U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 02:46 PM

845 posts, read 814,731 times

Advertisements

Our second floor bathroom toilet (or sink) seems to leak into our master bed closet ceiling(right below the bathroom). Water seems to drip out through the ceiling vent cover. I removed the vent cover and saw one side of the ceiling all moldy. There is no direct access to the area through the roof as the bathroom is right above the closet.

How do I fix it? Plumber or a roof guy?

Do they have to rip apart the entire drywall? I tried flushing the toilet/sink to test and I can hear water dripping sound in the closet ceiling. After around 6-8 minutes, it drips down into the closet carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
Second floor bathroom leak-img_2031.jpg   Second floor bathroom leak-img_2032.jpg   Second floor bathroom leak-img_2033.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 03:15 PM

10,804 posts, read 23,230,623 times
Probably both. The plumber will rip out all of the drywall to get to the actual leak, then you'll need to hire
a drywall contractor to repair the water damage. If there is mold already present, you'll also need a remediation service like ServiceMaster to get rid of that before the drywall repairs can be done. You should be able to file on your homeowner's insurance for this.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:41 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,356,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post

Do they have to rip apart the entire drywall? I tried flushing the toilet/sink to test and I can hear water dripping sound in the closet ceiling. After around 6-8 minutes, it drips down into the closet carpet.
If you are hearing water dripping after you flush/use the sink, it is probably a leak in that room instead of the roof. I would start with a plumber. You may not need a roof person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Probably both. The plumber will rip out all of the drywall to get to the actual leak, then you'll need to hire
a drywall contractor to repair the water damage. If there is mold already present, you'll also need a remediation service like ServiceMaster to get rid of that before the drywall repairs can be done. You should be able to file on your homeowner's insurance for this.
The insurance might cover the mold remediation but probably not the water damage. Most homeowners policies cover "sudden burst" but don't cover leaks/maintenance issues. Having a pipe burst is very different from a gradual leak.

Good luck! I hope it is an easy fix.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:53 AM

12,426 posts, read 12,127,250 times
I'd do this assuming you haven't already.

1). Turn off the water to the associated toilet - not using that toilet at all would be almost as effective if the toilet is at fault unless there a leak out of the tank which is very unlikely. This could be as simple as a bad wax gasket under the toilet.

2). Call a plumber.

3). Unless this leak has been an issue for a while there won't be a mold problem.

Don't fool around these things can morph from an issue to a big problem quickly.

Good luck.

ETA - I couldn't get the pics to open earlier............I agree with escanlan that's not mold.

Last edited by EDS_; 03-05-2018 at 07:38 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 AM

2,378 posts, read 7,052,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Our second floor bathroom toilet (or sink) seems to leak into our master bed closet ceiling(right below the bathroom). Water seems to drip out through the ceiling vent cover. I removed the vent cover and saw one side of the ceiling all moldy. There is no direct access to the area through the roof as the bathroom is right above the closet.

I'm not sure where you are seeing mold as that looks like texture/paint overspray in the register area?

Fixing the leak would obviously be the plumber's job. Could be a leaking wax seal on the toilet. The plumber might be able to find the leak and correct it without drywall removal. The Plumber might also be able to determine how much if any water damage may have occurred and whether it would actually necessitate drywall removal.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'd do this assuming you haven't already.

1). Turn off the water to the associated toilet - not using that toilet at all would be almost as effective if the toilet is at fault unless there a leak out of the tank which is very unlikely. This could be as simple as a bad wax gasket under the toilet.

2). Call a plumber.

3). Unless this leak has been an issue for a while there won't be a mold problem.

Don't fool around these things can morph from an issue to a big problem quickly.

Good luck.

ETA - I couldn't get the pics to open earlier............I agree with escanlan that's not mold.

Thanks EDS. if you notice that one side of the vent hole is dark/wet and the other side is kinda white and dry. I could feel the moisture on the insulation in the dark area.

Also the vent cover had some spots on it which I thought would be mold. I will try to upload that pic.
Is replacing the gasket a DIY project? I found some videos on YouTube. Not quite sure if I should really get the plumber check out the leak issue on the ceiling or let it dry out itself?

Old 03-05-2018, 12:08 PM

4,547 posts, read 5,001,791 times
Quote:
Do they have to rip apart the entire drywall?
Maybe, but don't worry about that. Drywall contractors are cheap, compared to the bill to fix the plumbing, and that orange peel pattern is very easy to match.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
I'm not sure where you are seeing mold as that looks like texture/paint overspray in the register area?

Fixing the leak would obviously be the plumber's job. Could be a leaking wax seal on the toilet. The plumber might be able to find the leak and correct it without drywall removal. The Plumber might also be able to determine how much if any water damage may have occurred and whether it would actually necessitate drywall removal.
Thanks for the info escanlan.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:44 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,356,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Maybe, but don't worry about that. Drywall contractors are cheap, compared to the bill to fix the plumbing, and that orange peel pattern is very easy to match.
This and they don't have to rip it all out. Most sheetrock guys are masters at patching and you will never even know what is old and what is new. They will just cut a hole big enough to fix the problem.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:02 AM

488 posts, read 335,661 times
Call a general contractor. They'll also be able to help process an insurance claim if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: