Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 09:43 AM

8,151 posts, read 3,676,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
question on protesting property tax.... If you had a roof damage due to hail in 2017 and got a new roof installed. Can you use roof replacement cost as a depreciation to your home appraisal value?

Also like to know what type of things you can use as to protest your property tax? (I know that you can use CMA report to show other homes appraised at lower price/sq ft than yours, but like to know other valid ideas).
If anything, the value of your house has actually increased due to the new roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 09:59 AM

559 posts, read 936,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
If anything, the value of your house has actually increased due to the new roof.
interesting.... If I had not done the new roof last year. Would that cause depreciation on my home value because it had a hail damage?

Old 04-26-2018, 10:16 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Yep. There is kind of a perverse incentive to keep your home as ****ty as possible.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:44 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
question on protesting property tax.... If you had a roof damage due to hail in 2017 and got a new roof installed. Can you use roof replacement cost as a depreciation to your home appraisal value?

Also like to know what type of things you can use as to protest your property tax? (I know that you can use CMA report to show other homes appraised at lower price/sq ft than yours, but like to know other valid ideas).
Your home appraisal is not where you can claim depreciation for a new roof, as others have said, your home value is now increased due to it.

You could have possibly gotten some tax relief by filing your roof replacement with your annual income taxes last year, Form 4684, which is for casualties and thefts. But it's subject to your income level and other factors. We had about a $10k difference between the value of our home + insurance reimbursement vs previous value, but we earned more than is allowed to take that deduction.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:33 PM

692 posts, read 855,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
What about gentrification and commercial/retain in roads in your general area?
Non-existent. We're solidly working-class, with a school next door which is a perennial United Way charity recipient.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:12 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Texas is GOP controlled and they have no plans to Privatize schools. The very best school districts in TX are run by conservatives and their tax money goes to Robin Hood to support the Democrat run poor school districts. The money flows from the rich to the poor in Robing Hood. Just ask the taxpayers in cities like Plano, Southlake Highland Park and Coppell.

Texas has been trying to figure out how to finance their poor school districts your and my entire lives without a state income tax. Thus Robin Hood.

Back to OP. I would not be surprised if we don't see some major legislation capping taxes much like CA passed Proposition 13 many years ago to keep people from being taxed out of their homes. We the people of TX can only afford so much. There has to be a limit.
I was surprised to learn that Southlake actually isn't a big recapture district, as the rates were established and haven't been adjusted, prior to most of Southlake's development. I wish I could find the figures and if I have time later I might Google around to find them. Where we are in Grapevine/Colleyville ISD, though, is hit really hard from Robin Hood.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:08 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
So I still haven't actually gotten a physical letter yet (but did get an email awhile ago)

I thought letters had to be physically mailed?

Old 04-27-2018, 12:55 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
So I still haven't actually gotten a physical letter yet (but did get an email awhile ago)

I thought letters had to be physically mailed?
From the appraisal district? You should have that by now.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:06 PM

65 posts, read 84,393 times
Just want to share my failed experience with the forum.

My house is located in Tarrant county. I went to the appraisal website, and found three (3) of my neighbors whose appraisal values are much lower than mine (same square footage, all with pools), so I printed their appraisal values out and brought to the hearings.

After I presented the evidences, the ARB told me they do not consider other people's appraisal value, they only consider the sale prices last year in my neighborhood.

For people who would like to protest by their own, I would suggest focus on the sold houses last year in your neighborhood for protesting purpose.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:05 AM

200 posts, read 548,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAussie View Post
Just want to share my failed experience with the forum.

My house is located in Tarrant county. I went to the appraisal website, and found three (3) of my neighbors whose appraisal values are much lower than mine (same square footage, all with pools), so I printed their appraisal values out and brought to the hearings.

After I presented the evidences, the ARB told me they do not consider other people's appraisal value, they only consider the sale prices last year in my neighborhood.

For people who would like to protest by their own, I would suggest focus on the sold houses last year in your neighborhood for protesting purpose.
Thanks for sharing. Sadly I have decided to give up fighting. I estimate I can at best lower my property value by 10000 if I were lucky by protesting in person. However the time and gas costs may not be worth the potential $200 in savings. (that would be $16.7 a month...) It's probably easier to find some other ways to make up the $200---by selling some unwanted used items on eBay...etc. I'm really hoping the interest rates would go back to 5%+ to cool down the market a bit. I know it would take time but the long waited rate increase is encouraging. The savers have been punished for 10 years. that is really long enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas