Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 11:24 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
Anyone know why the land data (lot size) is not currently displayed on DCAD? I’d like to use neighborhood data to support a protest and the lots on my street and nearby vary in size. I think I can figure out lot sizes by comparing land valuations, but would love to have the lot sizes back up on DCAD. Do they usually take this data down at this time? Since even small differences in lot size can make a difference in my area, I’d really like to have this info.
Have you downloaded the huge spreadsheet(s) from DCAD with all of the data fields? Some of the info in the spreadsheets is not in the internet display.

Also in my experience they undervalue land a bit in DCAD and shove more value into the structure. Others may have more in depth knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 12:58 PM

793 posts, read 1,222,745 times
Thanks, I’ll look at the spreadsheet. I am still curious
Why they took the land data down from the website. It was still up a couple of days ago, and the field is still there but not the actual data.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:50 PM

I see what you are talking about regarding the land being removed, kinda strange.

Start getting familiar with the Excel function VLOOKUP...

ETA: Can someone explain the general process with a tax agent? Does the agent take photos of your home or just do comparisons with databases? And how do you pay them? For the first year I assume you pay them some large percentage (like 50%?) of the savings they get. What about subsequent years ? Is the contract a multi year commitment? etc etc .

Last edited by cordata; 04-15-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 04-15-2018, 02:28 PM

128 posts, read 231,635 times
We bought an older ranch house last year and paid $360 K. We probably overpaid some since we were in a hurry and not very familiar with the neighborhood. This year, every other house that has the same sqft in our neighborhood is appraised at around $250k and our house is appraised at $369 K. Can we do anything about it?
Thank you!

Old 04-15-2018, 03:59 PM

793 posts, read 1,222,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
Have you downloaded the huge spreadsheet(s) from DCAD with all of the data fields? Some of the info in the spreadsheets is not in the internet display.

Also in my experience they undervalue land a bit in DCAD and shove more value into the structure. Others may have more in depth knowledge.
I’ve searched DCAD but don’t know where the spreadsheet is that you are referring to. Would you mind posting a link please. Thank you!

Old 04-15-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
I’ve searched DCAD but don’t know where the spreadsheet is that you are referring to. Would you mind posting a link please. Thank you!
http://www.dallascad.org/ViewPDFs.as...18_CURRENT.ZIP

On the DCAD web site choose "Data Products" on the left.

The only way I have found to deal with this is to take each CSV file and put it as a tab/worksheet inside an excel workbook. Then create a master sheet with the data you want and use VLOOKUP to find all of the data in the various sheets...

Old 04-16-2018, 04:05 PM

188 posts, read 230,960 times
My market value has gone up $240K since 2011. Went up $65K from 2017. Yikes. Time to find a property tax atty...

Old 04-17-2018, 11:11 AM

133 posts, read 87,695 times
My assessment increased from $258k to $275k. We refinanced last year and the appraisal came in at $300k. So in my mind, I don't have a leg to stand on to appeal for a lower value.

For those who are planning to appeal, is your tax assessment more than market value? Other than that, I'm not sure what data could be used to dispute considering everyone's values have increased YOY. Other than the shock and aggravation of the increase in and of itself, if the value is still less than market value, why would the county agree to lower the taxed value?

Old 04-17-2018, 12:10 PM

9 posts, read 15,899 times
I will be disputing if Denton raises my taxes again this year... I've been watching recently sold houses and there is no reason why my house should increase.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:34 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgekko View Post
For those who are planning to appeal, is your tax assessment more than market value?
My new tax assessment is about $25k higher than I paid for the house in October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas