Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,336 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Louisiana to Dallas in 4 weeks! (Our home sold in 1 day so this process went way faster than we planned). We have a 7 year old son. We definitely want an urban lifestyle. Our family is young, very active, somewhat liberal. We love dallas and visit often so we are somewhat familiar with the area. We thought we were settled on the uptown/Katy trail area bc we like the walkability, restaurants, green space. But then we found out there are little to no children in that area. While schools aren’t a huge issue (we will do charter or private if we have to), I would like my son to have some friends close. To meet at the park or ride bikes with. I can’t find any info about children living in downtown. we will NOT live in the burbs, and yes I’m aware they’re ‘safer’ than the city with better schools. But the quality of life we would prefer is more cultured, walkable, diverse, and active. We would love to live downtown but would welcome any other walkable/urbanisn neighborhoods. . Thanks y’all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 06:45 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct3530 View Post
We are moving from Louisiana to Dallas in 4 weeks! (Our home sold in 1 day so this process went way faster than we planned). We have a 7 year old son. We definitely want an urban lifestyle. Our family is young, very active, somewhat liberal. We love dallas and visit often so we are somewhat familiar with the area. We thought we were settled on the uptown/Katy trail area bc we like the walkability, restaurants, green space. But then we found out there are little to no children in that area. While schools aren’t a huge issue (we will do charter or private if we have to), I would like my son to have some friends close. To meet at the park or ride bikes with. I can’t find any info about children living in downtown. we will NOT live in the burbs, and yes I’m aware they’re ‘safer’ than the city with better schools. But the quality of life we would prefer is more cultured, walkable, diverse, and active. We would love to live downtown but would welcome any other walkable/urbanisn neighborhoods. . Thanks y’all!
Look into North Oak Cliff. Families everywhere, but you’re still going to have a walkable lifestyle to Bishop Arts and places like the Kessler Theater that are unique. Living options like single family homes on larger lots (East Kessler), single family homes that are more grid-like and close to neighbors (Kessler or Winnetka Heights), townhouses, modern developments, single family homes on tiny lots (basically like a townhouse without sharing a wall), etc. We live in N Oak Cliff, I work in Uptown, my wife teaches at a private school in N Dallas, and we send our kids to private school in E Dallas so we know people and spend time in lots of parts of town and wouldn’t choose to live anywhere else in Dallas.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:48 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,398 times
A few thoughts -
- what is your budget?
- where is work?
- I would search this forum for the M-Streets, Lakewood, Oak Cliff, Bishop Arts, Kessler Park. These are all walkable-ish areas, close to downtown that have more of a family appeal
- Do some research on your school comment. I don't think the public school options available to downtown residents are what you are probably looking for. Private school admissions are closing soon (if not already) for the 2018-2019 school year. I don't know the process for charter schools. If you aren't already in the admissions cycle, you may have to "sit out" a year

There is a lot of information on this forum for similar topics/questions
Good luck.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
There is a happy medium between living downtown and living in outer suburbia,

Check out

1. Lakewood or Junius Heights - good elementary schools and you could position yourself to be walkable to Lakewood Village, the library, etc.

2. The M Streets - walkable to all the restaurants and shops along Lower Greenville. Not all are kid friendly but it's a great area with mostly locally owned spots. Schools range from great to "up and coming."

3. North Oak Cliff - can position yourself to be walkable to Davis Street / Bishop Arts District. Take the cable car downtown! Good schools K-8.

4. Park Cities - more conservative area but lots of walkability if your budget allows. Excellent schools. 20% of land was set aside for public park space. Tons of kids

All of these options are within 5-10 minute drive to actual downtown.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:38 AM

792 posts, read 1,221,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There is a happy medium between living downtown and living in outer suburbia,

Check out

1. Lakewood or Junius Heights - good elementary schools and you could position yourself to be walkable to Lakewood Village, the library, etc.

2. The M Streets - walkable to all the restaurants and shops along Lower Greenville. Not all are kid friendly but it's a great area with mostly locally owned spots. Schools range from great to "up and coming."

3. North Oak Cliff - can position yourself to be walkable to Davis Street / Bishop Arts District. Take the cable car downtown! Good schools K-8.

4. Park Cities - more conservative area but lots of walkability if your budget allows. Excellent schools. 20% of land was set aside for public park space. Tons of kids

All of these options are within 5-10 minute drive to actual downtown.
These are great suggestions. Since you are open to private schools, another walkable area that is great for kids is near Inwood village. There are tons of kids and families and lots to walk to. My oldest child (12) has friends that live near there and they often walk to the movie theater, Starbucks, ice cream, etc. There are also salons, dentist, pediatrician, grocery store, toy store, clothing stores, after school activities (dance, karate, techie factory, etc), and lots of restaurants. If you position yourself near there you could walk to so much!

Old 01-20-2018, 04:31 PM

197 posts, read 229,227 times
Those living in the Downtown area and most of Uptown are assigned to Milam Elementary, though Uptown west of Harry Hines gets Medrano Elementary instead.

Sam Houston Elementary in Oak Lawn actually seems like a pretty good school based on the GreatSchools rating, though a bit low on test scores for school receiving a 9/10 rating on GreatSchools. The attendance zone (see the DISD attendance zones map) is bounded by Oak Lawn Avenue on the south, Brown Avenue and the Tollway on the west, and Lemmon Avenue on the east. This is pretty much the "gayborhood," though with you being liberal this shouldn't be an issue.

You might also check out the areas zone to Lakewood Elementary (as recommended), Stonewall Jackson Elementary (set to be renamed Mockingbird Elementary), as well as Walnut Hill Elementary (best zoned elementary in DISD if you can get into this zone).

Old 01-20-2018, 05:46 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlx View Post
Those living in the Downtown area and most of Uptown are assigned to Milam Elementary, though Uptown west of Harry Hines gets Medrano Elementary instead.

Sam Houston Elementary in Oak Lawn actually seems like a pretty good school based on the GreatSchools rating, though a bit low on test scores for school receiving a 9/10 rating on GreatSchools. The attendance zone (see the DISD attendance zones map) is bounded by Oak Lawn Avenue on the south, Brown Avenue and the Tollway on the west, and Lemmon Avenue on the east. This is pretty much the "gayborhood," though with you being liberal this shouldn't be an issue.

You might also check out the areas zone to Lakewood Elementary (as recommended), Stonewall Jackson Elementary (set to be renamed Mockingbird Elementary), as well as Walnut Hill Elementary (best zoned elementary in DISD if you can get into this zone).
Northwest Dallas certainly has some nice family friendly neighborhoods but I wouldn’t say many (any?) could realistically be comparable to an urban experience with walkable amenities beyond community pools and such. Walnut Hill is also not one of the elementaries in that area I hear people talking about using. It’s usually Withers or DeGolyer.

And basically none of the Uptown/Downtown/Oak Lawn schools you mentioned are used by anyone with a choice. If you are zoned for them and you can’t afford to move or do private school, you go. Everyone else goes elsewhere, more or less.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:12 PM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
There are kids living in the condos at The Residences at The Highland (Mockingbird & Central). It backs up to the M Streets and is served by Stonewall Jackson Elementary. Very walkable area and connects to the Katy Trail via the park & pedestrian bridge.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:20 PM

188 posts, read 230,828 times
Like the suggestions above I would also recommend Lakewood area instead of just the "uptown" area. Also, if you can find an available apartment in the Highland Park area (Lomo Alto & Lemmon area) you'll be close uptown, downtown, great schools, and family friendly areas. Finding a place and then having it in your budget might be a concern but it's worth looking into.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:18 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,040 times
Not many breeders around the Katy Trail area. Most migrate slowly from Uptown to M streets to Lakewood and then throw in the towel and hop to Plano for high school. Someone above mentioned Inwood Village. I always found it odd that the flower child restaurant seemed to be swamped with toddlers and yoga pants so definitely check out that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: