Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:48 AM

10 posts, read 22,471 times

Advertisements

All excellent points above, but to my point/question:

If GH (or another top school) were to reject the kid of CEO of large corporation/elected office, etc., would that add to the prestige of that school?... maybe?

With the substantial endowments of the top schools and their ability to now guarantee 'full rides' for 14 years at the pre-k level, wealth/power could be less of an influence... it seems that the proper mix ('connected' and 'non-connected') might be a goal of the admissions staff?...

I don't know the answer... (and not really that concerned about it...)... Admission staff's have difficult decisions to make and they apparently are very good at what they do... Private school admissions might not be fair--but that's life... welcome to the real world...

Last edited by dadfromdallas; 03-09-2018 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 03-09-2018, 10:52 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
However, there's no "more connected." There's connected or not connected. You don't get bonus points for each way you are connected.
I disagree with you. I think there is a difference between being someone with siblings at the school, someone with siblings at the school with a parent who writes big checks and someone with a "big name" parent be it a professional athlete, a CEO, a city-council-person, etc. I think there are varying degrees of "connected"

Old 03-09-2018, 11:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I disagree with you. I think there is a difference between being someone with siblings at the school, someone with siblings at the school with a parent who writes big checks and someone with a "big name" parent be it a professional athlete, a CEO, a city-council-person, etc. I think there are varying degrees of "connected"
You may disagree, but I am telling you word for word what the head of school told an auditorium full of connected families last month.
Connected = sibling, parent is alum, parent works there. You don't get triple connected points for being a graduate who works there who has one kid in already. You get ONE point regardless of the connection(s).

Being rich and famous is not what 'connected' means in this context.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:27 AM

10 posts, read 22,471 times
WHAT!... No triple connected points!... Man.

So riddle me this: What if you work for a parent that is the sibling of an alum? Is that 1/3 of a connected point?

Maybe legacy would be a more appropriate term? I dunno.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:29 AM

554 posts, read 684,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadfromdallas View Post
All excellent points above, but to my point/question:

With the substantial endowments of the top schools and their ability to now guarantee 'full rides' for 14 years at the pre-k level, wealth/power could be less of an influence... it seems that the proper mix ('connected' and 'non-connected') might be a goal of the admissions staff?...
So, while the top schools all have substantial endowments, there are significant differences in these endowments (which you can look up freely on their websites, but some are almost 5 times that of others.) All of the schools are facing rising tuition costs and tuition doesn't cover the full amount of funds needed for these schools to operate - hence the constant fundraising and donation pressure. No one is "guaranteed" a full ride for 14 years. Financial aid applicants have to reapply every year, regardless of whether their financial situation has changed. Plus, even if the SSS indicates you have a financial need of X dollars, the schools don't have to offer you that amount. Some of the schools are suggesting increasing the number of full tuition paying students to offset the rising tuition costs, so I think full-rides at the pre-K level all the way through are incredibly unlikely/rare (I don't know of one kid for whom that is the case FWIW.)

That said, I do think the top schools want a mix of students as you suggest. Wealth and power will always be an influence, but your kid has to be able to cut the mustard or else his/her admission lowers the reputation of the school.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:33 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
LOL at FW and their 4 private schools, (really 3 because FWA is for everyone that doesn't get into FWCD, TVS or AS) and FWISD as back up. Nope!
Was mocking really neccesary? The idea is actually a good one. Maybe not all the schools will participate but it would be easier on everyone.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:34 AM

554 posts, read 684,117 times
Quote:
You may disagree, but I am telling you word for word what the head of school told an auditorium full of connected families last month.
Connected = sibling, parent is alum, parent works there. You don't get triple connected points for being a graduate who works there who has one kid in already. You get ONE point regardless of the connection(s).

Being rich and famous is not what 'connected' means in this context.
You are right as far as "connected" is concerned, but it's hard to imagine that if someone's name is on a building (and their kid meets the school's standard), they wouldn't edge out another connected kid...

Old 03-09-2018, 11:50 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
So among some of the catholic schools.......

Ursuline announces at 3 or just after.
BL and JPII right at 5.
Jesuit at 7.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
You are right as far as "connected" is concerned, but it's hard to imagine that if someone's name is on a building (and their kid meets the school's standard), they wouldn't edge out another connected kid...
Right. That was just the definition of 'connected.' You can reference my other post where I said you'd have to live in fairy la la land to not think that some people get in just cuz their parents are muckity mucks.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:27 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Well.
Today I was SHOCKED to see a very well connected kid denied admission. I mean, jaw drop shocked.

So what I thought might be lip service was indeed not (they told us in a special meeting not to count on connections).

In other news, our kid did get in and we are grateful and excited.
Congrats on kiddo #2's admission! Happy Spring Break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas