Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2006, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 10,952 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a nice sized town in Alabama (population 59,000). My son would like me to move to Dallas where he lives. I'd love to do this, BUT......

I'm a senior citizen with the requistite "fixed income" and am VERY concerned that the cost of living in Dallas might have an adverse effect on my finances.

I need to know how much it costs to do the following in Dallas County:

1) Get a driver's license
2) Register my vehicle
3) Any other expenses you think of that I haven't mentioned

I now pay $390/month for a very nice two bedroom apartment in a lovely neighborhood with beautiful landscaping, etc. Anyone know of somewhere I can get this kind of deal in Dallas? Or even if it's possible at all?

If you moved to Dallas from a smaller community, by how much did your car insurance premium increase?

Many thanks for any help you can give me with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2006, 03:21 PM

34 posts, read 157,387 times
Default To move or not to move.......

Hello Sojourner...

I spent 3-4 months doing a lot of research before we moved from California the first part of April. You are very wise to question those things now. Many do not seem to take into account the cost of anything except housing before they move. Here are a few answers that I hope help.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/vtrreginfo.htm?pg=faq

This is the Texas Dept. of Transportation website FAQ. Texas goes by age of vehicle when they figure plate fees. Plus, there's a $90 new resident tax and additional taxes from each county (I think Dallas county even charges a bridge tax). Getting the first year plates for a newer model car would be approximately $200+ and that won't include the emissions inspection... usually $39.50. Driver's license is $24.00 for 6 years.

$390 for a nice 2 bedroom in a lovely landscaped neighborhood is highly doubtful in Dallas or any of the suburbs. Triple that and you would be closer although there are some nice senior communities (but I have no idea of their cost.)

One thing that I had a very difficult time getting figures on were utilities and food. What I did find was that utilities seemed to be sky high, obviously due to it being *HOT* here during the summer and the strong need for air conditioning during those times. I have yet to get my first electric bill but I do expect it to be a little higher than what I paid in California due to KWh differences.

Food seems to be a little higher than it was in California but I'm sure that will vary for all parts of the country. What you could do if you are still considering moving is check out some of the weekly ads from the local grocery stores... Tom Thumb, Kroger and Albertsons. If they require a zip code for their ad you can always give them your son's zip code so you can see the local flyers.

Sorry,.. I can't give you a figure on car insurance because we lived in a large metropolitan area so ours went down.

Personally, after reading your information and knowing what is here in the Dallas area, I would suggest that you stay put. I think your dollar would go further where you are than it would here.

Best Regards,

Lany

Old 05-02-2006, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 10,952 times
Default This helps a lot.........

Lany, thanks so much for your input.

Everything you mentioned is considerably higher in Dallas than here.

My current utility bill shows a cost per kilowatt hour of 6.49 where my son is getting his for 13.9 per kilowatt hour in Dallas.

I've checked out Dallas apartments on the 'net and found that, as you said, what I now enjoy would probably be out of the question there.

I suspect your final assessment is correct.

Whatever I do, I appreciate your responding as you have and hope your circumstances will be much to your liking in Dallas, a city which seems to have a lot to offer despite the high cost of living!

Thanks again.

sojourner

Old 05-05-2006, 09:01 PM

Default Glad to help....

I'm glad to have helped Sojourner. Indeed the metroplex does have a lot to offer but that isn't always a good thing either.

Yes, there's the stores and restaurants but there's also the traffic, the costs, the abundance of people and not knowing your neighbor (and sometimes not wanting to know them). Plus, with the internet, what you can't buy at the local 5 and Dime, you can get on the 'net and have it shipped right to your front door.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!

Old 05-05-2006, 09:44 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,862 times
Lany, do you plan on staying in Dallas or going back to California? Just curious because I am thinking of moving to Texas from California. Are you saying it would not be worth it? If you had to do it all over, would you?

Old 06-18-2006, 08:18 PM

Default Better late than never....

I just found this posed question thanks to another forum user pointing it out to me.. (Thanks Purp)

Bound..

God willing, I am in Texas till I die and after that too. It took me 15 years to get back here after I had to leave, I pray I don't have to leave again.

If I had to do it all over again, would I? With everything else aside, yes, in a heartbeat and without a second thought.. however, I would have done it sooner. Not counting all of the years I was away... yes, I'd have moved sooner than we did.

There are some bad things going on in the DFW metroplex that I am not too happy about and some of them have been unsettling to me... sometimes to the point of losing sleep or changing the way I do things. Due to that, hopefully in time, we can move to a more rural area, out further from the metroplex.

Lany

Old 06-03-2009, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 8,350 times
what are bag for the kids?
i think that children are in risk because of the society,because they take some bad things that can cause a big problem in their family. they copy the bad things from each other. in the street they find people that have gum or watch in television, films with kill and still.
i think that their parents should say their children and to know them that what they see in film, and they should choose the programs about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: