Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 01:15 AM

37 posts, read 59,180 times

Advertisements

I hope some of y’all could answer a few questions of mineregarding the Dallas area. I am looking to move back to Texas from Seattle. Wemoved to Seattle three years ago from the Houston area. We loved it our firstyear, but the cost of living up here has skyrocketed to levels of absolute insanityover the last two years. The average house now in the Seattle area is 800k while it’s 295k in Dallas. I make a 100k a year and I am struggling. It’s just nuts. Also, the opioid drug crisis andhomelessness is off the charts. I am a police officer, so I deal with thisevery day. Sadly, the days of Seattle being this clean, quaint Northwest cityare gone. The crime here is through the roof and my wife is pretty much done with it all.

We are looking at Dallas as opposed to going back to Houstonas we would like a fresh start and not take steps backwards. The only problemis we both have very limited knowledge of the entire Metroplex. I am looking at either working for McKinney PD or Irving PD.We do have a five year old who would be in 1st grade next year, so living in atown with good schools are important. I don't have to reside in the town I work in. Overall, we are looking for a nice quiet suburbthat is middle to upper middle class. Good diverse restaurants and convenient shoppingare a plus. McKinney seems like a good place to live. How is Irving interms of living? What would my commutebe like if I worked in Irving, but lived in McKinney? Are there other nicetowns that are outside of both Irving and McKinney that one would recommend? Iam not afraid of a lengthy commute if the town I reside in is worth it.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 07:08 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Sounds like McKinney will suit you just fine. Good school district, and housing can range from cheap homes under $200k to the millions. Stonebridge Ranch is a great community to live in, while also not being too far from McKinney PD.

I have a friend who used to be a cop for McKinney, he enjoyed his time there and still has a lot of friends on the force.

You wouldn't want to commute from McKinney to Irving, or vice versa. I would throw out Prosper for you to look at, as McKinney has grown by leaps and bounds over the last decade. Prosper is just a bit northwest of McKinney, and has more of a small town feel, while still being an easy commute to McKinney. But traffic is not as bad and the school district is also very good.

We moved from McKinney to Prosper because McKinney was getting to be a bit too crowded for our taste. But I think you'd be happy living in either area, and your salary will definitely go farther than it does in Seattle.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:16 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Irving has a great PD. You could work there and in live in Keller, Grapevine or Flower Mound which all have great schools.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:00 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
I wouldn't commute between the two, but McKinney and the areas surrounding Irving (Coppell, Grapevine, Keller, etc) will fit the bill. Not sure about Irving itself--the schools aren't great, except for the portion of Valley Ranch zoned to Coppell ISD

Old 05-20-2018, 10:26 PM

37 posts, read 59,180 times
Thank you all for the helpful information..

Old 05-21-2018, 04:55 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
I would compare salary, benefits and work conditions and use that as a deciding factor. You can pick either and find several options within 30 minutes of your station. Collin County has a lot to offer for for a young family so if all things are equal at job, pick Mckinney. Welcome to DFW and thank you for trying to make this world safe for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas