Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 13,239 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My family is planning to move in July to Dallas. We are moving from NJ. I have two children (11 and 8) so schooling is our top priority. However, our budget is $450K (max). It looks to me that I cant find a decent home in Coppell in that price range. So my next choice is Flower Mound. I like to live near to airport as I have a traveling job. I won't mind driving 30 mins -40 mins to the airport you please advise:
1. Which areas in Flowermound shall we focus?
2. Does Flower mound have asian/indian population or grocery stores? it's not a deal breaker but sometimes its good to have some Indian people around.
3. Which other areas can we focus on that price range which have good schooling and which are safe?
Thank you very much
Sumit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 10:20 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
There is a severe shortage of homes in both cities. You just need to look in both areas and find a house that works for you. Anything under $550 sells in days with multiple offers. Don't try and negotiate a bargain or you'll never get into a home.

In Flower Mound, try to stay south of FM1709 - may not be possible. There is large Indian communities in both areas. The majority of Indian restaurants and markets will be in Valley Ranch and Las Colinas. Which is closer to Coppell.

Both cities have outstanding schools. 80% of the people I've helped over the years end up in FM because there is an even bigger shortage of homes in Coppell. It's a smaller city with a better location.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:36 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
What Rakin said. However you could add Grapevine to your list as its proximity to the airport is excellent. Also the part of Valley Ranch (Irving) zoned to Coppell ISD. It isn't going to be any cheaper than Coppell, but it has a majority Indian population and can help you widen your search area. Make sure the home is zoned to Coppell ISD, though (usually the homes west of MacArthur Blvd.)

Also in ALL of these areas you need to be ok with a home older than 10 years old. If you try and limit yourselves to homes newer than that, you will never find anything (or it will be overpriced and in the worst area of the ISD)

Old 02-19-2018, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 13,239 times
Thank you Rakin, mSooner. I am open to houses which are 15-20 years old in flower Mound. 550K is out of budget for us.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:04 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
Flower Mound normally seems about 10% less than Coppell and about 5-10 years newer. Plenty of people start in Valley Ranch or Coppell and then pick Flower Mound. Plenty of Desi in both all places. Maybe be a few more restaurants and groceries in Irving/Valley Ranch, but a few around Flower Mound as well.
If you fly out every week...probably not a big deal either way. You might check out Grapevine/Euless as well. I've heard they teach Hindi at Trinity High in Euless, so that might be a nice option for you....but $550K will probably be on the high end of Euless. You may be even able to get a newer house than in Flower Mound.
Remember if you live in Flower Mound to check out flight patterns and noise. It can be noisy in some areas if you live under the flight path.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:17 PM

242 posts, read 432,894 times
You could look into the subdivisions of Bridelwood (sp?) and Wellington in Flower Mound. Wellington has excellent schools and a medium-to-large Indian population as well. We've been very, very happy here (our house is around $400k).

Old 04-01-2018, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,109 times
We are about to close on a house in Flower Mound after searching both areas with a similar budget. In this price range, homes move quickly, so when we were ready to buy, we had to be really ready to make an aggressive offer. We were able to buy slightly under asking price but I don’t think that’s normal. Would have loved Coppell for the more central location, but couldn’t find the home we wanted with any sort of yard. Good luck in your search!

Old 04-29-2018, 07:03 AM

10 posts, read 36,876 times
Did you end up moving or still looking? How was your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitshrivas View Post
Hi Everyone,

My family is planning to move in July to Dallas. We are moving from NJ. I have two children (11 and 8) so schooling is our top priority. However, our budget is $450K (max). It looks to me that I cant find a decent home in Coppell in that price range. So my next choice is Flower Mound. I like to live near to airport as I have a traveling job. I won't mind driving 30 mins -40 mins to the airport you please advise:
1. Which areas in Flowermound shall we focus?
2. Does Flower mound have asian/indian population or grocery stores? it's not a deal breaker but sometimes its good to have some Indian people around.
3. Which other areas can we focus on that price range which have good schooling and which are safe?
Thank you very much
Sumit

Old 04-29-2018, 09:47 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Also consider North Euless in zip code 76039 for the neighborhoods that are zoned to Grapevine/Colleyville schools. Close to the airport. Many great neighborhoods; very good schools and plenty of diversity. More options in your budget and closer to wonderful shopping.

In Texas, schools zones don’t always match the names of the town addresses for homes. Always verify the school districts for any homes you are looking at.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:48 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Valley Ranch is good too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas