Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 11:37 AM

1,032 posts, read 875,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Americans should never bring shorts or tennis shoes to France. You guys stick out like sore thumbs. People can spot you from a mile away. It makes you a target and frankly, Europeans hate the way Americans dress.
As someone who spends about 4 months of his year in Europe, I agree totally.

Europeans make fun of American sneakers, baseball caps and light jeans. It's a quintessential thing we do and it makes us look absolutely odd in other parts of the world.

When in Rome...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 11:55 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
As someone who spends about 4 months of his year in Europe, I agree totally.

Europeans make fun of American sneakers, baseball caps and light jeans. It's a quintessential thing we do and it makes us look absolutely odd in other parts of the world.

When in Rome...
Opposite as well. Two good friends are Rhone Region winery owners. They and their fams come over about once per year to shop at Northpark and rent fast V-8 powered cars. Looking a them one would not know they are French.........but would know without a word said that they are from Europe.

It's funny to me that so many Americans envy much about Europe all the while so many Europeans would move here in a flash if they could.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:57 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
If you have money and want an interesting lifestyle, Europe is a better choice. If you are poor, Europe is a great choice. If you are middle class, life in America is better in almost every way.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:13 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
If you have money and want an interesting lifestyle, Europe is a better choice. If you are poor, Europe is a great choice. If you are middle class, life in America is better in almost every way.
I'm not too sure about middle class either..... Not everyone is interested in a dull, suburban existence. I think if you're super rich, America is great. This country is obsessed with money and hustling. That's the only form of cultural cohesion here that unites everyone, including poor people. The pursuit of more $$$.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:16 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It's funny to me that so many Americans envy much about Europe all the while so many Europeans would move here in a flash if they could.
Quintessential American "exceptionalism" right there . Look, no place is perfect. There are pros & cons to everywhere, including the U.S. We are not #1 in everything, except for incarceration rate. Or consumption of anti-depressants.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:36 PM

95 posts, read 123,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Quintessential American "exceptionalism" right there . Look, no place is perfect. There are pros & cons to everywhere, including the U.S. We are not #1 in everything, except for incarceration rate. Or consumption of anti-depressants.

Yes. This. I don't know one single European that would move here in a "flash". I'm not originally American so I know people outside of this country who live all over the world.

Personally, I would move to Europe in a heartbeat if I could. Unfortunately hubby's job is not one he can work overseas but trust me I've looked into it! And pretty much every friend I have would love the opportunity to go live in Europe as well. Maybe not "forever", but definitely for a period of time.If you have children, Scandinavia is the place to be for education not number 30 ranked the United States. How embarrassing.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:31 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Some may be Chinese immitations
The way I laughed at this post! LOL 🤣

Old 06-02-2018, 08:30 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,112,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailbaby View Post
Yes. This. I don't know one single European that would move here in a "flash". I'm not originally American so I know people outside of this country who live all over the world.

Personally, I would move to Europe in a heartbeat if I could. Unfortunately hubby's job is not one he can work overseas but trust me I've looked into it! And pretty much every friend I have would love the opportunity to go live in Europe as well. Maybe not "forever", but definitely for a period of time.If you have children, Scandinavia is the place to be for education not number 30 ranked the United States. How embarrassing.
What prevents you? Just out of curiosity. Visa/immigration reasons?

Old 06-02-2018, 11:34 PM

95 posts, read 123,548 times
LOL. No. Nothing to do with getting a visa. If I was younger, single, no kids it would be easy. I should have done it in my 20’s.

It’s just not easy to up and move to another country. My husband would probably never do it. Vacation, yes. Move, I doubt it. I have friends that recently did it. Picked up their 3 kids and moved to Thailand.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:51 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
It was a weekend trip to Dallas around 1985 or 1986, Me and a friend were refused entrance into a nightclub in Dallas because of the way we were dressed. We weren't dressed bad. T-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes. We didn't look like riff-raff or panhandlers or trouble or dirty, or threatening in any kind of way.

I couldn't believe it. I been kicked out of a few bars and clubs in my lifetime, but I never have been denied entrance to any. It was a nice night club but it wasn't a fancy night club. It was in a strip center that had a Tom Thumb grocery store on Lovers Lane just east of 75. We walked away and wondering who in the hell do these people think they are to not admit us to their snooty club? I felt very insulted, but at the same time, we couldn't stop laughing about it. We laughed about it all the way to a club in Arlington where we were welcomed by a doorman who acted like he was really happy to see us. We stayed until closing time.

I hadn't thought about that night in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas