Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 09:54 AM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
My preference is a place with four seasons and DFW somewhat has that.
Unfortunately the catch is the 2 best seasons (Spring/Fall) each only last about a month here.

Oh, and they're often rainy.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:56 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post

A typical winter day in Dallas is 55-60 during the day with 35-40 at night. That's ok, but it's not a winter snowbird escape kind of place. I even thought Phoenix and Tucson had overrated winters because while 65-70 would be typical winter days there, the night time lows would be in the 30s. Miami/Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando, and Honolulu have better winters than Phoenix, Tucson, or Dallas.
I haven't been to those other places, so to me Phoenix is still Paradise in the 'winter'. My first one I was like ? We get a FEW perfect days per year in Texas and I woke up to one after another in Phoenix, as gobsmacked by that as I had been the searing heat.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
I'm okay with these DFW winter temps.
While I said that winter isn't that great here, it is passable. 55-60 is pretty good for a winter day. Much better than a Northeast or Midwest winter. Just not Florida or Hawaii good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
I wouldn't go as far as saying there's no reason to take a vacation here its actually a cool place to visit for a few days. There's alot to see in Dallas Fort Worth
It is difficult for me to imagine someone assessing a multitude of vacation options in the continental United States and somehow deciding to spend 3-7 days in Dallas. There is no beach, no mountains, and usually not spectacular weather at a common vacation time. Vacations in October are rare.

Within Texas, there are better vacation options. South Padre Island in the November-March time frame is better than Dallas. There are the Davis Mountains in West Texas. Big Bend is out there too. San Antonio has the Alamo and a SeaWorld location. DFW has the FW Stockyards and the JFK assassination site.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:26 PM

937 posts, read 743,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I was in Boston a few weeks ago and frankly it was more uncomfortable than here. And this was after their heatwave broke (they had one over 4th of July time frame).

Hot and humid, and many buildings aren’t nice and chilly when you get into them. Some people don’t even have air conditioning. I grew up in New England and places like Maine Vermont and New Hampshire are charming and very pleasant in summer. The rest? I can live without it at this point.
My relatives live in a coastal town outside of Boston so hopefully it will be cooler there. I checked the temps the other day there and it was in the 70's-80's there. They stayed often at my place in CO and so now it's time for me to crash often with them to get out the DFW heat! Very cheap flights from DFW into Boston.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:11 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
The Excessive Heat Warning has been cancalled tomorrow for Dallas and Tarrant Counties. An Heat Advisory (a step below an Excessive Heat Warning) has been issued for Dallas and Tarrant Counties.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:12 PM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times
I used to live in CT, they have a different set of problems there ... My house in CT had a septic tank and a 500 gallon propane tank buried underground. I also had well water. The electricity was from power grid, but it was delivered over above ground utility poles. In winter, I did not enjoy the part of shoveling snow and often the snowblower did not work well. Propane and septic tanks must be scheduled with liquid trucks, and supplies were not good. Freezing rain was no fun because of those above ground utility poles ... now think about it, stay cool and enjoy A/C.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
I used to live in CT, they have a different set of problems there ... .
And that's just it. There aren't many perfect places. You often are just trading in one set of unpleasantries or disadvantages in for another! What I like about DFW is that the COL is lower, housing is more affordable, and you can just kind of distract yourself a bit if you plan a couple of little trips during the unpleasant summer months to get through it. Then for the rest of the year, it's not bad at all. You can really carve out a nice enough life here if you put the effort into it. If you get out and mingle here, you will soon realize that people from all over live here and so I think the social aspects here are something to really focus on. Sure, there are no mountains or ocean but there are opportunities for fun, interesting socializing if you get out and look for it. I honestly have met some really super sweet, kind people here so far. They are very open hearted and easy to talk to and love to socialize and talk a lot which is right up my alley and what I am culturally used to.

Last edited by Chloe333; 07-22-2018 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 06:12 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
Quote:
And that's just it. There aren't many perfect places. You often are just trading in one set of unpleasantries or disadvantages in for another!
And there's the rub.

If I was a billionaire though I'd totally live out West somewhere.

Scenery and weather are much better, generally speaking.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
And there's the rub.

If I was a billionaire though I'd totally live out West somewhere.

Scenery and weather are much better, generally speaking.
But in the mean time, I bet you could take a few trips here and there during the worst DFW months to experience it. Now some of those Western places are also known as the Suicide Belt. There can be higher rates of depression, drug use, and suicide in some of those remote mountain ski towns. The walls of the place can start to close in, plus it's tough making money in those places, and also they think oxygen levels could play a role in it as well.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:21 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
But in the mean time, I bet you could take a few trips here and there during the worst DFW months to experience it. Now some of those Western places are also known as the Suicide Belt. There can be higher rates of depression, drug use, and suicide in some of those remote mountain ski towns. The walls of the place can start to close in, plus it's tough making money in those places, and also they think oxygen levels could play a role in it as well.
I'm guessing they are referring to Coastal California though.

Coastal California (mid way around Santa Barbara) is the best climate in the world. Never too hot and never too cold, almost always "windows open" weather.

If I had unlimited funds that's where I would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas