Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:20 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,206,816 times

Advertisements

Dallas is plenty green. It's just not the vibrant green shading as Atlanta or up into the Carolinas. I'm from Raleigh aint is aint called the city of oaks for nothing. The biggest noticeable difference is that the trees (overall) are much shorter. Generally no taller than a two and rarely four story building. There are areas however where trees are much denser and taller generally old growth areas and areas near large bodies of water. As the above poster mentioned it's the soil that lessens the hugeness of the trees here. much of old east Dallas is very green and southward toward oakcliff.. Trees will grow here if planted but they don't just naturally spout up like the east coast and the Appalachian states and certainly not like the pacific northwest.

People in Dallas are friendly but guarded and a bit surface. Surely, not as friendly as other southern cities, but better than many others I imagine. I think it's partly attributed to the newness of many of the areas and transplants from so many different places as someone else had mentioned. Also, part of it is just that pretentious vibe the city was well known (good, bad or indifferent) I feel like that is being eroded away thankfully due the the new transplants and companies.

Last edited by Taynxtlvl; 03-19-2018 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 02:21 PM

5,248 posts, read 6,331,190 times
Quote:
Trees will grow here if planted but they don't just naturally spout up like the east coast and the Appalachian states and certainly not like the pacific northwest.
They certainly do. It's just that most people cut them down when they are small. The gardener's fight in the spring is getting rid of oak and hackberry trees in addition to regular weeds.

Most of the empty land in Dallas is mowed and manicured.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:48 PM

937 posts, read 736,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
They certainly do. It's just that most people cut them down when they are small. The gardener's fight in the spring is getting rid of oak and hackberry trees in addition to regular weeds.

Most of the empty land in Dallas is mowed and manicured.
Speaking of manicured, I'm really impressed with the many manicured yards I'm seeing on Zillow in Dallas. I'm seeing some nice topiary type bushes, trimmed hedges, nicely shaped boxwoods, and nice trim ivy borders around gorgeous trees. With all the brick homes and manicured yards, it's like there's a nice old European influence going on there. It's like a miracle seeing houses with brick walls and wrought iron gates again. Denver has the most amount of ugly utilitarian, old school fencing of any place I could imagine. Really love the more formal, sculpted yards I'm seeing in Dallas.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:46 PM

937 posts, read 736,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've lived in European cities where people have reputations for being fairly rude. I've spent a significant portion of my adult life in Dallas plus I was born and raised here. This is the rudest city I've ever lived in, hands-down. I made friends in Europe who'd jump the next thing smoking to sit at my side if I needed them to...and I'd do the same for them. Once you make a friend there, you've truly made a friend.

People here aren't so much rude to your face, but I'd almost prefer that over the sickly-sweet fake superficial friendliness that you get from people here. People here are tribal and superficial and if you move into a neighborhood but don't fit the queen bee's mold, you're held at arm's length. Sure, people might wave to you. You might even get invited to a block party or two if the whole street is going. But that's as far as it goes. You are kept out of the circle. They all know each other and are involved in each others' lives, but when you show up at the 4th of July thingummy-whatever, you have to reintroduce yourself to everyone there because nobody remembers you. They'll chat awkwardly for a few minutes, then excuse themselves to go talk to someone else.

If you don't like me and don't want me around, say so. It'd save all of us so much hassle. Likewise it'd save me a lot of hassle if I could just flip you the bird and tell you to eff off. But I can't.

Houses of worship and workplaces are much the same. It's very challenging to make friends here if you don't fit into one of about a dozen specific molds.
Strange if true. I certainly don't want to have to kow tow to some local Queen Bee and her minions, and would find belonging to some neighborhood social clique exhausting and claustrophobic. The only time I've encountered this was when my kids were young, and there were these stay at home mom cliques with one Queen Bee that was gatekeeper to the playdates and birthday parties. She took over the PTA too. Thank god my kids are older now, and I no longer must deal with cliques of women ever again in my entire life. BigDGeek, just show up to the parties with a slight buzz, and hang out and mingle with the neighborhood older folks. They are way past this silly, tedious BS and are the best people to talk to anyway.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,080,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Strange if true. I certainly don't want to have to kow tow to some local Queen Bee and her minions, and would find belonging to some neighborhood social clique exhausting and claustrophobic. The only time I've encountered this was when my kids were young, and there were these stay at home mom cliques with one Queen Bee that was gatekeeper to the playdates and birthday parties. She took over the PTA too. Thank god my kids are older now, and I no longer must deal with cliques of women ever again in my entire life. BigDGeek, just show up to the parties with a slight buzz, and hang out and mingle with the neighborhood older folks. They are way past this silly, tedious BS and are the best people to talk to anyway.
I just don't go.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:00 PM

18,494 posts, read 7,250,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Hello All,

My husband finds out in a week or two if we are moving to Dallas for a potential new job. We are currently living in the Denver area, and I'm hoping that Dallas will be much greener with more trees than the Front Range of Colorado. It's very brown, dry, dusty, and barren here in Denver much of the year, and this is the main thing about it that I don't like. I grew up in Atlanta, and since living in Denver, I've yearned to go back there just for it's beautiful trees, flowers, and plants. I'm hoping Dallas is somewhat similar to Atlanta with greenery. Many of the Dallas yards on Zillow (looking at surrounding suburbs of Dallas) look much prettier than Denver yards, and I'm so excited about this possibility! The housing is certainly much nicer in Dallas.

However, people on forums have said that Dallas has no natural scenic beauty and so I'm wondering if I'm missing something when I see all these pretty properties. What do they mean by this? Do you think this is true? Coming from the Front Range, just having greenery and trees would be beautiful and scenic after a few years in this very brown, dusty, dry place. The mountains in the background are beautiful to look at, but the actual Front Range is quite the opposite to me. Also, it rains so infrequently that it looks kind of dusty, dirty, and grimy to me all of the time in Denver. Does it rain a good bit in Dallas? If so, I'm hoping Dallas is cleaner looking than Denver with more rain and this would qualify as scenic beauty for me.

Also, are people as a whole friendly and warm in Dallas? I've found the people in Denver to be cordial and pleasant enough, but there is also a reservedness and aloofness as well. I would love to get back to a place with more of the warmth, social etiquette, sweetness, and hospitality of some places that I've lived in the South. Hoping Dallas has this as well.

Thanks in advance for any feedback everyone!
1. Dallas is extremely friendly, friendlier than Atlanta in my experience.

2. Dallas looks nothing like Atlanta. Except along creeks, trees rarely grow more than 40 feet tall. However, lots of homeowners and commercial landlords (or property managers) try hard to make their yards and properties look nice and green (and colorful, with flowers). That explains the pictures you see.

There are lots of beautiful Dallas neighborhoods with lots of Dallas-sized trees.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 03-20-2018 at 02:04 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
And have you seen the size of the crepe myrtles at the Arboretum? Wow.
Hmmm. I don't recall seeing any crepe myrtles at the Arboretum that caught my attention like the gigantic crepe myrtles at the Emory U. hospital in Atlanta.

And you won't see any 100-foot loblollies, either.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:36 PM

19,471 posts, read 17,695,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Hmmm. I don't recall seeing any crepe myrtles at the Arboretum that caught my attention like the gigantic crepe myrtles at the Emory U. hospital in Atlanta.

And you won't see any 100-foot loblollies, either.
Crape Myrtle Allee - Dallas Arboretum

Old 03-20-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Sure, I've walked through that tunnel a few times in the last couple years, but I've seen 45-foot crepe myrtles in Atlanta.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 PM

19,471 posts, read 17,695,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Sure, I've walked through that tunnel a few times in the last couple years, but I've seen 45-foot crepe myrtles in Atlanta.
Yea. They are here too if you'd look - like in my front yard. They'll grow that tall here in maybe 15/18 years with lots of pruning and some TLC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas