Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Back in 2014 the economy was much weaker and I had a much weaker resume (during my first five years or so out of college I probably had four different jobs). Now I have some stability on my resume. For a move like OKC to Dallas, I wouldn't think that employers would be turned off either, but I sent out dozens of resumes in the DFW area and had only one callback. Meanwhile, I had recruiters calling me about positions here in OKC a few times per week. That made me think that it had to be my location.
I definitely think the stability on your resume helps now. The stronger economy will also help.

I would leave off your address (yes they will still see your OKC work history), their biggest concern may be getting you in for an interview or if you are expecting a relocation package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 09:19 AM

24,567 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Email me your resume or LinkedIn profile if you want to and we can go over it together. No address but add "relo to DFW". You can always ask for some assistance once you have your foot in the door. Best of luck!

Old 02-01-2018, 09:29 AM

13 posts, read 10,755 times
We have hired IT resources from out of state multiple times in the last couple of years. As long as you don't expect us to pay for your relocation and that you could be on the job in 2-3 weeks we couldn't care where you are coming from. I don't think we are that unusual in that regard. The competition for good IT people in the DFW area is significant enough that we can't casually discard resumes, particularly for experienced personnel in positions like DBA, network engineering, developers, etc.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:26 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Don't put your address on your resume. It's unnecessary and old-fashioned. Not having a local DFW number shouldn't be an issue because half the people on my IT department's call list have non-DFW area codes listed. People move here all the time and keep their old cell phone numbers. If it's that important to you, you can come here some weekend and get a burner phone at Metro PCS or something. Or if you have an old phone you can just flash it to their network, get a local number, and you're good to go. I will say this, though; a lot of recruiters who operate in this area don't even know what all of our local area codes are. Just the other day one asked me "214...what is that, LA?" (213 is LA. 214 is Dallas.)

Don't volunteer the information that you're not local, but be prepared to travel at the drop of a hat if you get an interview...and be prepared to move quickly, too. If they ask, be honest but emphasize that you can move quickly, you can start on their schedule, etc. Be flexible.
This is Awesome advice!!!!........Is this the same "Big D Geek" that we all know and love..?!!!

Old 02-05-2018, 07:05 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This is Awesome advice!!!!........Is this the same "Big D Geek" that we all know and love..?!!!
Um, thanks? I'm not a total jerk.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:27 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking what field do you work in?

Also, when they ask questions about my location such as how I feel about moving, why I want to leave my current job, and how quickly can I start, how would you recommend I answer that question? I somewhat wonder if this is where I mess up when doing long-distance interviews.

The reality of the situation is that I like my job here in OKC but I just don't like the city/state. I have spent 5.5 long years here and want to get on with my life. However, I want to leave my current employer on good terms so that means giving a two-week notice so I typically say three weeks (two weeks + a week to get moved). However, I am not sure this is the best approach. At this point I'm almost willing to do something as drastic as taking only what I can pack into my car and then re-buying furniture, etc once I get settled in DFW to speed up the moving process.
OP, I'll DM you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas