Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 06:26 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,271 times

Advertisements

My oldest daughter (11) is going to be in Algebra later this year. I was looking at options for a say, once a week enrichment math class. We are currently located in North Plano, and I am currently considering either MTGK or Russian Math but wanted to look at other potential options. I don't want to enroll her in something like AwesomeMath because my objective is not to prepare her for Math contests, but just to have a decent base for above-average curriculum-based Math instruction which I don't think I can realistically rely on the public schools for. I do have time constraints, being that I work, and I am open to North Plano, Frisco, South McKinney, etc. for weekday evenings, and if during the weekends, Allen, Lewisville, Little Elm, Carrollton, (and perhaps a little further) etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 07:47 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
My oldest daughter (11) is going to be in Algebra later this year. I was looking at options for a say, once a week enrichment math class. We are currently located in North Plano, and I am currently considering either MTGK or Russian Math but wanted to look at other potential options. I don't want to enroll her in something like AwesomeMath because my objective is not to prepare her for Math contests, but just to have a decent base for above-average curriculum-based Math instruction which I don't think I can realistically rely on the public schools for. I do have time constraints, being that I work, and I am open to North Plano, Frisco, South McKinney, etc. for weekday evenings, and if during the weekends, Allen, Lewisville, Little Elm, Carrollton, (and perhaps a little further) etc.
I can't help with specifics only offer my support that these programs are likely both excellent and would be of great value to your daughter. To me algebra is the stepping off point not just into maths above arithmetic but more importantly how to understand and manipulate abstractions with creativity but also discipline.

IMO all that leads to a better way of thinking about everything.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:01 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
I like your approach of not pushing her into math competitions. Those should be left for high school, if a kid is interested, he'll find its way through school. I've seen too many parents burdening their younger kids early on to no advantage, similar behavior as football crazed dads, pageant moms or spelling bee fams, making kids live as show ponies. As far as programs during school years go, its too much, after full day of school and home work, kids need to relax or do activities they like, not commute to after school centers and have additional work. Every other kid nowadays is spending after school hours at Kumon, KD, Math centers etc., its crazy. Find tutor or course for summer.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 04-16-2018 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I like your approach of not pushing her into math competitions. Those should be left for high school, if a kid is interested, he'll find its way through school. I've seen too many parents burdening their younger kids early on to no advantage, similar behavior as football crazed dads, pageant moms or spelling bee fams, making kids live as show ponies. As far as programs during school years go, its too much, after full day of school and home work, kids need to relax or do activities they like, not commute to after school centers and have additional work. Every other kid nowadays is spending after school hours at Kumon, KD, Math centers etc., its crazy. Find tutor or course for summer.
One of the great beauties in life is that you decide what works for you and you absolutely do not get to decide for others what is "crazy".

Old 04-16-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
One of the great beauties in life is that you decide what works for you and you absolutely do not get to decide for others what is "crazy".
Another beauty in life is that I get to decide what I think is crazy, other people are free to define it as they please, i'm not imposing censor on their opinions. I oppose all forms of child labor, overtime academic slavery is no exception.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Another beauty in life is that I get to decide what I think is crazy, other people are free to define it as they please, i'm not imposing censor on their opinions. I oppose all forms of child labor, overtime academic slavery is no exception.
Listen sometime in the future when someone you know needs a neurosurgeon to fix a skull, neck or back fracture or whatever and my son is the cat with the knife running the show ask him if he thought his extra math work as a kid was academic slavery. Same song different dance with my daughter although her plan is more like OB.

Being soft and too "kind" to our kids is ruining them.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:39 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Maybe we could trust parents to know what is best for their child. Maybe the OP knows and understands what his daughter needs or wants.

It was a simple question. We do not need to turn this into the next episode of "A Game of Thrones".

Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Listen sometime in the future when someone you know needs a neurosurgeon to fix a skull, neck or back fracture or whatever and my son is the cat with the knife running the show ask him if he thought his extra math work as a kid was academic slavery. Same song different dance with my daughter although her plan is more like OB.

Being soft and too "kind" to our kids is ruining them.
Being a parent and being a demanding slave owner are two different things. Instead of driving them crazy, we can kindly lead them to be self-driven, works better in long term and benefits mental health.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Maybe we could trust parents to know what is best for their child. Maybe the OP knows and understands what his daughter needs or wants.

It was a simple question. We do not need to turn this into the next episode of "A Game of Thrones".
Okay. I'm sure OP does and he isn't going to mold his parental pilosphy because random internet posters said so. EDS and I were merely stating our opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas