Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 6,748 times

Advertisements

My fiancée and I are relocating to Dallas in a few months. We visited last summer and decided we were moving there. Kind of narrowed down to uptown Addison deep Ellum area is more hip And urban ( being we are from Boston). Please correct me if I’m wrong and point me the right direction. Also finding a Job out of state is next to impossible as I tried to get a head start on job hunting. Anyway I am hoping to get an internal transfer but worst case scenario I will move without a job and my fiancée will hang back for a bit until I can secure a something that way we are both not out of a job. Have some rainy day money saved up but does anyone know on average how much should be saved up before moving to Dallas. It’s not as expensive as Boston I believe, I could be wrong. Please advise. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 11:36 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
Where will you stay while you are job hunting? It will be hard (impossible?) to secure a rental without a job or without paying 6+ months up front in cash. It sounds like you need to factor in temporary living expenses until you find something.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:11 PM

i talked to someone at an apartment complex and I was told to qualify I would have to show bank statement with about 3 months rent, good credit, pay a larger deposit or a co signer can also be an option.thats where my fiancée would come in play if she hang back for a bit until I get a job. I did work out cost of living which I based off Boston cost of living, student loans an all. I think dallas is a bit cheaper than Boston in some areas so I might have some cushion. What areas would you recommend for someone who doesn’t want to live in the suburbs. It wasn’t easy for me to tell the difference between city and suburbs when I visited. Everything is intertwined. What would you consider are good locations for young professionals?

Old 06-08-2018, 01:15 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
You need to get a job before you decide where to live. The DFW metro area is as large as the entire state of Connecticut, and we have heavy traffic, so commutes can be very lengthy. Many young professionals live near downtown Dallas, but it can be very expensive to live there, and it would also be a long commute to some parts of the area.

Come down and stay in an extended stay hotel while you job hunt, then once you land a job, bring the fiancée down and you can decide where to live.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:44 PM

@christeP yea that not a bad idea. Downtown seem a little dull to me. Wasn’t what I expected for a big city downtown. Granted there were some pockets that seemed lively but for the most part it seemed more like ppl go there for work and at night it’s dead. I could be wrong though. Honestly I would rather live in a lively hip city that’s far from work.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:10 PM

109 posts, read 123,596 times
We do not have a particularly lively downtown scene at night. In addition to Deep Ellum, you might like Uptown/West Village and the Knox/Henderson area, which are not far from downtown (if you end up working there), but places where you will see people out in the evenings after work and on weekends. Those are also fairly expensive areas to live in, although perhaps not so much if you are comparing it to Boston.

What was it that you liked about Addison and Deep Ellum? In my opinion, there aren't that many places in DFW that are going to qualify as "lively and hip" for someone comparing it to big cities on the East and West coasts. However, we do have areas, such as the ones I named above, with fun bars and restaurants that young people tend to hang out at and you can certainly find concerts and other activities to participate in around town.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:15 PM

125 posts, read 149,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikann View Post
@christeP yea that not a bad idea. Downtown seem a little dull to me. Wasn’t what I expected for a big city downtown. Granted there were some pockets that seemed lively but for the most part it seemed more like ppl go there for work and at night it’s dead. I could be wrong though. Honestly I would rather live in a lively hip city that’s far from work.
I don't know if I would consider Addison hip... If you're looking for apartments, there are a whole bunch of new ones coming up on Ross near downtown. For houses, If you want cheaper homes consider CityPlace and Peak Suburban or the Ceders, those will be in the 100-350k range straight up. In the area that I live, there are many cheap homes (70-150k), but it is south of 30 so it depends on how much you're used to crime and whatnot.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:09 PM

390 posts, read 389,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikann View Post
Downtown may look a little dull now, but there's actually always something going on nowadays. Plus you're close to everything. 10 min from bishop arts, 10 min to lower Greenville, 10 min from knox Henderson, 5 min to deep ellum and uptown , 10-15 min to shops at park lane area Northpark etc. Also only 15-20 min to six flags cowboy stadium area. Downtown is a great location

Old 06-10-2018, 10:33 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Until complete sentences with real words are involved, the use of the term “professional” is spurious at best.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:42 PM

125 posts, read 149,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Until complete sentences with real words are involved, the use of the term “professional” is spurious at best.

One could consider the word pedantic to describe this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas