Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 07:15 PM

132 posts, read 95,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I'm seeking a new city to relocate to from Atlanta, GA. I first visited Los Angelas, which was beautiful, but too expensive. My second visit was to Houston, but I wasn't that impressed. The third city I visited was Dallas, Tx. I really liked Dallas and think I have found my new city. Is it just me or does Dallas have a similar vibe to Southern California? It could just be the fact that I'm in Atlanta where we have trees and woods everywhere. I guess I'm tired of the trees and woods.
Quote:
My second visit was to Houston, but I wasn't that impressed
Lol what?!! How can you dismisshouston just like that? Did you know Houston and Los Angeles are similar in the culture?
Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 07:24 PM

132 posts, read 95,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Unlike most here I actually grew up in SoCal and Dallas reminds me of Social more than any other place. Very similar vibe. Plano is very much like Irvine. Southlake is very much like San Marino. I laugh when someone said HP is like Beverly Hills. Not even close. HP is like Hancock Park in Socal. Of course the beach areas can't be replicated, but neither can the newer nicer areas of Dallas with the proximity to the city.

My wife loved CA and loves Dallas.

Dallas is not similar to Los Angeles at all.

I live in Houston and travel to Los Angeles a lot. My parents are still there.

If anything Houston has more of that LA vibe.

Similar attitude. People who love their city.

You're from socal, so picture Los Angeles and San Francisco.

They have similar landscape but the attitudes and people are totally the opposite.

That's why it's not fair to compare Houston and Dallas and say that they are more alike than anything because they're not.

the only thing they have similar is the landscape

I might be a little biased here because I now live in Houston but Houston wins when it comes to Vibe, culture and people.

they love Houston here man, and they show it and they're proud just like in LA they love La over there native LA's that is

Old 06-03-2018, 07:44 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
The West side areas of LA do have a similar feel to parts of Dallas (Oak Lawn, Knox District, etc.). Geographically, the areas are very different, but that's okay.

I moved to Dallas from Atlanta about 9 years ago and while I appreciate the pros of Atlanta, the pros of Dallas seem better for me personally. I was totally in the same place you were now in terms of trying to make a decision. I still feel like a lot of the plans/ideas Atlanta has for a future vision, Dallas already has those things in place. From a cultural perspective, Dallas will be more multi-cultural while Atlanta still has a Deep South (black and white) culture even though it is more diverse now that is has been in the past. I grew up in Ohio so I totally got that claustrophobic feel from the very wooded metro area in Atlanta. While it can be pretty, that heavily wooded forest look consumes that entire region with very little change of scenery until you get near the coast and it takes away from the big city feel Atlanta could have more of.

I say, give Dallas a chance and make sure you pick the right neighborhood that steals your heart. Nothing is worse than people that move here to some bland far out burb then come on here and complain about how boring "Dallas" is. DFW is a huge area with a lot of different choices for different types of people.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:02 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,367,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
That's why it's not fair to compare Houston and Dallas and say that they are more alike than anything because they're not.
Houston is the city that is most similar to Dallas, and it's not even a close call. And vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas