U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2018, 09:54 PM
 
3,680 posts, read 3,220,705 times
Reputation: 3297

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
But what defines “luxury”? To me, a house on a postage stamp lot with pool and no yard is not luxurious. It’s maybe well off middle class depending on area.
I agree. If its a rich man's defination then you'll have big house, big pool, big yard and whole nine yards as well without having to compromise on location, schools, upgrades etc etc. However, you can compare a million dollar 1800 sqft condo in Highlandpark with a million dollar home with acrage in Celina. Definition of 'luxury' is fluid in many ways.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 02-27-2018 at 10:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2018, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
435 posts, read 1,625,849 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear63 View Post
Hmmm...so many questions I have. So out of curiousity...does this kind of house appeal to you?
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M81947-32702
Older, original condition, but has 3 car, pool, *some* yard, and a lake. This an easy drive to the locations you mentioned since *essentially* the traffic is in reverse flow. The reason I ask is that I live nearby and would *love* to own something like this but a lot of people on here don't want to be in north Dallas for some reason. This is still Plano school district if school is an issue.
In theory, yes -- but I would imagine that if this house hit the market, it would be our absolute ceiling in terms of budget.

I will say, we definitely don't need that much sq footage either. We would be happy with something as low as 3K sq-ft. But the combination is still pretty difficult to find even thinking of that it seems.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 07:41 AM
 
11,250 posts, read 6,332,725 times
Reputation: 31892
Hmmm...

So you basically are forced to take on a permanent money pit/maintenance requirement even though you don't want it. Whee!

I guess a pool can always be removed. Actually, it might be a selling point to have one of the rare pool-free houses in a neighborhood. Might be worth calling a few excavation companies and getting a rough ballpark on what it would take to jackhammer the pool surround, poke some holes in the bottom, and fill it up with dirt. I bet that you would find it surprisingly cheap to nuke a pool.

Only in generica is a pool (I don't call it a "swimming pool" as most of these little 15 foot kidney shaped pools can't actually support swimming) a requirement and a 3000 sq. ft. house described by the phrase "as small as".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 08:32 AM
 
3,762 posts, read 3,012,381 times
Reputation: 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I guess a pool can always be removed. Actually, it might be a selling point to have one of the rare pool-free houses in a neighborhood. Might be worth calling a few excavation companies and getting a rough ballpark on what it would take to jackhammer the pool surround, poke some holes in the bottom, and fill it up with dirt. I bet that you would find it surprisingly cheap to nuke a pool.

Hahahahahaha!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 08:36 AM
 
12,678 posts, read 12,396,196 times
Reputation: 11951
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Hmmm...

So you basically are forced to take on a permanent money pit/maintenance requirement even though you don't want it. Whee!

I guess a pool can always be removed. Actually, it might be a selling point to have one of the rare pool-free houses in a neighborhood. Might be worth calling a few excavation companies and getting a rough ballpark on what it would take to jackhammer the pool surround, poke some holes in the bottom, and fill it up with dirt. I bet that you would find it surprisingly cheap to nuke a pool.

Only in generica is a pool (I don't call it a "swimming pool" as most of these little 15 foot kidney shaped pools can't actually support swimming) a requirement and a 3000 sq. ft. house described by the phrase "as small as".
A friend just got an estimate to remove and then replace a pool that was built horribly in the late '80s. The removal quote was $11,500. Knocking in the edges, filling the remainder leaves a permanent real estate disclosure tagged to the place. Most cities around here have minimum requirements for pool removal as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 08:41 AM
 
3,762 posts, read 3,012,381 times
Reputation: 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
A friend just got an estimate to remove and then replace a pool that was built horribly in the late '80s. The removal quote was $11,500. Knocking in the edges, filling the remainder leaves a permanent real estate disclosure tagged to the place. Most cities around here have minimum requirements for pool removal as well.
Exactly. I've heard some cities won't even allow you to just fill in the pool... it has to be dug up and removed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 08:42 AM
 
Location: North Texas
24,567 posts, read 36,805,406 times
Reputation: 28490
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
A friend just got an estimate to remove and then replace a pool that was built horribly in the late '80s. The removal quote was $11,500. Knocking in the edges, filling the remainder leaves a permanent real estate disclosure tagged to the place. Most cities around here have minimum requirements for pool removal as well.
Yes...removing a pool is much more expensive than people think it is. And they leave big holes and dirt isn't free. Sod isn't free. I know a couple of people who've done it and they only did it because the pool was at the point where it was more expensive to repair it than to remove it and they simply didn't want the pool enough anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 08:53 AM
 
11,250 posts, read 6,332,725 times
Reputation: 31892
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
A friend just got an estimate to remove and then replace a pool that was built horribly in the late '80s. The removal quote was $11,500. Knocking in the edges, filling the remainder leaves a permanent real estate disclosure tagged to the place. Most cities around here have minimum requirements for pool removal as well.
OK, "surprisingly cheap" ain't gonna happen, I see.

Ouch!

Still, if you are prepared to pay $700,000 for a house, another $12,000 might be a bearable percentage of the cost.

Personally, as a native Texan, I would far rather have shade trees than a swimming pool to cope with summer heat. When it's 105 outside, my fair-skinned self would far rather be under a shade tree than blistering in the midst of white concrete. The water may seem cooling, but I make plenty of that myself when it's summer. It just comes right out of my pores.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 09:05 AM
 
12,678 posts, read 12,396,196 times
Reputation: 11951
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
OK, "surprisingly cheap" ain't gonna happen, I see.

Ouch!

Still, if you are prepared to pay $700,000 for a house, another $12,000 might be a bearable percentage of the cost.

Personally, as a native Texan, I would far rather have shade trees than a swimming pool to cope with summer heat. When it's 105 outside, my fair-skinned self would far rather be under a shade tree than blistering in the midst of white concrete. The water may seem cooling, but I make plenty of that myself when it's summer. It just comes right out of my pores.
IMO if a person buys a home with a pool they won't use much they should move to a Clorox (or similar), borates, baking soda and acid regime. It's cheap and works exceptionally well. The same works although with varying chemical ratios with salt pools too. Adding 50-70ppm boarates is a game changer.

I'd agree that a $10/12K spend to remove an unwanted pool shouldn't automatically be a deal killer for those spending $500K or more for a home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 09:44 AM
 
949 posts, read 818,398 times
Reputation: 1252
Here's an interesting solution to an unwanted pool:

http://www.deckover.com/

[vimeo]62843183[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/62843183
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top