Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 04:50 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times

Advertisements

I do see many of these cases, Plano graduates moving back and buying homes to raise their families here. Even my own want to do that when its time to settle down.

As far as disscussion about HP, its easy to preach diversity to others but difficult to practice it in your own backyard. HP can teach by example and allow a small affordable housing complex.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 05-23-2018 at 05:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 07:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am.
Why does everywhere have to be affordable to all and where do you draw the line?
Nobody said "affordable to all," but wouldn't it be better if businesses in affluent areas lacking good public transportation options made it easier for some of the low-wage workers to live closer to work?

I mean, seriously...y'all want to have your cake and eat it too. You can't expect people to wash dishes for minimum wage and pay $1300 in rent every month. Someone working full-time on minimum wage doesn't even net $1300/mo. They'd struggle to pay half that amount in rent.

The number of low-wage workers stacked half a dozen deep in motel rooms/extended stay "hotels" or sleeping in their cars would probably shock you. I wonder if you'd care. You do realize that a lot of people in homeless shelters actually have jobs, right?

Old 05-23-2018, 08:58 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Empathy for others? I bet I help more people in a year (for free) than you have in your lifetime. I work on thousands (literally) of people with little to no healthcare, veterans, and low income and literally take no fee at all and many times fix an ailment that has affected them for years. Many times I travel hundreds of miles (on my own dime) and spend days away from my family to do so.

Bragging about charity? I think that's a new low, even for you.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:05 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nobody said "affordable to all," but wouldn't it be better if businesses in affluent areas lacking good public transportation options made it easier for some of the low-wage workers to live closer to work?

I mean, seriously...y'all want to have your cake and eat it too. You can't expect people to wash dishes for minimum wage and pay $1300 in rent every month. Someone working full-time on minimum wage doesn't even net $1300/mo. They'd struggle to pay half that amount in rent.

This didn't used to be a problem in Plano. As an economist, it's always been my position that most low wage jobs are not intended to be able to support a family, and in some cases, not even the rent in certain areas.

Low wage jobs are what kids living at home are for. They're not paying rent. They're earning enough to put gas in their cars, buy clothes and things they want, and having money to go out on the weekends while they're still in school. Plano's got an abundance of kids for a whole lot of minimum wage jobs... But maybe that's the problem. They no longer want to work a minimum wage job, which forces those positions to be filled by people who do not live in Plano.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
This didn't used to be a problem in Plano. As an economist, it's always been my position that most low wage jobs are not intended to be able to support a family, and in some cases, not even the rent in certain areas.

Low wage jobs are what kids living at home are for. They're not paying rent. They're earning enough to put gas in their cars, buy clothes and things they want, and having money to go out on the weekends while they're still in school. Plano's got an abundance of kids for a whole lot of minimum wage jobs... But maybe that's the problem. They no longer want to work a minimum wage job, which forces those positions to be filled by people who do not live in Plano.
Maybe that was true in the 1970s, but the low-wage sector is where the most job growth has occurred and you don't have to be an economist to realize that wage growth lags far behind inflation...additionally, housing costs have skyrocketed here in recent years.

I doubt there are enough 16-18 year olds in Plano to satisfy demand for every minimum-wage job out there. Plus, who's going to wash the dishes, mop the floors, and flip the burgers while the kids are in school, doing their homework, or participating in the myriad of scheduled activities their parents have planned for them?

When those kids' parents go out to lunch on a weekday with their work buddies, who do you think is cooking the food and working the register? Not high school kids.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:11 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:

But how is that supposed to work? Are all the nail salons, restaurants, car washes, etc supposed to be closed while kids are in school and magicly open when school gets out at 4pm? Is it realistic to think that high school kids are going to be serving you or making your burrito when you go out to lunch on workdays? College kids have more flexible schedules but UTD and Collin College don't enroll enough students to staff ALL the hourly jobs in Collin County either.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:26 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
But how is that supposed to work?
Don't ask him, he's an 'economist'. LOL.

Quote:
This didn't used to be a problem in Plano.
That's because plenty of houses and apartments in and near Plano used to be affordable on minimum wage salaries.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:16 PM

964 posts, read 877,460 times
Quote:
Bragging about charity? I think that's a new low, even for you.

No proving a point that I have probably more empathy than most here do. I guess I better be careful because we know you might cry like a baby and tell a mod you got hurt.

Let me know when you change hundreds of peoples lives for free yearly. I'll wait......likely forever.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:25 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
No proving a point that I have probably more empathy than most here do. I guess I better be careful because we know you might cry like a baby and tell a mod you got hurt.

Let me know when you change hundreds of peoples lives for free yearly. I'll wait......likely forever.
Wow that’s the most impressive example of charity and empathy I’ve heard.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:05 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Wow that’s the most impressive example of charity and empathy I’ve heard.
Yeah, I'm sure all of those vets and low income patients can just feel his disdain for them coming out of every pore on his body. And I bet they love hearing about his Bentley. Not what I would call empathy considering the way he speaks about the less fortunate on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas