't offering Amazon much in the way of free money like NYC and others did.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:18 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,158,492 times
Good. We don't need a few thousand more people driving up housing prices and congesting our traffic even more. And I hate to tell you but all those "good jobs" are almost certainly going to be filled by H1Bs, not locals. If you think real decisions are going to be made at Amazon's "secondary headquarters" or "tertiary headquarters" you're being fooled.

If Amazon want to move somewhere, let them do it on their own dime. If I want to open a machine shop, the city and state don't pay for my plant. Why should they pay for Amazon's?

Old 02-15-2019, 09:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times
Quote:
Who cares, as long as he stays away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Good. We don't need a few thousand more people driving up housing prices and congesting our traffic even more. And I hate to tell you but all those "good jobs" are almost certainly going to be filled by H1Bs, not locals. If you think real decisions are going to be made at Amazon's "secondary headquarters" or "tertiary headquarters" you're being fooled.

If Amazon want to move somewhere, let them do it on their own dime. If I want to open a machine shop, the city and state don't pay for my plant. Why should they pay for Amazon's?
^^^ This....100000000%.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:24 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,382,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Who cares, as long as he stays away?

^^^ This....100000000%.
Sorry I like you and others here but on this you are all cray cray

As you know, I’m a regular on this forum.
I watch as different issues are brought up
So Frisco spent something like $200 million to bring in a freaking golf course
They also spent well over $100 million to get the Dallas Cowboys practice field
Allen ISD spent $70 million on a high school football stadium (which then proceeded to have all sorts of problems after completion.

None of you batted an eye at any of this. There were actually some of you who thought it was all cool.

But now there is a chance to bring 50,000 jobs to the area and you all get your panties in a bunch????

Madness
Quite frankly this is the kind of dumb ish I would expect from California or New York where that moron AOC was celebrating Amazons withdrawal. 20 years from now when NYC is losing jobs and can’t get companies to come there they will all be scratching their heads wondering what happened.

I don’t understand why you don’t see the benefits that of Amazon being here. This is for the corporate hq which means high paid college degree jobs. The more jobs of that nature available means more options for people like you and me.
Would you prefer to live in a town with just a handful of employers? Where one lay-off can destroy a whole town? What the heck is wrong with y’all?

Old 02-15-2019, 11:41 AM

379 posts, read 361,800 times
Quote:
I don’t understand why you don’t see the benefits that of Amazon being here. This is for the corporate hq which means high paid college degree jobs. The more jobs of that nature available means more options for people like you and me.
Would you prefer to live in a town with just a handful of employers? Where one lay-off can destroy a whole town? What the heck is wrong with y’all?
It's absolutely insane, you're correct. These people cheer for Dallas to have a stagnant economy because all they care about is traffic and rent. A rising tide lifts all boats. The people who root for Dallas to fail for their own personal convenience need to move to Abilene.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:56 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,072,550 times
Quote:
Sorry I like you and others here but on this you are all cray cray

As you know, I’m a regular on this forum.
I watch as different issues are brought up
So Frisco spent something like $200 million to bring in a freaking golf course
They also spent well over $100 million to get the Dallas Cowboys practice field
Allen ISD spent $70 million on a high school football stadium (which then proceeded to have all sorts of problems after completion.

None of you batted an eye at any of this. There were actually some of you who thought it was all cool.

But now there is a chance to bring 50,000 jobs to the area and you all get your panties in a bunch????

Madness
Quite frankly this is the kind of dumb ish I would expect from California or New York where that moron AOC was celebrating Amazons withdrawal. 20 years from now when NYC is losing jobs and can’t get companies to come there they will all be scratching their heads wondering what happened.

For the record, i dont think HQ2 would end up here anyway.

We love our city and that makes many posters fail to accurately see how it compares to others. For a company like Amazon, it would take a whole lot of incentives to justify a move here.. they simply have better options. NY is one of the few places that could have absorbed the systemic shock of landing a mammoth like Amazon- why they shot that down is a mystery.

Given the amount of $$ that would need to be spent to get them here- I can see where some dont see the benefit. Also, all 50k of those jobs wont be given to locals and i’m willing to bet the vast majority wont.

All that said some people just dont like change/ change is hard and the change of a rapidly growing city can be very uncomfortable. We are not NYC, a relocation like that would have a disproportionate impact on us- akin to what you described- a company town revolving around one main employer where a shutdown would be disastrous. So while i don’t necessarily feel that having HQ2 here is a terrible thing- I understand the relief some feel that it isnt here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas