Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 05:05 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
If it doesn't work for you, that's fine - I have very good success with it (and yes, clearly use it for more than literally just walking to my car, lol).
Don't bother arguing. Everyone who actually works outside some and has tried it knows you are correct.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:58 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Also you're not considering all this dry weather will start drying out the vegetation. That is how droughts start. Drought begets drought, weather 101. This ridge ain't going anywhere...
Thanks for confirming that your understanding of weather is still at the surface level. Like I said, cBach, do your homework.

Vegetation-air moisture feedback is only but one factor regarding drought formation, and even then, it's only a localized influence at best. Larger scale atmospheric dynamics far supersede anything else when it comes to drought formation. These dynamics include seasonal changes in weather patterns ... like the northward shift of a subtropical ridge during summer. Yep, this ridge in Texas right now is only temporary.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:24 PM

61 posts, read 48,224 times
Heh, I was born in Arlington and moved out to Phoenix for a job 3 years ago.

I remember countless times where it was in the 100's (growing up in Arlington), the only thing different right now is the time of the year that it's occurring as others have mentioned and the amount of days forecasted for it.

As far as cooling off in Phoenix like some people think in the summer, nope, not with all the ****ing concrete and people moving here. Right now it's decent at night but soon it will be 80's and sometimes close to 90 at 5am. Now outside of summer, the temp drops like a rock at night here which I LOVE. Just hard to grin and bare it here in the summer, a lot of people here hate it.

I will say that I don't miss the humidity one bit, however I miss the rain

Old 05-31-2018, 08:16 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Thanks for confirming that your understanding of weather is still at the surface level. Like I said, cBach, do your homework.

Vegetation-air moisture feedback is only but one factor regarding drought formation, and even then, it's only a localized influence at best. Larger scale atmospheric dynamics far supersede anything else when it comes to drought formation. These dynamics include seasonal changes in weather patterns ... like the northward shift of a subtropical ridge during summer. Yep, this ridge in Texas right now is only temporary.
If you study the weather patterns in North Central/North Texas, rainfall peaks in Spring and there is a minimum in July (for the year). The reason is an upper level high pressure system that never fails to arrive. It's arrived every year I've lived here, even the rainy ones.

If rain was going to fall, it would happen in May and June. July and August are among the driest months. Now September could get a large tropical storm or a cold front but it would be temporary and then back to hot dry weather.

No, you are the one that is not familiar with the weather patterns of Texas. Study the historical climate of Dallas and come back to us, okay?

Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
If you study the weather patterns in North Central/North Texas, rainfall peaks in Spring and there is a minimum in July (for the year). The reason is an upper level high pressure system that never fails to arrive. It's arrived every year I've lived here, even the rainy ones.

If rain was going to fall, it would happen in May and June. July and August are among the driest months. Now September could get a large tropical storm or a cold front but it would be temporary and then back to hot dry weather.
But we aren't talking about the average year, we're talking specifically about this year. And this year, the high pressure may very well move north enough to give even North Central/North Texas rain.

The reason is simple. In most years, the high pressure doesn't even come into the picture in Texas until July, as it's holed up in Mexico: any dryness during the springs of those years would be coming from super-active elevated mixed layers, not from actual ridging. But this year, the high pressure is making its arrival in May. And as anyone familiar with weather patterns would know, subtropical high pressure migrates poleward during the summer. Given that knowledge, it's not hard to figure out why the summer of this year has a healthy chance of being wet, perhaps even in the northern parts of the state.

Quote:
No, you are the one that is not familiar with the weather patterns of Texas. Study the historical climate of Dallas and come back to us, okay?
I'm very familiar with Texas weather patterns. But unlike you, I do my homework, which is how I'm able to figure out the innate processes behind those patterns. So I have a good sense of of which years will feature wetter summers for Texas. And this year is shaping up to be one of those.

The future is looking even wetter. Because of tropics expansion, the wind belts will shift poleward as time goes on. South Texas will become like Veracruz, Mexico, just you watch.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:30 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post

The future is looking even wetter. Because of tropics expansion, the wind belts will shift poleward as time goes on. South Texas will become like Veracruz, Mexico, just you watch.
That's not the way it works and you know it.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
That's not the way it works and you know it.
That's most definitely the way it works. Not hard to figure, my dude, just check out weather patterns in neighboring Mexico.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:48 AM

FYI - just saw the expected high heat index for the weekend will be 107 or 108F. Hot for sure but nowhere near the 120+ nonsense thrown about a few pages back.

Carry on.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:11 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
FYI - just saw the expected high heat index for the weekend will be 107 or 108F. Hot for sure but nowhere near the 120+ nonsense thrown about a few pages back.

Carry on.
Earlier forecasts were calling for 106 highs. That an 36% RH will get you to 120.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Earlier forecasts were calling for 106 highs. That an 36% RH will get you to 120.
Right, but those two things don't happen at the same time around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas