Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 10:39 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That might be Phoenix. A yard of sand and stone is very unusual in Dallas, and would lose a lot of the value of home.

Last few years I have not watered my yard at all, and yet it's still green.
FWIIW the guy I was responding to lives in Las Vegas.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:59 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We haven't looked hard at Boise because of its remote location and comparatively weak job market but we're keeping an open mind. Plus, we have no idea how long we'll still be here. Could be 2 years, could be 15. A lot can change in that time!
Yeah, while that certainly is true, remote is pretty relative.

Dallas is close to the big Texas cities and Oklahoma, but not much else.

If being close to other large sprawling metropolises is important, Dallas has you covered, but if being close to mountains and outdoors stuff and nice weather is important, Dallas is pretty remote from those things.

In my experience while Dallas has more "Stuff" (places to eat, people to date, nightlife options). On a day to day basis, Boise offers most of the same things on a more limited basis or smaller scale. To me, thats fine, I don't need 15 malls within an hour of where I live, 2 is enough. SLC isn't THAT far, but I can't remember a time when I needed something I couldn't get in Boise, other regional foods aside, perhaps. Dallas is still a good 3.5 hours from Austin, so this isn't a DC, Philly, Baltimore, NYC type cluster.

Might still be too remote for you, it certainly is remote population wise compared to Dallas, but it might be worth a look based on your preferences. The weather is great.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:03 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah, while that certainly is true, remote is pretty relative.

Dallas is close to the big Texas cities and Oklahoma, but not much else.

If being close to other large sprawling metropolises is important, Dallas has you covered, but if being close to mountains and outdoors stuff and nice weather is important, Dallas is pretty remote from those things.

In my experience while Dallas has more "Stuff" (places to eat, people to date, nightlife options). On a day to day basis, Boise offers most of the same things on a more limited basis or smaller scale. To me, thats fine, I don't need 15 malls within an hour of where I live, 2 is enough. SLC isn't THAT far, but I can't remember a time when I needed something I couldn't get in Boise, other regional foods aside, perhaps. Dallas is still a good 3.5 hours from Austin, so this isn't a DC, Philly, Baltimore, NYC type cluster.

Might still be too remote for you, it certainly is remote population wise compared to Dallas, but it might be worth a look based on your preferences. The weather is great.
Thanks...we'll keep it in consideration.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:07 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
Would you move to the Pacific northwest?
Too many cloudy days, I get SAD, would be depressed there.

Boise is too cold in the winter. It's way too dry as well, would set off lots of skin conditions in me.

The Sunbelt is the only portion of the US that works for me, California is best as it's low humidity in the summer with cool nights and high humidity in the winter when you need it. TX and the Southeast is marginally good although I'm not a fan of super high humidity. The Southwest would be an option, although the heat may get a bit much. 80 degrees in February would be nice though.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:59 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
The Southwest would be an option, although the heat may get a bit much. 80 degrees in February would be nice though.
Flagstaff AZ. One of the nicest little cities in the US. And if you want 80F in Feb, Phoenix is only 1.5 hours away.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:45 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
The heat in DFW didn’t bother me much. It’s a much drier heat than here in Georgia. What affected me were the long spans between precipitation events during the summer and there are no short day trips where you can drive to get away from the heat.

Outside of the June-late September dry blaze, I feel DFW’s long span of nice weather months are underrated.
This exactly. Focusing on the summer months while neglecting to acknowledge the often lovely weather the other 3/4 of the year does a disservice.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:31 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Focusing on the summer months while neglecting to acknowledge the often lovely weather the other 3/4 of the year does a disservice.
Dallas would really be helped in this regard if it got rid of daylight savings time (or whatever). Who cares if it's nice in January if the sun goes down at 6:00pm? You get zero time to enjoy it. In the summer, it's sunny until 9:00pm and hottest when you get off work at 5:00pm. That's the difference.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Dallas would really be helped in this regard if it got rid of daylight savings time (or whatever). Who cares if it's nice in January if the sun goes down at 6:00pm? You get zero time to enjoy it. In the summer, it's sunny until 9:00pm and hottest when you get off work at 5:00pm. That's the difference.
I take your point, but not everyone works traditional hours. Furthermore, if you have a nice outdoor area (covered patio, hot tub, fire pit, things like that), you can still enjoy your own backyard in the evenings, even in the winter.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:52 PM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This exactly. Focusing on the summer months while neglecting to acknowledge the often lovely weather the other 3/4 of the year does a disservice.

While it did start late this year, hot weather in Dallas is not 3 months, not even close to that. Also we often have very non-lovely weather outside of the summer months, like in the spring. Again, this year, has been mild in this regard.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
While it did start late this year, hot weather in Dallas is not 3 months, not even close to that. Also we often have very non-lovely weather outside of the summer months, like in the spring. Again, this year, has been mild in this regard.
Your comment illustrates my point.

Yes I know it will be/can be 90 in October and 20 in January. I know this is not Southern California. I know there are severe storms.

But it will also be 75 in March and 70 in November and while that may not be everyone's preference, it is perfectly lovely weather. People don't want to talk about that and they just want to complain about the extremes or the lack of seasons or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas