Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 08:38 AM

964 posts, read 876,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Niche is just a random website, would someone buy a house for what Zillow.com estimates?
I suggest you look at the criteria they use. While no criteria is perfect for everyone comparing zillow to niche is ludicrous. Having said that Niche is a reputable site that uses solid criteria to compare schools and districts. If you disregard the criteria that they use then others can disregard the criteria you use thereby proclaiming Allen is far better than Plano.

I personally would likely choose Allen to live in over Plano myself as I find Plano way down on the list of appealing places in the Metroplex to live. Having said that it is also more appealing than a ton of other places in DFW.

People from Plano crapping on Allen again which is pretty funny when you consider the 2 cities.

Last edited by kyam11; 05-05-2018 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 10:37 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,171,571 times
https://www.niche.com/k12/search/col...th-metro-area/

Old 05-05-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Missing the point of this post

Old 05-05-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Missing the point of this post
Read again. Its a list (from the site you trust) for DFW's best academic schools.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:07 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,663 times
Quote:
You do realize on niche.com that Allen is ranked the #6 best district and Plano #7?

Those Plano people letting those pesky facts get in the way.
I think that you must have looked at a different site than I'm looking at.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/col...th-metro-area/

Plano West is #3.
Plano Senior High is #9.
Allen High is #14.
Plano East is #15.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:30 PM

Gotta love people who can't due an ounce of due diligence.

1) . Are there a lot of 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 and 13 year olds that go to Plano West? Oh wait you didn't realize education doesn't start at 14?

2) . Even with both of those high schools rated what they are the District is rated below Allen's. Learn some statistics and what that means about schools other than those two. Hint: Since those schools are rated higher that means others drag down the district

So no. I just know how to read a site correctly.

It is like you look at a marathon runner and look at the time he/she runs mile 20-21 and declare them the winner because they beat the person next to them without realizing that the marathon is the whole race.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ricts/s/texas/

Please tell me who #6 is and please tell me who #7 is.

Please let me know when you actually learn how to read a site. I'll be waiting.

So along with having a better school district there are multiple other appealing reasons to choose Allen over Plano. Allen would be my 3rd or 4th choice. Plano would be about 8th-10th for me.

Btw Allen high is ranked higher than both Plano East and Plano Senior. Allen in the 40s for high school and Plano Senior and East in the 60s and 70s

Last edited by kyam11; 05-05-2018 at 07:44 PM..

Old 05-05-2018, 09:11 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,045 times
Quote:
Gotta love people who can't due an ounce of due diligence.

1) . Are there a lot of 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 and 13 year olds that go to Plano West? Oh wait you didn't realize education doesn't start at 14?

2) . Even with both of those high schools rated what they are the District is rated below Allen's. Learn some statistics and what that means about schools other than those two. Hint: Since those schools are rated higher that means others drag down the district

So no. I just know how to read a site correctly.

It is like you look at a marathon runner and look at the time he/she runs mile 20-21 and declare them the winner because they beat the person next to them without realizing that the marathon is the whole race.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ricts/s/texas/

Please tell me who #6 is and please tell me who #7 is.

Please let me know when you actually learn how to read a site. I'll be waiting.

So along with having a better school district there are multiple other appealing reasons to choose Allen over Plano. Allen would be my 3rd or 4th choice. Plano would be about 8th-10th for me.

Btw Allen high is ranked higher than both Plano East and Plano Senior. Allen in the 40s for high school and Plano Senior and East in the 60s and 70s
Isn’t the AISD smaller than PISD? Isn’t Plano a bit more diverse demographically?

Old 05-06-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Isn’t the AISD smaller than PISD? Isn’t Plano a bit more diverse demographically?
Yes and yes

Old 05-06-2018, 09:01 AM

427 posts, read 493,934 times
Quote:
Read again. Its a list (from the site you trust) for DFW's best academic schools.
It's you who has to read it again (remember to remove Plano glasses, so you can see world outside of Plano - pun intended).

Allen high school is right there at # 14 - which is respectable - not anywhere close to what your comments represent - like weak, no focus on academics etc. Overall as an ISD, it does a good job with excellent elementary and middle school on west side - no matter what rankings you take - Niche, Great Schools, CNN money magazine rankings, TX scores - look for your self. You (and few others) conveniently try to ignore and just pass on negative comments about Allen. Whatever positives, you try to make it appear negative. Don't try to live up to your name by being "unfair". Give respect as it deserves.

Here are also the facts. If anyone wants to have a meaningful conversation, need to discuss in a proper manner. Not just ignore the facts and say something rubbish. Note: I only try to post if I see false/lies being posted about Allen.

Here are my thoughts, anyone who wants to have a meaningful conversation, can respond to the points I mentioned to have a healthy conversation. Not just post something because you can type or have a computer or a smart phone and have time to post and spread negativity.

How can anyone say Allen weak or no focus on education? - When Allen High consistently performs well than ALL SEVEN high schools in Frisco (except may be Liberty)? And when it ranks high than ALL schools in Richardson including JJ Pierce? When it consistently performs better than ALL schools in McKinney? When it performs better than Prosper?
Not to mention top elementary schools like Kerr, Evans, Boon, Green, Cheatham etc. and Erekson Middle school especially on west side? Go and check any rankings site for more details on these?

Allen high stands at #14 in above rankings - HIGHER than Plano East at #15, JJ Pearce at #18, Colleyville # 17 and higher than Heritage, Centennial and aLL other schools in Frisco, Higher than Marcus etc.

Even if you take NMSF Allen as a whole at 21 is higher than ALL schools in Frisco, Richardson, Prosper, McKinney, Lovejoy.

Facilities are arguably one of the best in the area.

Location between 121 and 75 (free access) is an unique advantage with easy access to two main job centers Plano West & Richardson - You CAN'T say the same about many areas in Frisco, Prosper, McKinney, East & Central Plano (Parts along 121 in Allen are much closer to DNT/Legacy than many other parts in East/Central Plano), direct access to DFW via 121 etc.

And not to mention about shopping, parks and other amenities with affordable new and existing homes "compared" to West Plano.

When those above are facts - how can anyone give blanket statements like Plano is good or Frisco is good etc.?

Bottom line what I am saying is: I am repeating the above because, few posters on this board conveniently ignores all the facts and spreading false/negative impression by giving blanket statements. ALL these suburbs are good and EACH situation is unique. There are good areas/schools in ALL towns. So, one has to give a reasonable recommendation. IT is NOT entirely school responsible for success. It's students, parents themselves for the most part. Otherwise, why only 60 NMSF in West Plano? Why not 600 if it is solely the school?

So, a thorough review is needed for each posters situation and a recommendation is to be given. Not paint everything by same brush and give blanket statements. Because it will not work. Message to posters is to take all the feedback - Look at ALL possible options and take your own decision. Do not get influenced by few posters on public form when taking important decision like buying a home.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sali1019 View Post
Hi, we are moving from nj and trying to decide between Plano and Allen high school. With the current restructuring in Plano schools, we are looking at between Clark / Jasper and Plano West / Plano Senior. We hear Jasper and Plano West best however concerned of the competitive nature and having a balanced lifestyle while having excellent academics. This is why then we started looking at Allen high school which seems to offer everything but huge and comprised of all of Allen though not ranked as high as plano? We are not concerned of housing or commutes, just want best education for our gifted 9th grader (who plans to go to a great higher education university), while having many opportunities such as in science research, debate, orchestra and fine arts, caring teachers who make you think, and a supportive environment. We are interested in APs and Honors, not in IB. Can you please share your knowledge of whether Allen is great in meeting our desires or should we stick to Plano and if Plano which combination? Thanks so much in advance!
@DFWUser1 Instead of looking at it through your patriotic filter, if you only bothered to read OP's post, you would know that she is looking for a rigrous college prep high school and trying to decide between PWSH and Allen High. To be straightforward, its not a complicated problem, its a fact that Jasper/PWSH track is in a diffrent leauge than Allen High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas