Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 05:24 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,111,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is exactly correct and one of the big reasons I chose WP over HP.

It all catches up to you in the end, I suppose.
Highland Park has had the highest property values, lowest crime, and best schools for the last 101 years so I'm not so sure when "it" is all going to catch up to them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is exactly correct and one of the big reasons I chose WP over HP.

It all catches up to you in the end, I suppose.
I'm also amazed that people I pressure value diversity enough to enroll their kids at the most progressive private school in Dallas would be so against living in relative proximity to economic diversity...

Old 05-22-2018, 06:27 PM

964 posts, read 868,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Highland Park has had the highest property values, lowest crime, and best schools for the last 101 years so I'm not so sure when "it" is all going to catch up to them....
Well the first 2 are correct. I, and many other publications rate other schools higher especially if athletics matter.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:36 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,077,267 times
Quote:
I'm also amazed that people I pressure value diversity enough to enroll their kids at the most progressive private school in Dallas would be so against living in relative proximity to economic diversity...
You'll have to explain what one has to do with the other.

I've also never been a proponent of diversity for the sake of diversity.

Low income "diversity" ruined our zoned elementary school- the reason we looked into private school in the first place.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:38 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,077,267 times
Quote:
This is an excellent point.

We've done a crappy job of absorbing this in Plano. Will have to figure out why.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Makes perfect sense. Why would I want economic diversity when the most obvious reason for the chasm between higher economic status and lower economic status is almost always education. The reason all the rich areas have the best schools is because the parents realize education is the key and focus on that starting at a young age. I think if you truly dove into people's mindset you would see that the utopian situation would be similar economic goals, with high diversity where education is the focus. Most people realize that if you send your kids to a private school (meaning you are paying for it) you value education. You then look at the next goal for your child which would be diversity and experiencing things they might not be able to under normal circumstances.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Makes perfect sense. Why would I want economic diversity when the most obvious reason for the chasm between higher economic status and lower economic status is almost always education. The reason all the rich areas have the best schools is because the parents realize education is the key and focus on that starting at a young age. I think if you truly dove into people's mindset you would see that the utopian situation would be similar economic goals, with high diversity where education is the focus. Most people realize that if you send your kids to a private school (meaning you are paying for it) you value education. You then look at the next goal for your child which would be diversity and experiencing things they might not be able to under normal circumstances.
Oh, I don't know.....maybe so you don't raise privileged brats who brag about their Bentleys and have little to no empathy for others??

The private schools go out of their way to fund tuition for qualified low-income students for whom a private education would otherwise be out of reach. These students can be anywhere from 10-25% of the population at local private schools. Harvard & the other Ivies also recognize the importance of economic diversity by waiving tuition for families making under $60k. You don't have to be rich to value education.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, I don't know.....maybe so you don't raise privileged brats who brag about their Bentleys and have little to no empathy for others??

The private schools go out of their way to fund tuition for qualified low-income students for whom a private education would otherwise be out of reach. These students can be anywhere from 10-25% of the population at local private schools. Harvard & the other Ivies also recognize the importance of economic diversity by waiving tuition for families making under $60k. You don't have to be rich to value education.
Empathy for others? I bet I help more people in a year (for free) than you have in your lifetime. I work on thousands (literally) of people with little to no healthcare, veterans, and low income and literally take no fee at all and many times fix an ailment that has affected them for years. Many times I travel hundreds of miles (on my own dime) and spend days away from my family to do so.

I never said that not one low income individual cares about education but on a mass scale they do not. There are certainly instances of low income individuals caring more than high income, but as a whole it simply isn't true.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:35 PM

816 posts, read 913,400 times
40 townhomes at McDermott and Coit will not be out of place considering that there are two apartment complexes to the north, and three townhouse subdivisions on McDermott between Coit and Ohio. Between the three there are probably 400 townhomes.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:24 PM

130 posts, read 152,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
They are fixing and repairing small homes on the east side. The city teams with Habitat for Humanity and couple of different churches to fix up a few homes on the east side every year. ...
It's happening, albeit at a slow pace.

First-time homeowner returns to childhood community | Plano Star Courier | starlocalmedia.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas