Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 AM

313 posts, read 368,323 times

Advertisements

I just read about Hancock Park. It's 20% Orthodox Jews and 70% white. It doesn't have a good public school system, especially at the high school level. It does have the Marlborough School. Wouldn't that make it more like north Dallas (Forest to Beltline)? $85K median household income.

I live in UP. Unfortunately, it is over 90% white. It has a great high school which is why we picked to move to UP from NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 08:35 AM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
I just read about Hancock Park. It's 20% Orthodox Jews and 70% white. It doesn't have a good public school system, especially at the high school level. It does have the Marlborough School. Wouldn't that make it more like north Dallas (Forest to Beltline)? $85K median household income.

I live in UP. Unfortunately, it is over 90% white. It has a great high school which is why we picked to move to UP from NYC.
As I said you simply won't get perfect anywhere. I found the surroundings similar and the proximity to LA similar. Yeah the schools are terrible. You have these older non-tract big homes in its own little bubble. I feel like if you took someone from Hancock Park or from HP (here)and plopped them in the other they would say yeah it feels somewhat close.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:40 AM

419 posts, read 553,443 times
We lived in Long Beach for a few years. My office was in Newport Beach but my job took me in a 2 hr radius of LA. I spent as little time in LA County as possible, only going for work and to visit friends in the beach cities (which cannot be compared to Little Elm and The Colony, imo).

I think there's a couple posts here that nail the city comparisons. Or at least as close as you are going to get. Plano to Irvine is probably the closest you're going to get. There are a few neighborhoods in Dallas itself that remind me of the trendier areas of Long Beach. The overall feel cannot be compared. It's completely different.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:07 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keribeth818 View Post
We lived in Long Beach for a few years. My office was in Newport Beach but my job took me in a 2 hr radius of LA. I spent as little time in LA County as possible, only going for work and to visit friends in the beach cities (which cannot be compared to Little Elm and The Colony, imo).

I think there's a couple posts here that nail the city comparisons. Or at least as close as you are going to get. Plano to Irvine is probably the closest you're going to get. There are a few neighborhoods in Dallas itself that remind me of the trendier areas of Long Beach. The overall feel cannot be compared. It's completely different.
Just for the record The Colony and Little Elm thing was a joke.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 AM

419 posts, read 553,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Just for the record The Colony and Little Elm thing was a joke.
Ha! Must have read that before my coffee...Obvious to me now.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:28 AM

222 posts, read 282,047 times
Nothing alike period

Old 06-01-2018, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 1,989 times
It's an impossible question to answer. We moved from SoCal (PV) to Dallas (McKinney) 2 years ago and there are zero similarities. Aside from stats it totally depends on the individual.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:28 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Fred Norris View Post
I fly to LAX maybe six times a year, every year, for several years. For 1-2 weeks each stay. Very familiar with the area.

Arlington = Anaheim, minus the enormous mass transit infrastructure.
Beverly Hills = Highland Park, University Park. Not nearly as glitzly as Beverly Hills is however, closer to Pasadena maybe.
Grand Prairie and West Dallas = Hawthorne, lots of warehouses and trucking activity and factories
Richardson, East Plano = Rowland Heights, City of Industry and Hacienda Heights
South Oak Cliff or East Fort Worth = Inglewood, Westmont
West Plano = a less nice, more crowded version of Irvine
NE Dallas, Garland, Mesquite = roughly the area from El Monte down to Cerritos
Hurst, Euless, Bedford = Orange and Santa Ana
Far North Fort Worth, Keller = Pomona, Ontario

There are no rough equivalents to places like Santa Monica, Pasadena, Torrance, Hollywood, Burbank. We don't have an ocean, mountains or a huge TV/movie industry.

Arlington-Anaheim, BH-HP, GP/West Dallas-Hawthorne, South Oak Cliff/East FW-Inglewood, West Plano-Irvine are all good comparisons.

The ones in bold I think should be instead:

Richardson, East Plano = Glendale
--Both Glendale and Richardson have big business districts, which Rowland and Hacienda Heights lack.

NE Dallas, Garland, Mesquite = Harbor City, Gardena, Carson
--I think these cities fit better demographically and for what they are for their respective metros.

H-E-B = Arcadia, Duarte, Monrovia
Small self-contained cities all next to each other with the one on the west side having the large mall for their corner of the region.

Far North FW, Keller = Redlands, Loma Linda
--If it weren't for the mountains these places would look similar. Redlands still has some of that open vibe that you get in Far North FW.

DFW's Torrance is Grapevine-Flower Mound.

Last edited by DabOnEm; 06-01-2018 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-01-2018, 09:11 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
North Oak Cliff= Echo Park

Old 06-02-2018, 05:50 AM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post

Arlington-Anaheim, BH-HP, GP/West Dallas-Hawthorne, South Oak Cliff/East FW-Inglewood, West Plano-Irvine are all good comparisons.

The ones in bold I think should be instead:

Richardson, East Plano = Glendale
--Both Glendale and Richardson have big business districts, which Rowland and Hacienda Heights lack.

NE Dallas, Garland, Mesquite = Harbor City, Gardena, Carson
--I think these cities fit better demographically and for what they are for their respective metros.

H-E-B = Arcadia, Duarte, Monrovia
Small self-contained cities all next to each other with the one on the west side having the large mall for their corner of the region.

Far North FW, Keller = Redlands, Loma Linda
--If it weren't for the mountains these places would look similar. Redlands still has some of that open vibe that you get in Far North FW.

DFW's Torrance is Grapevine-Flower Mound.
There are some horrible comparisons here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas