Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
No one brags about "throwing money away" And isn't it a good thing when prop values increase, even if its driven by those "annoying/idiotic/wasteful/immigrant/blah blah"?
Only if you're trying to sell...which isn't most of us. All it does is cost us more money per year in property tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 01:09 PM

455 posts, read 578,832 times
With bidding wars on homes, it might be easier just to build a new one at a premium. But with the prices they are at now, its not so cheap anymore.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:09 PM

242 posts, read 360,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
With bidding wars on homes, it might be easier just to build a new one at a premium. But with the prices they are at now, its not so cheap anymore.
There are no bidding wars on 500k plus houses. if people where doing bidding wars there wouldn't anything in MLS listed.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:08 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco19542 View Post
There are no bidding wars on 500k plus houses.
There are definitely bidding wars going on in the $500k+ segment. I've got a friend who was in a bidding war last year for a $750k house. It's not as bad as the $300-400k segment, but there are many areas around DFW that are affluent and have lots of buyers that can afford these higher prices. You're kidding yourself if you think bidding wars are not going on at these higher price points.

You probably have to budget above $1 million to significantly cut down the number of people you could potentially be bidding against.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:48 PM

242 posts, read 360,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
There are definitely bidding wars going on in the $500k+ segment. I've got a friend who was in a bidding war last year for a $750k house. It's not as bad as the $300-400k segment, but there are many areas around DFW that are affluent and have lots of buyers that can afford these higher prices. You're kidding yourself if you think bidding wars are not going on at these higher price points.

You probably have to budget above $1 million to significantly cut down the number of people you could potentially be bidding against.

I see lots of houses everywhere sitting around for 100 days plus on the market. The ones with bidding wars were underpriced to begin with or under 200k. That happens even a bad market. If you go out look at houses and make an offer the same day your probaly going to be the only person.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:51 AM

630 posts, read 658,160 times
So what I get from this thread is some posters are exhibiting the usual resentment and envy when people from other states/countries are making good money and enjoying spending it as they see fit.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:12 AM

21 posts, read 33,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
So what I get from this thread is some posters are exhibiting the usual resentment and envy when people from other states/countries are making good money and enjoying spending it as they see fit.
Totally Agree.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:37 AM

21 posts, read 35,912 times
Just read the thread. I really doubt that the price differential between new and older homes is 150K, if all the other factors are the same ( same builder, location, school etc). I think it would be more around 50K. If slightly older homes are really as good of a bargain that many people in this thread seem to think, why would they be sitting on the market for so long. Yes, there are people who want a new home and willing to pay the premium, but the vast majority of the buyers I think evaluate options, consider the value before making a decision.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
No, I don't think that's it.

People who move here from other areas (whether it's California or Calcutta) and bid up real estate contribute to rising property taxes which cost us all extra money.

It's not the same as them tooling around in a Mercedes or Lexus, which is also them enjoying spending their money as they see fit...but it doesn't cost the rest of us anything extra. Drive what you want, I don't care; just don't be an ass about sharing the road.

Bidding up real estate prices does cost the rest of us.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:00 AM

21 posts, read 35,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No, I don't think that's it.

People who move here from other areas (whether it's California or Calcutta) and bid up real estate contribute to rising property taxes which cost us all extra money.

It's not the same as them tooling around in a Mercedes or Lexus, which is also them enjoying spending their money as they see fit...but it doesn't cost the rest of us anything extra. Drive what you want, I don't care; just don't be an ass about sharing the road.

Bidding up real estate prices does cost the rest of us.
Indian people are one of the most cost conscious consumer groups. I am not sure if they are just spending more on these houses just because they can. Apart form the premium they are willing to pay for a certain direction and new house, I do not believe they are way over paying more than the market value of any home (new or old).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas