U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 09:03 PM

19 posts, read 54,842 times

Advertisements

We're hoping to relocate to Dallas from Winnipeg, Canada. Are there any nice neighborhoods for a home budget of $200,000? We have 2 kids ages 4 and 5 so we need to be close to schools too. Also, where can we get information about costs of utilities?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:56 PM

4,198 posts, read 14,539,949 times
Hello Canadian Girl,

Where will you be commuting to for work? that would help a lot to give you advice? Also, what is an acceptable commute time for you? 30-45min???

Naima

Old 03-26-2008, 08:16 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,383,998 times
spend a little time in this post

Dallas Metroplex - Relocation Information Index

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-16-2008 at 08:00 PM..

Old 03-26-2008, 10:47 PM

68 posts, read 219,413 times
Smile Get a newer energy efficient home!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian girl View Post
We're hoping to relocate to Dallas from Winnipeg, Canada. Are there any nice neighborhoods for a home budget of $200,000? We have 2 kids ages 4 and 5 so we need to be close to schools too. Also, where can we get information about costs of utilities?
With NEW/newer homes, your utilities should be a little lower than an older home, say built in 2002 or before. Many builders use an "Energy Star" system which insures that your electric bill won't exceed a certain amount. In TX, your AC will be your best friend in the summer months. House prices here are good and you should be able to find a nice brick home around 2000 sq. ft. or more for 200K, depending on the area. I used to live in a 1700 sq. ft. house built in '99 and my electric bills were around 300-350Kmonth in the summer. With our new home, that was built in '07 it cost the same amount, but my home is 3200 sq. ft. So, energy efficiency is key! Also, be aware that our property taxes are high, and that you can figure 1% of your home cost for your payment. 200K- about 2,000 (PITI) a month...maybe a little lower depending on your interest rate. Blessings, Amy

Old 03-31-2008, 02:39 PM

19 posts, read 54,842 times
We're looking at having a home built by Ryland? Do you know much about them? Do you know anything about the Wright Farms community? How far of a commute to Presbysterian Hospital of Dallas? I might be getting a job there.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:09 PM

68 posts, read 219,413 times
Red face Ryland & Seagoville Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian girl View Post
We're looking at having a home built by Ryland? Do you know much about them? Do you know anything about the Wright Farms community? How far of a commute to Presbysterian Hospital of Dallas? I might be getting a job there.
Ryland is not a bad builder. I would be more concerned with schools (DISD) in that area. If you have children I would look at the TEA (Texas Education Agency) website.-Kleberg Elem./S'gille Middle and HS are Academically Acceptable which is not very good. You might want to consider looking out East at Wylie, Sachse, and Rockwall/Royse City/Lavon areas. The commute from east of Dallas is not too bad and the schools are better. Just my opinion. The homes might be less expensive in Wright Farms, but its because the schools are probably not as desireable. I would shop around and do my homework before making any decisions. Blessings, Amy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas