Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 16,664 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone out there that knows much about the ins and out of Sunnyvale Texas? We know that schools are great, etc... I am just wondering what the community is like? Young/Old? We are looking to build through Ryland homes in the homestead community. Does anyone have an opinion on Ryland homes or the Sunnyvale homestead subdivision? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 06:03 PM

6,687 posts, read 13,902,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessperry22 View Post
Is there anyone out there that knows much about the ins and out of Sunnyvale Texas? We know that schools are great, etc... I am just wondering what the community is like? Young/Old? We are looking to build through Ryland homes in the homestead community. Does anyone have an opinion on Ryland homes or the Sunnyvale homestead subdivision? Thanks for the help!
I can tell you that its a brand new community just like Sunnyvale. I live in Mesquite which is the next burb over. The city of Mesquite refused to allow builders the opportunity to build upscale housing. Sunnyvale jumped right in and decided to embrace the market for homes 300k on up. They have built a new highschool due to open fall 2009 and a city hall within the year. The city at this point is just sprouting from a bedroom community. Infact they do not any grocery stores, shopping centers etc. They do have land that backs up to the Ray Hubbard lake which makes it a valuable commodity. Until recently they used the Mesquite school district but have now branched out. They still don't have there own police force but I suspect thats going to change within the next few years. They are still in the infancy stage but certainly has some very nice communities off Hwy 80. Only thing I can tell you about Ryland Homes is that they have been building for quite sometime. Think of a Frisco when they first starting building around 8 years ago and you will have some idea what Sunnyvale is like now.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:10 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,665,928 times
Sunnyvale is NOT "BRAND NEW" at all! It is a very well-established community that has been there for over 100 years! The "old" Sunnyvale wouldn't allow homes to be built on less than 1 acre lots. Property value was sky high, and it was a very exclusive community. Well, someone sued, and the city now has subdivisions popping up with smaller lots. Hopefully this will increase the town's property revenue, which is sorely needed since there is very little commercial property.

Most of the land that fronts Hubbard is owned by the E Bar S ranch and the TXU power plant, and there is only one park.

Sunnyvale FINALLY has its own high school, which is a good thing! They've needed it for years.

The downside is that most of the roads are 2-lane blacktop, many of which are poorly maintained. Also, you end up relying on Mesquite or south Garland for groceries and shopping, and neither of those communities are getting better in recent years.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Sunnyvale is NOT "BRAND NEW" at all! It is a very well-established community that has been there for over 100 years! The "old" Sunnyvale wouldn't allow homes to be built on less than 1 acre lots. Property value was sky high, and it was a very exclusive community. Well, someone sued, and the city now has subdivisions popping up with smaller lots. Hopefully this will increase the town's property revenue, which is sorely needed since there is very little commercial property.

Most of the land that fronts Hubbard is owned by the E Bar S ranch and the TXU power plant, and there is only one park.

Sunnyvale FINALLY has its own high school, which is a good thing! They've needed it for years.

The downside is that most of the roads are 2-lane blacktop, many of which are poorly maintained. Also, you end up relying on Mesquite or south Garland for groceries and shopping, and neither of those communities are getting better in recent years.

When I say Sunnyvale is brand new I am talking about he area he is considering building in not the city itself. Frisco is not a new city but it certainly has a new feel to it due to all the new subdivisions. There are some very nice older homes in Sunnyvale east of Beltline. To my knowledge they have 3 three established subdivisons. One on each side of hwy 80 where some of the homes are pushing a million dollars. The other is located on the west side of Beltline and the homes there are priced from about 140k-200k. I have only driven by the new master communities that are being built. They are very very nice. It appears to me that community is starting to wean itself away from the City of Mesquite and Garland.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 16,664 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the help. We are coming to Dallas from Virginia to check it out more. If anyone knows about the demographics of Sunnyvale, that would be great to know! Thanks again!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:14 PM

Just know its a very small community right now. Like stated earlier they have very few businesses and the infrastructure needs some work. To my knowledge they don't even have their own grocery store. You would have to depend on Garland and Mesquite to do most of your shopping. They are building a medical center and maybe a grocery store near the corner of Hwy 80 and Collins. I say maybe for the grocery store because the Super Walmart has caused three are grocery stores to close down. The master community your considering sits between Hwy 80 and I-30 and his a large community in a pretty rural looking area. They are just starting to ramp up with there on city services.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:15 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,665,928 times
Demographics of Sunnyvale are mostly white, upper income. There are a few small old homes still left, so a few people will be lower income, but not many.

Sunnyvale has almost zero retail. Kearney's store at Town East and Belt Line is about it. You'll have to go into Mesquite or Garland for everything.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:57 PM

68 posts, read 232,334 times
Smile About Ryland

Quote:
Thanks for the help. We are coming to Dallas from Virginia to check it out more. If anyone knows about the demographics of Sunnyvale, that would be great to know! Thanks again!
About Ryland-

My husband and I are buyer's reps with a specialty in NEW home sales. Ryland is not a bad builder, but you might want to shop around and compare the different features that other builder's offer in Sunnyvale. For instance, one builder may offer granite as standard, and the other will offer it as an upgrade. I always tell clients to do some comparison shopping before you buy. The rep. that sits in the model works for the builder, and it's their job to make their product look like the best thing since sliced bread.

Energy efficiency is very important in TX..because your AC will become your very best friend in the summer months!

Moderator cut: soliciting

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-26-2008 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Soliciting strictly prohibited

Old 03-26-2008, 01:50 PM

68 posts, read 232,334 times
Smile More helpful Sunnyvale info!

Quote:
Here is the low-down on Sunnyvale..
Presently -07-'08 up to 10th-goes to Sunnyvale HS
-08-09- Up to 11th grade..and the next year up to 12th.

1) The area is mostly upscale with homes in the 300K range and up on larger lots.
2)Commute time to downtown Dallas is about 20 minutes..which is great.
3) Major Shopping within 10 minutes

I have another community in Sunnyvale with 20K incentives on lots for build jobs. I do not know if you need to build on buy now? I have not got Sunnyvale on my map yet, but there are other areas (rockwall, sachse, wylie, fate) which might interest you. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-26-2008 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Advertising is strictly prohibited

Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM

937 posts, read 2,894,907 times
20 mins to downtown Dallas? Is it really that close?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas