Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 10:51 AM

1,074 posts, read 633,429 times

Advertisements

I cannot agree enough about what dallasgoldrush said about the 6th floor museum. MUST DO!
Bishop Arts is super cute, and if I had never been to Dallas, I would think it is a must do. However, McKinney square is equally as cute and less crowded, perhaps even slightly less expensive; but by the time you drive halfway to OK to get there, you cannot even see the "big city skyline" that you probably set your sights on when choosing Dallas as a vacay destination....so pot-ay-to, po-tah-to.
I don't think you should skip the silos. Waco is a nice getaway from the big city, and it is just as cute as it looks on TV. However, if you make the trek down there, might as well stop by some of the antique stores Joanna goes to as well, IMHO.
I don't know where you are from, but be prepared for just how enormously, ungodly, HUGE the DFW Metroplex is, and how bad the traffic is now that we have had 1000 people per day move here for the last 3 years! Allow lots of drive time, and when traffic is moving, people here drive at least 10 miles over the speed limit. I am from here, but I just know friends from other places have become completely overwhelmed with this aspect that us natives are so used to.
Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 06:16 PM

625 posts, read 1,802,462 times
Thanks everyone for the info! I will put the 6th Floor Museum on the list of things to do and a few other things! We live close to Chicago, so I'm used to big cities, but I hear Dallas-Fort Worth covers way more land. Should be interesting as I'm from the north. The south kind of intimidates me!

Old 02-05-2018, 09:04 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,387,972 times
Don't forget to visit the Dallas World Aquarium....Its always worth the visit.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:16 PM

3,810 posts, read 8,699,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post

I don't think our aquarium gets the publicity it deserves. I've seen my share of them across the country and the Dallas aquarium is easily the best one I've been to. It's not cheap though, so maybe that has something to do with it not being on a lot of people's radar ...
I chocked on my coffee. I can't tell if you mean the sad little thing at Fair Park or the Dallas World Aquarium. Can you elaborate on what other aquariums you've been to? I grew up in Chicago and the Shedd Aquarium is world class. At one time there was actually a whale there.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,176,070 times
I'm assuming it's the Dallas World Aquarium. It's not the biggest I've been to since I've been to the one in Atlanta but my family really likes it because it's not just a fancy warehouse for fish tanks like so many aquariums are.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:13 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,387,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I'm assuming it's the Dallas World Aquarium. It's not the biggest I've been to since I've been to the one in Atlanta but my family really likes it because it's not just a fancy warehouse for fish tanks like so many aquariums are.
Right!!....Its a whole experience...Its like a rain forest a zoo and an aquarium all at once. You gotta go!!!

Old 02-05-2018, 03:14 PM

370 posts, read 358,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Definitely not the one at Fair Park. It's so sad and seems like it's hanging on by a thread. I went to the Dallas World Aquarium shortly after I moved to Dallas, and I was so impressed and I loved it. Fast forward a decade, and I took my kids there last year for the first time, and I wasn't nearly as impressed. I don't know if I've grown more critical or if the museum has gone downhill. I'd still say it's worth a trip but I wouldn't gush over it.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:07 PM

1,201 posts, read 794,349 times
Dallas is a VERY boring city. I'm embarrassed when friends visit and our biggest claim to fame is killing the president over 5 decades ago. That said, Dealy Plaza and the corresponding museum is the most interesting thing to do in Dallas, sad but true. This city revolves around football, drinking, eating, and shopping. Nothing to see here.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:22 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,066,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Dallas is a VERY boring city. I'm embarrassed when friends visit and our biggest claim to fame is killing the president over 5 decades ago. That said, Dealy Plaza and the corresponding museum is the most interesting thing to do in Dallas, sad but true. This city revolves around football, drinking, eating, and shopping. Nothing to see here.
I always tell people who want to come visit that Dallas can be fun and nice to LIVE in, since there are a ton of amenities all over the metro. But it sucks as far as VISITING and being a tourist destination.

Outside of El Paso, every other big city in Texas is more visitor and tourist friendly than Dallas, IMO.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 794,349 times
It sucks to live here even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas