Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 11:23 AM

12 posts, read 11,953 times

Advertisements

Need opinions. It's for upper elementary. Other options are too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 12:53 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farah A View Post
Need opinions. It's for upper elementary. Other options are too expensive.
It feels like on this and other threads, you need to provide more information about where your kids are now, and what your ideal schooling situation is for them longer term to help us give you the info you need.

If your kid is upper elementary age, and not currently in a Montessori program, I don't think upper elementary is the time to switch over to Montessori (ie Westwood). Personal opinion, but informed by talking with lots of Montessori and other educators, is that after about 1st or 2nd grade in a traditional classroom the self-motivation that a kid really needs to thrive in Montessori is less likely to develop and the setup of the Montessori classroom is less likely to make sense to kids who didn't start with it at a younger age. If your child is already in a Montessori program, then maybe you want to keep that going until the end of elementary school (around 6th grade). Keep in mind that Montessori are clustered w/ 3 age levels so if your child is going into 6th grade, he/she will have just one year in that classroom before moving on to middle school. So that might be disruptive and is something else to consider.

Personal opinion, unless you're coming from Montessori and want to keep that going, I'd pick Lakehill over Westwood all other things being equal (and I think they're basically the same price so that doesn't sway the decision either way). If you are coming from Montessori, I still don't know that I'd pick Westwood over Lakehill but the decision isn't quite as easy. We looked at Westwood and while we haven't toured Lakehill, we know lots of families with kids there who like it.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:59 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
What is your goal for your child's education? Are you looking for a school that goes all the way through to 12th grade? Looking for smaller class size? Why private? Is the list narrowed by tuition cost?

IMO, the two schools, Westwood and Lakehill, are very different. They are even geographically far from one another so based on where you live and work, which makes more sense?

Old 02-24-2018, 03:55 PM

12 posts, read 11,953 times
My son is currently in an AMI school and that's how I fell in love with the Montessori method.He will be starting 1st grade next year. I live in Richardson and have driven to Lakehill for 4 years for my high schoolers. Distance wise I can do both. Lakehill is older and it's location also gives it an advantage over Westwood. My plan is to keep him at Westwood until 3rd grade and then move him to Lakehill. I have toured both, Westwood more then Lakehill. My son spent 2 schools days at Westwood for evaluation so they don't have a ''test''. Ist, 2nd and 3rd grade is in the same class. I am leaning towards Westwood but Lakehill has more of a presence even if it's negative, esp on this forum. The teachers at Lakehill are much younger age wise and experience wise and on the other hand its the other way round. When I email Westwood for any questions, I get a very detailed response explaining the answer, whereas, it is a very short response from LH. Very confused. Not a whole lot but there is a difference in tuition. Lakehill just got renovated whereas Westwood is in an old building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: