U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family considering selling McKinney home, seeking home selling ideas, adding home theater, adding pool, buyers incentives, spa on back porch

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:43 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,461,585 times

Advertisements

Were getting the house ready to sell again.. I don't know if it will but it is well worth a try. The huge compliant about our home was it was void of a movie theater and a pool...

I have a big room upstairs I call the play room that I could put a theater in... we have also thought of installing a huge electric pull down screen in the family room and have it there. Our family room already has a c shaped leather cinema sofa and great surround sound. Very dark in there too with the shutters closed.

Do you think adding the theater would be a good idea? Do you think it is better to have a theater room or have it in our family room?

What about a buyers incentive of money towards a home theater and a spa for the back porch?

Last edited by stargazer; 03-28-2008 at 09:56 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 06:03 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,658,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Were getting the house ready to sell again.. I don't know if it will but it is well worth a try. The huge compliant about our home was it was void of a movie theater and a pool...

I have a big room upstairs I call the play room that I could put a theater in... we have also thought of installing a huge electric pull down screen in the family room and have it there. Our family room already has a c shaped leather cinema sofa and great surround sound. Very dark in there too with the shutters closed.

Do you think adding the theater would be a good idea? Do you think it is better to have a theater room or have it in our family room?

What about a buyers incentive of money towards a home theater and a spa for the back porch?
I know that many transplants including myself really like the home theater concept. I actually converted a bedroom in our CA home into a home theater so when we looked at homes in Keller a home theater was a must for us. I also think that I would prefer it to already be in place. Having a buyer incentive for a home theater is not the way to go for me. I would rather have it already there. Just my opinion.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:19 AM

150 posts, read 829,386 times
I know home theater's are are the rage right now for homes above a certain price range. You already know how competitive the market is right now, especially for McKinney homes in a certain price range. If other homes in your neighborhood and price range currently have a media room and you already know it was a often quoted negative for your home (and you have the money to spend) I would think it would be a wise investment to convert that space to a media room. There's not a whole lot you can do about not having a pool and I wouldn't waste an offer for a spa. The realtor can push the fact that your backyard would be the perfect space for a pool w/spa or for a home buyer who wishes to customize an existing home that has a beautiful back yard which is a blank canvass to create their own private paradise. I remember when a pool was a negative selling point years ago and then became like a must have. Maybe there are still people out there who don't want to spend time outside caring for a pool but rather spend time inside watching movies or sporting events inside that media room.

My friends had tried to sell a home over in Stonebridge for several months last year. While it was nice, there hadn't really been any upgrades since it was built. The realtor wanted to list it more than $20K less than what it was originally purchased for. At one point she said there were 18 homes for sale in her price range just with the neighborhood alone. They took it off the market and have spent a lot of sweat equity in doing the upgrades themselves. Their realtor called them about a month ago and said the market was upswinging and wanted to know if they wished to try again. So with fresh paint, flooring, fence and roof they are going to be putting the for sale sign back up in April.

I hope you have great success in selling your house this time.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:51 PM

Today we talked to our realtor and he said that personally he has lost a lot of sales due to no media room.. It took some convincing on my part and when he talked to the agent, it sealed it... were getting one.

I would prefer one in our back family room with an electronic pull down screen that comes out of the ceiling.. close to the kitchen for popcorn but I want to sell this house and will get our 5th bedroom converted and ready... now what color to paint it.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:00 AM

110 posts, read 363,911 times
Hi, since I have looked at 1000's of homes (online) all around and still trying to narrow it down, personally, no pool(have a little one), but maybe a media room. Paint? Neutral colors are the best! All other colors might be good for you and your taste, but add too much personality to the house and as a potential buyer I cannot picture myself living there if there are a lot of different colors and themes throughout the house. This is of course my personal opinion, good luck with it. If it's not to personal, why are you selling, since I am looking at that area also, in my endless research...Thanks

Old 03-30-2008, 02:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 40,699,784 times
As others have said if the price point your trying to sell in TYPICALLY has buyers EXPECTING a "media room" I'd do it. Converting a 5th bedroom to one is a good idea and also keeps your home at "4 bedrooms" which is always the most requisted. If you were losing the 4TH BEDROOM to do a "media room" I would say no. As for the media room walls I would suggest a dark taupe color. No red, blue or green. Red would be the first choice if you wanted to pick a non-neutral color but since this is for "selling the house" go neutral but a DARK neutral to give the "media room effect". Going to light will just give the impression you "converted the bedroom to media room w/ just a few "electronics" thrown in. Get a blackout shade for the window to go under any window treatments. As for the floors if the carpet is neutral and in good shape, leave it. A lot of the newer higher priced homes are going w/ the patterned dark carpets which I LOVE but don't do that just for resale. Put some shelves that can be taken out in the closet to store the media equipment if your doing a ceiling mounted projection. Be carefull if there is a ceiling fan in the room w/ the projection though. They often don't work well together. HOWEVER, a projector DOES make the room warmer and you need some good a/c when it is on w/ a lot of people over. So, if you are going to have it on for showings which I HIGHLY SUGGEST then see if a ceiling fan works or keep the doors open and turn down the a/c to keep it comfortable. The rest of the house might feel a bit on the cold side but you DO NOT want the potential buyers going into that room and feeling like they are stepping into an oven. They won't remember the more "perfect" temp in the "media room" and will think they can always adjust the air temp up if the rest of the house is on the cool side. BUT, they WILL remember going into a HOT room.

For furniture if you have some that will work for now be it some nice chairs and ottomans and a love seat, do that. If you feel you would prefer some media chairs look around for some bargains. Check out Conn's and see if they have the 3 group set they had recently on sale that is a neutral brown "leather". You could always work out a deal to let the media furniture stay if you did not pay much for it and it would cinch the deal.

Check the fabric stores for sales and get a width of dark velvet and make side panels go down along beside the screen for the "movie theater" feel. Cheap to do really and gives it the real "movie room" feel. If you REALLY want you can see about fitting a small microwave on the shelf in the closet w/ some boxes of microwave popcorn sitting beside it and some popcorn buckets or tubs. Target sometimes has the plastic white & red popcorn holders that look like the paper popcorn bags in the dollar section. They are great for a movie as each one is the right size for one person. Could also squeeze a small mini fridge in the closet on the bottom under the shelves for sodas to stay. For really very little expense you can turn the bedroom into a true "media room" so that it LOOKS like it is supposed to be one and not just a bedroom someone sat their large screen tv in w/ some media furniture or sofa.

As for the pool, you CAN sell in a higher price point w/o a pool and still command top dollar if the rest of the house and yard are up to date. I have a neighbor that sold theirs in 30 days just barely under list and they listed at the HIGHEST in the neighborhood EVER with no pool. They did have the media room though.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:38 PM

Great tips! The walls are a bone color and I was thinking chocolate would be good, but taupe is a great color too, infact taupe is probably one my favorite colors for a wall.

The carpet is a beige in there. My brother works for a cinema corp and we were going to see about getting some discounted theater seats. He often gets some deals. I also have a white leather sofa with matching chair and ottoman.

There was a question about why we want to move. We are looking at moving to Frisco or a district where they have a stutter expert for my son. Mckinney does have speech pathologist but having a husband who was cured at 18 from seeing a stutter expert, my husband wants him to be in a place where he can get the help. We currently owe some money which insurance would not pay to a stutter expert( only 300 in the US) which they told us at first they would. My husband saw regular speech pathologist in school and it did nothing but make it worse which is clinically proven that bad therapy makes it worse. Also I am tired of cleaning a 4800 square foot house... really! I have small kids and right now with not being able to afford a maid, I want to downsize to around 3500 square feet in order to be able to afford a maid and a few extras. My home will be listing around 700K, it is a beautiful home with everything you ever dreamed of as far as formals, library, designer kitchen with wolf stove... If I could repeat this same home in a mini version I would do it. LOL. I don't fault Mckinney for not having the stutter expert. Only 1 % of the population in the US stutters, we just wish we had moved to the right district for that when we moved back to the area. My son has been stuttering for about a year now... we have hope with the right expertise, he can be cured just like his dad.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:28 PM

582 posts, read 2,535,461 times
Hi stargazer-(this is totally off topic)

My son also struggled with his speech until middle school so I empathize with your challenge to find a good therapist. We did eventually just have to pay our own speech therapist but we found someone fresh out of school willing to come to our house for cheap. BUT.....the reason I am posting I do remember a special they had on 60 minutes or Good Morning America about 1 year ago regarding speech/stutter. It had something to do with a inplant maybe in the inner ear. I don't remember the specifics but maybe if you googled the ABC web site it would pop up.

Good luck with selling your home...........don't forget to clean out the closets! ;-)

Old 03-31-2008, 04:22 PM

Hey thanks for writing. I have heard of that too. We want to see first if he responds to bio feedback like his dad did. If it doesn't work, then yes it will be something we will truly consider.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:30 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,382,589 times
How much is this going to cost you? Will you be able to regain the costs when you sell? How old is your house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas