Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:58 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times

Advertisements

Bro I know all about the ATL. My paps and his side of the family live there. It is overrated. Everybody there is fake and they want to have the image of Hollywood. DFW is a great place. It has everything you need bro. Nice big mega churches like T.D. Jakes church, clubs, affluent black communities and most of all the people here are hard working and real. DFW is a very progressive metropolitan area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 03:58 PM

686 posts, read 2,435,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I just did some research on Deep Ellum.

Apparently the main concert halls have been shut down, trees, and gyspy tea ballroom, etc because of a skin head that killled somebody there in that area.

So, I'm not sure what else is going on in Deep Ellum. It used to be a really cool hang out.
That is not the reason those places have shut down. There is major redevelopment going on in that area and many places are not getting their leases renewed by the city and also developers have been buying whole blocks in the area for development. There are still a few clubs there, but nothing like it used to be.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
So is greenville avenue the only other street for hanging out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymachinebl View Post
That is not the reason those places have shut down. There is major redevelopment going on in that area and many places are not getting their leases renewed by the city and also developers have been buying whole blocks in the area for development. There are still a few clubs there, but nothing like it used to be.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:03 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Bro I know all about the ATL. My paps and his side of the family live there. It is overrated. Everybody there is fake and they want to have the image of Hollywood. DFW is a great place. It has everything you need bro. Nice big mega churches like T.D. Jakes church, clubs, affluent black communities and most of all the people here are hard working and real. DFW is a very progressive metropolitan area.

Weeelllllllll, it kind of depends on what side of town you're in and what social circle you hang out in. Most of my friends relocated here as well, and are hard-working folks who are unimpressed with the wannabe "rappers" and "producers" out here.

And I used to live in California a long time ago. Atlanta is NOT Hollywood. Not by a long shot.

Back on subject, LOL, Austin seems like a nice place, but comparing the two is kind of hard because one is a midsize metropolitan area vs. a large regional center. It's like comparing Sacramento to the Bay Area or Albany to NYC. There really is none.

One thing I like about TX is that it seems to be multiple metropolitan areas in one state vs. having one major metropolitan area with nothing but small towns and mid-size cities resentful of the major metro area like you have here.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
LOL. I'm a man! I've heard good things about D/FW being a good place for African-Americans. I'm in the supposed "black mecca" of Atlanta, and while I like the place, it ain't what it's all cracked up to be. It's oversaturated with people! And from what I've heard, the metro areas are similar enough, and I'll still be close to my family in Mississippi.

I hear DFW is one of the few places that is actually great for families AND singles.

Bro I know all about the ATL. My paps and his side of the family live there. It is overrated. Everybody there is fake and they want to have the image of Hollywood. DFW is a great place. It has everything you need bro nice big mega churches like T.D. Jakes church, affluent black communities, clubs, and most of all the people here are down to earth and progressive.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:04 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Yes, where are the main places for nightlife? I always hear about Greenville Avenue and Addison Circle and DT Dallas.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,094 times
Having lived in both cities for several years each, if I had a choice, I would choose to live in Austin. It's prettier (BY FAR) and more laid back. Austin is definitely more liberal than Dallas, as a whole, but you can certainly find liberals in Dallas. I would say that Dallas is more diverse, but Austinites are very accepting of any race and culture. Dallas definitely has a more urban feel, for sure. Austin has a more funky, laid back, hippie vibe.
I really love both cities and feel you can't go wrong living in either one. It's all about finding the right neighborhood and niche wherever you happen to live. Apply for jobs in both cities, visit both a few times, then make an informed decision.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM

686 posts, read 2,435,868 times
Greenville Ave, Knox-Henderson, Addison, Oak Lawn, and there are other clubs/bars scattered around Dallas, like in Uptown and Downtown.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Yes, where are the main places for nightlife? I always hear about Greenville Avenue and Addison Circle and DT Dallas.
Yeah that about right man it a lot of them bro scattered out around the Metroplex but lower Greenville/Deep Ellum and uptown is the spot.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:23 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,094 times
I will add that I had a girlfriend who was African American who moved away from Austin because there were not enough single, successful AA's in Austin for her to hang out with. She moved to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas